Private islands

JEH106

There is no destination in the world that is universally loved by everyone on the planet.  CocoCay and Labadee are loved by most guests.  That's okay, there is nothing wrong with not being beach people. 

If you fall into that category there is little point trying to explain why other people love a private beach destination.  To each their own.  Pick itineraries that don't go there. 

Just be aware that since Royal receives massive positive feedback from their private beach destinations they tend to listen to their guests and try to include a stop where most of their clients love to go for their Bahamas and Caribbean cruise itineraries.  Caribbean is literally Royal's middle name.  Naturally their Caribbean cruises will include beach days.

Just about all cruise lines that operate from the cruise capital of the world (Florida) have private beach destinations.  Carnival brands, Disney Cruise Lines, NCL and MSC all have beach private destinations in the Bahamas.  Even Virgin Voyages with their one ship in Florida has their Bimini Beach Club Resort.  It seems most cruise guests love a beach.

There is nothing wrong with being part of the crowd that does not like a day at the beach.  There are many other cruise regions around the world that are not beach centric.  It seems you would be better to focus on those other cruise regions compared to the Bahamas and the Caribbean as cruise destinations.   Alaska, Asia, Australia, Canada/New England, Europe, New Zealand, South America and so on are all popular cruise destinations that are not beach centric.  

11 hours ago, JEH106 said:

My wife and I are NOT beach people. We prefer to visit and/or see sites and sights that are either historic and/or cultural. Can somebody explain to me why the excitement over Coco Cay and Labadee?

When I discovered snorkeling in my 50s, beaches and boats became more appealing. For history, I visit Europe.

Because, for some people, we need our brains to shut off and just relax -  these islands are perfect for that. There's a time for history/enrichment tours and a time for beach relaxation. I don't take Caribbean cruises for enrichment, I take for relaxation. I don't go to another continent for relaxation, I go for cultural and/or historic enrichment.

Whatever works for you is what's best for you. 

The private islands offer a cost-free, limited crowds beach day with food. while, yes, you can spend money on both it's not necessary to enjoy them and it's great for cruising on a budget to know there's at least 1 stop where you don't have to pay for even a taxi.

Also, as someone in a major city with dwindling beaches and time, a day to enjoy warm sand, cool water and hot sun with 0 rush or worries is 100% the best.

I'm not a beach/pool person either.  But some folks in my party are.  That said, I am very willing to share interests with those that travel with me.  I am very comfortable watching our personal items while the rest of my group is floating around Labadee.  I also am very content at Coco Cay watching others enjoy themselves.  Sitting in the shade, sipping a frooty drink and watching the local entertainment is pretty wonderful to me. 

Not every destination or every activity always completely pleases or interests everybody.  But it's not always about me.

I am around folks that are critical of my love of cruising.  They don't get it, and my reply is don't go.

Same with certain cruise destinations that may not interest some folks.  Then don't go.😎

Thank you all for your responses. I have found that the Caribbean Islands are RICH in history, especially if you like to read 18th-19th century naval fiction. I do. Or if you are interested in religious history. I am Jewish and found the Caribbean to be loaded with Jewish history. Or history plain and simple. Did you know that Alexander Hamilton was born on Nevis? Or that George Washington also spent time in the Caribbean?

I have snorkeled in the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Hawaii for years when I was younger (now 80+). Now I want to learn history and culture. I try to book cruises that do not include private ports. To me, they are sea days, meant to explore the ship.

Jim 

17 hours ago, JEH106 said:

Thank you all for your responses. I have found that the Caribbean Islands are RICH in history, especially if you like to read 18th-19th century naval fiction. I do. Or if you are interested in religious history. I am Jewish and found the Caribbean to be loaded with Jewish history. Or history plain and simple. Did you know that Alexander Hamilton was born on Nevis? Or that George Washington also spent time in the Caribbean?

I have snorkeled in the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Hawaii for years when I was younger (now 80+). Now I want to learn history and culture. I try to book cruises that do not include private ports. To me, they are sea days, meant to explore the ship.

Jim 

The things I know about Alexander and Washington...are from the musical 😅 but yes! thanks to that I did learn that Hamilton is technically an islander!