Voom

JeffH

Does anyone know if Voom allows you to use What’sApp video chat without incurring charges? I’m thinking no data charges, since I’m using ship’s internet and my iPhone is on airplane mode with cellular and roaming turned off. Just want to make sure of no unpleasant billing surprises from T-Mobile when I get home. 

3 hours ago, JeffH said:

Does anyone know if Voom allows you to use What’sApp video chat without incurring charges? I’m thinking no data charges, since I’m using ship’s internet and my iPhone is on airplane mode with cellular and roaming turned off. Just want to make sure of no unpleasant billing surprises from T-Mobile when I get home. 

Make sure you have What's App downloaded, and whoever you are calling also has it on their phone.  Yes, you can use What's app on the Voom-you will not incur additional charges.  You can also use Facetime.  I will say that I have been on a number of cruises with only the Voom package and while you can use What's app and Facetime there can be lagging, especially when the call first connects...warn whoever you are calling that it should for the most part clear up after a minute and to not hang up or you will have to start again.  However, with that said, at some times the Voom is just plain old spotty and it will not clear up.....If that is the case feel free to go to the Wifi Surt and Stream desk and complain and they may give you a free upgrade to Surf and Stream.

Voom is just Royal Caribbean’s fancy name for WiFi.  Once you pay for it, you will have internet access, and can do anything you normally do on WiFi. 

Turn cellular service off using Airplane Mode and you won’t incur any cellular charges.  

14 hours ago, teddy said:

can do anything you normally do on WiFi.

almost, some websites are actually blocked (think how communist countries control your access - same principle - just not sure what all sites are blocked)

Also they seem to be able to detect VPN use and block that also, or at least that's my experience.

But as stated you should be able to connect with What's app and Facetime (we facetime grand kids a lot - trick is to find a area on-board with great connectivity)

We have VPN on our iPhones and it kept getting blocked.  We finally had to delete it (we tried just turning off the VPN but it kept turning itself back one) while on the cruise then installed it back when cruise was over.  It was very frustrating for Hubby who had to check on his employees.

On 3/14/2022 at 7:52 AM, whitsmom said:

We have VPN on our iPhones and it kept getting blocked.  We finally had to delete it (we tried just turning off the VPN but it kept turning itself back one) while on the cruise then installed it back when cruise was over.  It was very frustrating for Hubby who had to check on his employees.

yes i had to delete mine also.

Even reading other responses mine is even IPsec rather than SSL.  kinda stinks because this is one place I really want that extra protection for my communication.

I will experiment a little more in less than 2 weeks on my next sailing.

Has anyone else noticed the dramatic increase in price, pre-cruise price is almost the same as the on-board prices reflected in recent Cruise Compass's

26 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

Has anyone else noticed the dramatic increase in price, pre-cruise price is almost the same as the on-board prices reflected in recent Cruise Compass's

Yes.  Just the like DX prices that seem high.  

Granted satellite internet isn't cheap but it makes me wonder if their vendor jacked up the rate if so allowed in the contract.  Sign of the times... everything costs more.