No shorts in MDR again?

Just great! What am I supposed to do with the new tuxedo shorts I just bought for formal night? ;)

Considering they don't really enforce the rules, you can still wear it.

FWIW, the addition of shorts last week was only for casual night, so technically, you would not have been able to wear shorts for formal night ;)

FWIW, the addition of shorts last week was only for casual night, so technically, you would not have been able to wear shorts for formal night ;)

Oh well, on to plan b. Overalls! :lol:

So I'm a huge fan of dressing up...but we were considering letting my husband be more comfortable on formal night by dress, slack, dress shirt and jacket but NO tie. Can't remember last year, but do a lot of men who are dressed up, actually forgo the tie on formal night?

So I'm a huge fan of dressing up...but we were considering letting my husband be more comfortable on formal night by dress, slack, dress shirt and jacket but NO tie. Can't remember last year, but do a lot of men who are dressed up, actually forgo the tie on formal night?

From what I've read here it runs the gambit from Dockers and a polo, to tuxedos. Someone even mentioned awhile ago that there were going to bring their kilt!

It is not uncommon to see men dressed as you describe (no tie). As for myself, I forgo a suit and wear a sport coat and slax, dress shirt and tie (except for the cruise where I packed the ties and forgot the dress shirts :) Duh !!)

Can't remember last year, but do a lot of men who are dressed up, actually forgo the tie on formal night?

Personally, I usually wear a tie, but I also feel if I wore a dress shirt without a tie that would be perfectly acceptable too.  Basically, if I bring a suit, I'm wearing a tie.

Wife told me I didn't have to wear a tie after about our 3rd cruise ... haven't worn one since.

Slacks and a button down shirt is formal wear for me now.

I looked at our formal pictures and realized my husband looked so uncomfortable. Even though he wears ties from time to time, I thought it was ok to bring some balance into the comfort zone. Do you every feel out of place? I've looked at other pictures and the men with button down shirts,dress slacks and jackets look very nice and cruise appropriate to me.

Never really feel out of place ... our first couple of cruises it seemed like suits were the norm on formal night but i think the button down shirt and slacks is pretty much standard dress code for men now, sometimes the sport coat but even that seems to be rarer.

Actually talking with my wife this morning and mentioned we are looking forward to trying MSC next year and dressing it up a bit. Yes we always have the option to dress up when no one else is but it feels like with the drop in formality the service level and "attitude" have changed as well and it just wouldn't be the same. (Yes a little hypocrisy there as i am one of those who is not dressed up and is taking a casual relaxed attitude to it).

Somehow our first few cruises the MDR felt like an event now it's just where the food is.

Wore a nice suit and dress shirt with NO tie for formal last month on Brilliance. Perfectly acceptable as others were dressed in polo shirts and slacks and I told the wife I was glad I did not bring the Tuxedo as I would have stuck out as the only one in MDR.

I have to dress up for work so don't feel the need when I'm on vacation.

Wore a nice suit and dress shirt with NO tie for formal last month on Brilliance. Perfectly acceptable as others were dressed in polo shirts and slacks and I told the wife I was glad I did not bring the Tuxedo as I would have stuck out as the only one in MDR.

I have to dress up for work so don't feel the need when I'm on vacation.

As I wear button down shirts and Dockers for work, it will be like just another day at work. ONLY THE BEST DAY OF WORK EVER!

I just got off of the Indy and they were enforcing the dress code. Formal night, several passengers tried to get in with shorts on and were turned away at the door of the dining room. On casual night a young lady in a beach cover up tried to get in the dining room and they turned her away at the door.

Candie