Jump to content

Checking in and international tipping


Recommended Posts

Going on WOS from Barcelona in July. 2 questions. When check in becomes available how soon do we need to check in to get an early boarding slot (like for noon)?  Are US $$$ acceptable for tipping both on ship and shore excursions OR do we need euros? Thx in advance for any help with these questions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On board staff will happily take US Dollars in tips.  I don't know that  you need tipping money for excursions in Europe since it's not really a tipping society, but if you choose to do so I'd imagine they'd prefer Euros since they will be local companies (others will probably chime in with more experience).

Check in should open up at midnight in the time zone in which your cruise embarks, so if you are in the US it'll happen early evening.  I try to jump on it right away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

US dollars are used onboard, even though you are sailing in Europe. 

I would recommend having some Euros available for going ashore. My research shows that although credit cards are widely used throughout the EU, there may be situations where it helps to have cash.

I was able to order Euros from my bank for pickup. You can also use your ATM card in Europe to withdraw Euros. Money changers at airports and tourist areas will often offer very poor conversion rates, as do businesses that accept dollars.

Europeans typically tip by rounding up to the nearest number, and maybe add a few Euros to a dinner bill. American style tipping is not normal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You cannot use US dollars in Europe. Most places you can pay with a card, but some cash is always a good idea. Especially in small local markets or food stands you still pay with cash mostly in Southern Europe. Mastercard is widely accepted. Visa also, American Express almost nowhere. 

Tipping is not custom here. We only tip when service is exceptional. And as said before rounding up the bill. I am sure that tipping is appreciated but it is absolutely not necessary and not customary. Staff are paid a lot more here than in the US and do not rely on tipping for their income. 

 

I checked in about 2 hours after check-in opened and earliest I could pick was 12 - 12.30pm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

 My research shows that although credit cards are widely used throughout the EU, there may be situations where it helps to have cash.

 

100 % correct...I honestly cannot remember the last time i purchased anything with cash! Its always debit card as its so much easier. Problem with using cards abroad though is if you get hit with international transaction fees. 

 

42 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

 

Europeans typically tip by rounding up to the nearest number

If something like coffee in a cafe is €8.20 you would probably leave the shrapnel..in other words the coins you get in your change. If out for a meal ( not a fast food joint) you leave what you want, you wont get chased down the street by an upset waitress if you dont leave a tip lol however even just leaving the shrapnel is appreciated, tip jars on counter beside till are a common sight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about tipping on tours in Europe? Is it common, and if so, what amounts are typical? 

We have sailed on mainly Caribbean itineraries and tips are requested by tour staff and I make sure to bring cash for them. We usually tip in the range of $20-50.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

On board staff will happily take US Dollars in tips.  I don't know that  you need tipping money for excursions in Europe since it's not really a tipping society, but if you choose to do so I'd imagine they'd prefer Euros since they will be local companies (others will probably chime in with more experience).

Check in should open up at midnight in the time zone in which your cruise embarks, so if you are in the US it'll happen early evening.  I try to jump on it right away.

Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, texascruiser said:

What about tipping on tours in Europe? Is it common, and if so, what amounts are typical? 

We have sailed on mainly Caribbean itineraries and tips are requested by tour staff and I make sure to bring cash for them. We usually tip in the range of $20-50.

Europen tipping culture is right across the board, doesnt matter what service it is. Restaurants, taxis, hotels etc etc etc same rule of thumb applies...if you are happy with what you receive then you can leave a tip if you wish and how much you leave is your choice. Theres no pressure to leave a tip you do it only if you want 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DonnaRMC said:

We're going on Odyssey and will travel from the UK. Do we tip in Euro or Dollar at the terminal (Rome)? Trying to work out what currency we'll need, and roughly how much of each!

At the terminal I'd use Euros, as others have said tipping in Europe appreciated but not always expected. Personally I'd tip a couple of Euros, but I'm from the UK and we don't have the same tipping culture as they have in the US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Mike.s said:

At the terminal I'd use Euros, as others have said tipping in Europe appreciated but not always expected. Personally I'd tip a couple of Euros, but I'm from the UK and we don't have the same tipping culture as they have in the US.

Thank you. We have never cruised before, and don't want to offend or tip in the wrong currency. We have a Revolut card, purely for this holiday for spends as can have $ and €, but tips are throwing me. I'll pick up some Euros for the port.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DonnaRMC said:

Thank you. We have never cruised before, and don't want to offend or tip in the wrong currency. We have a Revolut card, purely for this holiday for spends as can have $ and €, but tips are throwing me. I'll pick up some Euros for the port.

Revolut is great for going on hols just remember to switch online transactions off and swipe on as you may need to swipe in some places and would need to get wifi to enable you to do it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...