Alaska Cruise

I’ve been on several Caribbean cruises and am sailing to Alaska for the first time. What’s the vibe on a Alaska cruise compared to the Caribbean? It’s seems the Caribbean is one non-stop party. Not sure what to expect in Alaska in June. Can someone please share their opinions/observations?

I've never felt like a Caribbean cruise is a non stop party, at least not on Royal Caribbean but Carnival maybe.

On an Alaskan cruise there will be folks who spend all their time in the bars.  These are often the ones that report never seeing any wildlife in Alaska.  For me in Alaska I skip most of the shows and spend a lot of time outdoors.  Definitely not a partier in Alaska.

The vibe will be what you make it.  They limit the music outdoors as a requirement imposed by Alaska.  No ship horns used either.  So you won't have the sail away parties on the pool deck in Alaska.    

9 hours ago, Floating Fun said:

Thanks for the info. I’m Looking forward to a relaxing time enjoying the scenery. Is the attire more casual? Do people bring evening gowns of will nice dress slacks work for formal nights. After hiking all day, I may not be up for that much formal at night!

There is no such thing as "Formal Night" on Royal cruises any more. I believe all the ships have converted the terminology to "Suggested attire: Dress Your Best" at this point.

You'll see people dressed to the nines and others in jeans and a tee-shirt. 

9 hours ago, Floating Fun said:

Thanks for the info. I’m Looking forward to a relaxing time enjoying the scenery. Is the attire more casual? Do people bring evening gowns of will nice dress slacks work for formal nights. After hiking all day, I may not be up for that much formal at night!

I'm not bringing evening gowns - too heavy and big for the flight. I'm bringing a black knee length dress that I'll throw a sweater overs for both formal nights. It rolls up small and doesn't wrinkle. DH is bringing docker type pants and a long sleeve shirt and tie. I don't think he's planning on bringing a jacket.

73267466.jpeg

• 1 month later...

The wife and I will be sailing to Alaska September of next year. This will both be our first trip to Alaska and our first cruise, so we're pretty excited 😊. It will be an experience, no matter what the vibe is.

We're looking forward to seeing the nature and wildlife aspect of the trip. Neither of us have ever been big drinkers, so I doubt we'll be hanging out at the bars much, although I told her I do plan on getting a little buzz probably one or two nights while we're there haha 😄.

I'm bringing a 3-piece suit and she's bringing an evening gown, as we do enjoy getting dressed up on occasion.