solo seating in MDR

PRMLVM

7 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

If you are MTD you will be seated alone, unless you meet friends and join them for dinner. 

oh dear.  Luckily, he talks to people easily.  Here's hoping friendly invitations are extended to him (I think he worries about annoying people)!  Is there a way he should make it known to RC staff that he wouldn't mind group seating?

2 hours ago, PRMLVM said:

oh dear.  Luckily, he talks to people easily.  Here's hoping friendly invitations are extended to him (I think he worries about annoying people)!  Is there a way he should make it known to RC staff that he wouldn't mind group seating?

He can always tell the staff at the front of the MDR his preference, but with MTD the problem will be them trying to find a party to sit him with. Many people select MTD just so they don’t have to sit with strangers. I would highly suggest he choose a traditional dining option if this is a big deal for him. 

35 minutes ago, Adriana said:

S/he can be seated alone or with others. When I booked, they asked me my preference. At other times, when I arrived to the dining room (traditional and my time), they also have asked me my preference. S/he can let them know what they prefer, they are very accommodating. 

Not really with MTD. They won't force others to sit with people they don't know or make people wait in an effort to find someone for that person to sit with. Traditional dining is much easier and since MTD has been on a wait, it would be easier to switch to a set time.

3 hours ago, PRMLVM said:

His best bet is to meet someone earlier in the day and make dinner plans with them. I do that when I don't want to sit alone during specialty dining. In my case I have always had other single or couples during MTD chat with me while I am eating. The two-top tables are close, so he won't eat alone unless he wants to eat alone. Meaning he can either interject with other or others with interject with him.

My experience as a solo.

Pre cruise I’ve requested “shared” table and was given solo. Other times I was never asked, nor thought to ask and was given shared.  The best thing to do is go to the MDR upon boarding (yes, they are open for these things) and check on the seating assignment.  I was disappointed my last cruise when I was told I was solo at a table for 2.  Thankfully they were able to move me to a shared table.  That particular table was 2 couples and a party of 3 older single ladies traveling together.  I’ve yet to sit at a shared table where I have not liked the people, though one sailing there were a few couples who felt politics at dinner was ok, aside from that they seemed like nice people😂

On 10/25/2022 at 8:14 PM, Adriana said:

........ At other times, when I arrived to the dining room (traditional and my time), they also have asked me my preference....

The only time I have been asked if I wanted to share a table is at the MDR Breakfast and Sea Day Lunch seatings, has never happen at a My Time Dinner seating.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:05 AM, PRMLVM said:

Thank you everyone for the replies!  He called to change to the Traditional seating, and chatted with the RCI person.  He mentioned he was open to shared seating, and the RCI rep said he would make a note of it in the reservation.  Here's hoping that's a thing!

When I sailed solo in October I was seated alone butt surrounded by other two-top tables with couples. We got to know each other without the presume of having to wait for others to be seated before ordering. I was initially offered to sit with others but found this arrangement worked really well for me.

So he showed up, and RC never changed his dining preference!!  He got ping-ponged all over the dining room(s) to find the right person ("No, I can't help you; please go see XX" several times) and got it changed back to traditional.  The staff member told him, "At this time, we only have shared seating available" - !!  He just laughed and said "perfect".  His sea pass showed the original My Time selection, so they gave him a paper card to show the new/renewed seating change.  It's just frustrating that this is another example of calling in to them, being assured something has been done, and discovering the exact opposite when you show up!  Fortunately it seems to have worked out!

I always make sure to visit the host desk right after embarkation. I make my request for the entire cruise and have always been accommodated. I prefer MTD but like to eat early. Since MTD changed to 6:45 as the earliest time available (at least it was in the Oasis and the Anthem) I changed to the early seating at traditional dining. Then I go and ask for a solo table. 
@Bryan SI agree. Whenever I’m seated at a two top, it’s usually in a line of two tops. I can speak with other cruisers who are sitting next to me, or I can just read while I eat. I don’t have to wait for others and don’t have to worry about group dining etiquette. 
Also, there have been times where I was sitting alone and some very nice people would notice me and come and invite me to their table. That’s one of the best things I really like about cruising…I meet some really nice, authentic and happy people.🥰

Just got off Anthem.  I was solo, my friend also sailed  solo and our reservations were linked  we went to the MDR upon embarkation and we were seated in different dining rooms!  We were fortunate they were able to fix it.  we were at a shared table for 6, 2 other singles showed for just a few nights and the other 2 never showed.

there was a family behind us to get their reservations fixed. their linked reservations were not seated together either. 

On 11/17/2022 at 10:56 PM, Pattycruise said:

Just got off Anthem.  I was solo, my friend also sailed  solo and our reservations were linked  we went to the MDR upon embarkation and we were seated in different dining rooms!  We were fortunate they were able to fix it.  we were at a shared table for 6, 2 other singles showed for just a few nights and the other 2 never showed.

there was a family behind us to get their reservations fixed. their linked reservations were not seated together either. 

thanks for the warning.  we have linked reservations for a cruise in January; will definitely be one of the first things we will track down upon boarding now! ugh.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 11:30 AM, PRMLVM said:

thanks for the warning.  we have linked reservations for a cruise in January; will definitely be one of the first things we will track down upon boarding now! ugh.

Just happened again, my MIL and I sailing solo in our own cabins with linked reservations.  We were able to see in the app, once we had boarded, that we had different tables.  The MDR host was able to fix this prior to the dinner rush (we went around 11am to get it fixed)

On 11/17/2022 at 10:56 PM, Pattycruise said:

we were at a shared table for 6, 2 other singles showed for just a few nights and the other 2 never showed.

This is why I want to request just a 2-top for my husband and I. With specialty dining, it plays havoc with who is there.  My first cruise with my teens, it was sometimes 10 people, and sometimes only 3 at a huge 10 table.  It felt awkward when we were by ourselves, and I felt guilty when we weren't there.  This time we are planning only 3 nights at most in the mdr (nights 1, 4 and 6) and I think I'd rather do by ourselves.  That way we don't mess with the feel of the table and I won't feel guilty if we don't show up another night or two.  Jane

@mom2mybugsI asked the MDR host right after embarkation on the Anthem if I could be seated solo at a two top for the days that I was not eating in a specialty restaurant. He saw on his computer that I had already made reservations for three days in Jaime’s and Chops and told me my solo table would be available for me on the other days. All of the restaurant host computers are linked so they know you are not going to show in the MDR if you have specialty reservations…or check in at one the other restaurants. So your regular MDR table is available for someone else.