RC Food Suck

Boba Milk Tea

6 hours ago, Last Lion said:

First off, I have never had a bad meal on Royal. A couple of times sent back steak for more (or less) time on the grill. That’s it.

I have a theory why my experience has been so enjoyable.

We always have traditional dining at the earliest possible time- 5-5:30.

Being first up to bat so to speak does this mean the food is fresher, less reheated, and cooked under less time constraints than the hurly-burly food delivery of later in the evening?

What do you think?

Oh, lol.....I've had a bad meal. I think it's not normal to like every dish, every time, on every menu. Never been anywhere where I didn't have a dud at some point. That's just the odds vs life. It happens. The beauty of a cruise is you can order more/something else. And then even hit the Windjammer for a top off. LOL.

I totally agree with the early dining theory. I do believe the food is fresher and hotter earlier in the evening. We had 5pm dining and needed late like 8pm one night. The difference in how long everything had been sitting around was so obvious. I would never not have early dining again. 

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Oh, lol.....I've had a bad meal. I think it's not normal to like every dish, every time, on every menu. Never been anywhere where I didn't have a dud at some point. That's just the odds vs life. It happens. The beauty of a cruise is you can order more/something else. And then even hit the Windjammer for a top off. LOL.

I totally agree with the early dining theory. I do believe the food is fresher and hotter earlier in the evening. We had 5pm dining and needed late like 8pm one night. The difference in how long everything had been sitting around was so obvious. I would never not have early dining again. 

Yikes…I really hope this is not the case!  I too have always done early dining but on my cruise coming up in 2 1/2 weeks we have late 7:30 time.  This cruise is a family cruise with several first timers (including my grandkids) And I would be very disappointed if meals end up not being up-to-par!  Fingers crossed the timing of dinner is NOT the reason!!!!

I will let you know!

28 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Yikes…I really hope this is not the case!  I too have always done early dining but on my cruise coming up in 2 1/2 weeks we have late 7:30 time.  This cruise is a family cruise with several first timers (including my grandkids) And I would be very disappointed if meals end up not being up-to-par!  Fingers crossed the timing of dinner is NOT the reason!!!!

I will let you know!

I do think earlier is fresher, but some dishes keep better than others. I'm sure you will find stuff you like.

One good plus about early is when done the Windjammer is still open to pick at. Later seating means your done closer to the time the Windjammer closes. No second chance at dinner. Lol.

One of the biggest problems I see with the food is lack of flavor. They make everything too bland to try and please as many as possible and end up pleasing fewer people.

Some dishes should have proper spice/flavor and some more generic cafeteria/hospital bland. They tend to lean way too much in the no seasoning hospital food level of doing things. And with that for each person who doesn't complain about spice etc, you still have another who feels the food was dull and bland. Some with more full on flavor and some without IMHO would have a better chance at pleasing more.

Again, bland isn't terrible or not edible. But most use the term "meh" when describing the meals. That's what happens when you try to please everyone with every dish. I did wish I had a micro spice rack in my bag. LOL. 

29 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I do think earlier is fresher, but some dishes keep better than others. I'm sure you will find stuff you like.

One good plus about early is when done the Windjammer is still open to pick at. Later seating means your done closer to the time the Windjammer closes. No second chance at dinner. Lol.

I agree and typically choose early.  However, this cruise includes my kids and their spouses (in their 40’s), grandkids, and a few extended family members totaling 17 people…many of them “sun worshippers.  They asked to eat late so as not to have to end their day at 3:30 in order to be showered and ready for 5pm dinner.

Fingers crossed!

35 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

We’ve used this logic. Even if we do like our MDR meal I still like to check out the WJ after. Never know what you might find & as someone who likes to eat, I’ve never exactly gotten stuffed from the MDR (yes I could order extra servings but we haven’t been fans of the MDR for a very long time & I like variety.)

On 7/8/2023 at 5:30 PM, BDog said:

I agree!  I just got back from a Caribbean cruise on the adventure of the seas. The food was absolutely disgusting. Everything was way over cooked and had no seasoning at all. Taste of Italy had leftover taco meat in its lasagna. I was extremely disappointed in the quality of the food. Noodles were soggy and pizza taste like cardboard. 

Was on the Adventure in the fall and definitely agree, the pizza was really bad. Found Cafe Promenade overall was disappointing whenever we went (after shows). 

I have not been on a cruise since last October or November.  

Is the food really that bad?

I was a chef for an upscale Vegas restaurant for 1/4 of my life.  I have had bad food, yes.  But even as discerning as my palate is, I don't think I have generalized a restaurant's food to the point I would call the entire restaurant bad.

For instance, I really hate Burger King.  I don't think the food is that bad.  Just don't think its good enough to go eat at.

On the other end of the spectrum, we ate at the French Laundry a few years ago.  I think with drinks it was $350 a person.  I did not like one of the dishes at all.  I can't even remember what it was, but I know I did not like it.  a couple of other dishes were okay.  the rest of the food was phenomenal.  To each his/her own.  I still would not generalize one way or another.  

On RCCL, there must hundreds upon hundreds of different dishes.  Many of the dishes may be reimagined dishes from the same or similar ingredients as another, but still lots of variety.  So is the food really bad enough to say "RC Food Suck"?

Worst part of RC food for me is lack of seasoning. They’re trying to appeal to everyone! Hands down the best food I have had are all Indian dishes because I have to assume they don’t hold off on the spices, while the only seasoning Royal uses in traditional dishes is salt. 👎 

That being said I have never had THAT bad of a meal on a Royal ship. Since its all included, having merely adequate fare is all I was promised and is part of the price I pay. If I want top notch food, I gotta pay more.

I have seen a LOT of Royal commercials and they never highlight dining; they showcase rock climbing, ice skating, flow riding etc. Meals that suffice are what I paid for!