Any benefit for online checkin earlier when it's open?

ecgz88

My ship open Dec 8th for online check in, so newbie question Any benefit for online checkin earlier when it's open?

1. I can book the entertainment seats earlier?

2. Since I already bought the dinning package, so I guess booking restaurant doesn't matter since it won't available to me.

3. Do I get a choice to select cabin when check in?, I'm under a guaranteed cabin.

4. Choose a ideal boarding time slot? Will boarding time slot really avoid long lineups?

5. If I did online checkin, in case anything happens I can't cancel the cruise?

Thanks!

I agree with #4…..especially with the purchase of the dining package.

I always get the package because I save some money. The downside to the package is you cannot make any specialty restaurant reservations prior to boarding. So I find it’s best to board as early as I can and go right to any restaurant host desk to make my reservations for the cruise. Sometimes they have a restaurant reservation kiosk open on boarding day…but any host can make all the reservations for all the restaurants.

Then I can browse through the entertainment offerings for the cruise on the app and make those reservations. Keep in mind the shows can change times and dates week to week so you can’t rely on someone posting the entertainment schedule for the cruise prior to your’s. And headliners come and go so someone performing on one cruise may be replaced on another. I coordinate dining and entertainment reservations to make sure they don’t overlap.

Then…eMuster and check in at my muster station.

#5 Checking in or not makes no difference in canceling your cruise. You can always cancel…with significant loss of money! Read the cancel policy.

7 hours ago, ecgz88 said:

My ship open Dec 8th for online check in, so newbie question Any benefit for online checkin earlier when it's open?

1. I can book the entertainment seats earlier?

2. Since I already bought the dinning package, so I guess booking restaurant doesn't matter since it won't available to me.

3. Do I get a choice to select cabin when check in?, I'm under a guaranteed cabin.

4. Choose a ideal boarding time slot? Will boarding time slot really avoid long lineups?

5. If I did online checkin, in case anything happens I can't cancel the cruise?

Thanks!

Much of this, if not all, has been mentioned above...

(1) Some cruise ships are now allowing booking of main entertainment pre-cruise through the Cruise Planner (Broadway/major production shows, ice shows, Aquatheater shows, etc.). Much of fleet still requires booking of entertainment once your board. Also, most of the other activities/shows (zipline, flowrider, north star, headliner shows, escape rooms, etc.) will not be available to book until you board. Early bird gets the reservation!

(2) Arguably the biggest advantage of boarding the ship early. You can generally get your choice of dining times in the specialty restaurants (within 15-30 minutes worst case scenario). Generally, only people that book restaurants a la carte through the Cruise Planner can choose their date/time pre-cruise (I'm guessing Star Class can too!). So, the race to make those specialty dining reservations is on once everyone boards the ship if you purchased a dining package!

(3) Not familiar with guaranteed cabins, but I believe THEY generally select your cabin before you board and you will be notified.

(4) Earlier boarding times are nice because you start your vacation that much sooner! The ship is naturally empty in the late morning before lunch because you have to adhere to the boarding window and most people board early to mid afternoon. We like to explore, maybe have that first drink, etc.

(5) Online check-in has no impact on the cancellation policies, etc. It's just a required pre-cruise step in preparation of your sailing.

Have an amazing time!  🚢

Only Oasis and Quantum class will allow you to prebook entertainment, usually starting around the 30–45-day mark.

If you have a dining package it is important to get on as early as possible so you can book your dinner reservations. Also, if you are on a non-Oasis/Quantum class, any shows that require reservations will be available for you to book once you get on board and connect to the ships Wi-Fi.

GTY cabins are picked by the cruise line. You have no say. Also, it is possible your cabin won't be chosen for you until very late and close to sailing.

19 hours ago, ScottD said:

What ship are you on? The entertainment reservations may already be available if you're on certain ships (seems like mostly Oasis class ships). 

Thank you! You are right Oasis of the seas Jan 22nd entertainment reservations it's bookable now