Drink Price Increase

bsbrady

I'm starting to think that Royal is wondering down that path to meet up with her sister Celebrity with three packages that cover alcohol.

Actually, Royal Caribbean just went in the opposite direction. It had 3 unlimited alcohol packages up until September 2016, and then consolidated down to one. http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/09/06/royal-caribbean-revamps-its-unlimited-drink-package-offerings

Here is a copy of the pub menu on Allure that Kris sent me

attachicon.gif15909424_10154019113016227_917673900_o.jpg

Looking at the new menu, things that have changed since the May 2016 version on Allure.

$2 across the board price change.

Cherry Orchard: Gone

Spiced Apple Pie: Gone

Beer's Knees: Botanist gin vs Tanqueray No. Ten gin

"Brand name" Manhattan: Buffalo Trace Bourbon vs Woodford Reserve

James Bond Martini: Belvedere vs Ketel One

Gin Fizz: Aviation gin vs Tanqueray No. Ten gin

I'm starting to think that Royal is wondering down that path to meet up with her sister Celebrity with three packages that cover alcohol.

From reading the Standard package covers drinks to $6, Classic package covers drinks to $9, while the Premium is $13 (plus the sheet lists a slew of brand differences, Standard just says select and doesn't list anything). Per day cost difference is starting at $10 between each level.

Good grief that sounds complicated.

Actually, Royal Caribbean just went in the opposite direction. It had 3 unlimited alcohol packages up until September 2016, and then consolidated down to one. http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/09/06/royal-caribbean-revamps-its-unlimited-drink-package-offeringsTrue,

True...

Still thinking they merged as a first step and will split again to cover based on brands.

If this is true, then it's unconscionable as people are already paying a premium for a holiday sailing.

I'm all about Royal making money; after all, they are a business. But as I write this, I just realized that Disney does the same thing. They charge more for rooms during the holidays and increase the prices of the buffets, so I either can't be critical or need to hold Disney accountable, too.

Regarding the $12-$13 drink price limit, I suspect nobody is being asked to pay more. If they were, we'd be hearing about outcry from those onboard. This likely only affects those not on any sort of package.

We just returned from the 12/26/16 sailing of Liberty of the Seas, and this was not evident. We could buy an $8 glass of champagne, no problem. I think a whiskey was about $7. Now, there is an 18% gratuity added.....

But then I'd have to sit through an art auction.  And I might come home with an overpriced poster...er, "print". :)

30 cruises over all, don't think I have ever been once to an art auction.

Then again, not much of a "grape juice" drinker... Unless it was bubbly... With gin and lemon juice added.

Boy do I miss the French 75 from Oasis. Just have to wait until Sunday!

Regarding the point in that article about bringing your own bottles of wine, I read somewhere (maybe here) that you also need to remember to bring your own corkscrew and uncork the wine yourself before bringing it anywhere, or even drinking it in your room, or else you'll be charged a "corking fee" to have someone do you the favor. Is that still the case?

Also, when you say that they can store any unfinished bottle for you and bring it to another restaurant, how does that work? Do you need to know where you'll be dining the next night and tell them when they take the bottle from you? Can you go to whichever place you're having dinner and tell them when you sit down that you have a bottle in storage?

I typically drink 2 5-oz glasses of wine with dinner, and a 750ml wine bottle works out to about 4 glasses. Since I booked two rooms and can bring 4 bottles, that would get me through dinner for my entire 8-night cruise! Then I'd just have to figure out how much I expect to be drinking around the rest of the cruise as far as Labadoozies, trying out other wines at Vintages on a couple of nights, the odd beer at the pool or with lunch, or while listening to music at the pub, etc. Was pretty sure I'd be doing the drink package, but maybe I can keep that out of the picture. Would be nice to save $440 (with some of that savings going back into whatever drinks I still end up buying).

On the other hand, if I already know I'm going to have those two glasses of wine with dinner every night, and at least one specialty coffee each morning, that means I only need to buy three more drinks in the day to break even. I'm pretty sure I could do that without any difficulty, so maybe the package isn't such a bad idea. Decisions, decisions!!

Oh, I'm assuming that if you bring your own bottles, it would be better to buy them after flying into wherever you're departure port city is, to avoid any possible problems with your airline (or accidental breakage from being jammed into the overhead bins with all the other carry-on bags). Can anyone confirm that? I have no idea what hotel I'm staying at yet or if there will be a wine store close enough to let me do that, or if they'll even have the wines I typically like, but whatever I can plan for...

Hi Joe,

Regarding the point in that article about bringing your own bottles of wine, I read somewhere (maybe here) that you also need to remember to bring your own corkscrew and uncork the wine yourself before bringing it anywhere, or even drinking it in your room, or else you'll be charged a "corking fee" to have someone do you the favor. Is that still the case?

I've not sailed on RCI so I may be off on some of this, but on another RCI board someone had mentioned that they've done away with the corkage fee.  This would mean, though, that you had to drink it in the MDR, if I'm not mistaken.  I don't believe you'd be allowed to take the bottle back to your room (at least you couldn't on the CCL cruise, but then they also had a corkage fee).  I'm not sure about drinking the wine in another venue though... sounds reasonable.

Oh, I'm assuming that if you bring your own bottles, it would be better to buy them after flying into wherever you're departure port city is, to avoid any possible problems with your airline (or accidental breakage from being jammed into the overhead bins with all the other carry-on bags). Can anyone confirm that? I have no idea what hotel I'm staying at yet or if there will be a wine store close enough to let me do that, or if they'll even have the wines I typically like, but whatever I can plan for...

If you are in the US (or connecting into a US city from another country and then taking a US flight to the port city), you will not be able to take wine through TSA security checkpoints.  You would need to put the wine in a checked bag.  They do make wine bags that not only protect the bottle but will also contain the spill if it should actually break  (something like these on Amazon).  I've not used these personally, so I can't vouch for them.

Another option would be to ship your bottles directly to your hotel.  I think you'd have to use UPS ground and you'd want to time it carefully, but I suppose it could work.  Again, I've not done this with wine, but I have done this for work related packages (alas, drinking wine is not currently work related, but maybe in the future?).  The extra costs may not make it worthwhile.  You would get the exact wine you wanted, though.

Happy Sailing,

Gary

Absolutely not. RC will be happy to open the wine for you and there is no corkage fee.

Also, when you say that they can store any unfinished bottle for you and bring it to another restaurant, how does that work? Do you need to know where you'll be dining the next night and tell them when they take the bottle from you? Can you go to whichever place you're having dinner and tell them when you sit down that you have a bottle in storage?

Yes, they can store it for you. They just ask for your name and stateroom number and will store it where any waiter can get it.

I think you would find this article extremely helpful: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/02/04/bringing-wine-your-royal-caribbean-cruise

Yes, that was very helpful! Also helped reading the comments as it confirmed that even though the kids have their own stateroom with no adult in there (connecting rooms), I can still take advantage of that to bring four bottles and not just two.