Pre booking excursions and internet

So, I didn't realize that the cruise planner prices change! I just assumed those were the pre-booking prices,  and now the internet package and excursion I was interested in has gone up 30%!

Any way they will come back down again or should I go ahead and book it now before it gets even more expensive? Cruise is 50 days away. 

So bummed 😭

There are "sales" every couple of weeks, so there should be several more before you sail. As to the price of the excursion possibly going up again, the answer, like everything Royal-related, is "it depends". If it's a more popular one, then conceivably it could indeed go up. I have watched an excursion on my cruise, that I know to be very popular, gradually go up over the past few months from +/- $100 to today's whopping price of $211.99!

If the one you're looking at is something you really want to do then, yes, book it now to lock in your places and then keep checking. If you can live without it and don't mind running the risk of it selling out (the more popular ones do sell out) then hang on for the next sale, which will likely happen within a couple of weeks and look at it again then.

7 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

There are "sales" every couple of weeks, so there should be several more before you sail. As to the price of the excursion possibly going up again, the answer, like everything Royal-related, is "it depends". If it's a more popular one, then conceivably it could indeed go up. I have watched an excursion on my cruise, that I know to be very popular, gradually go up over the past few months from +/- $100 to today's whopping price of $211.99!

If the one you're looking at is something you really want to do then, yes, book it now to lock in your places and then keep checking. If you can live without it and don't mind running the risk of it selling out (the more popular ones do sell out) then hang on for the next sale, which will likely happen within a couple of weeks and look at it again then.

Thank you. If it goes down, do I have to then call to see about getting a credit? 

1 hour ago, Wanderlust876 said:

Thank you. If it goes down, do I have to then call to see about getting a credit? 

You can just go back into the Cruise Planner, go to "Order History", cancel the purchase, and repurchase.  The money will return to your original form of payment, typically within 10 business days (although I find it to be much quicker).  If you used onboard credit, that is recredited and available immediately.

1 hour ago, Wanderlust876 said:

15 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

You can just go back into the Cruise Planner, go to "Order History", cancel the purchase, and repurchase.  The money will return to your original form of payment, typically within 10 business days (although I find it to be much quicker).  If you used onboard credit, that is recredited and available immediately.

Exactly what @SpeedNoodles said. 

I had in my cart an internet package for a little more of $240 if I remember well for VOOM SURF + STREAM Internet Package - 4 Devices, and now there is a message of Price Updated and it is $492 !!!! I remember in 2020, for the same package I paid $167 !!!  This is outrageous!  My sailing is in April 7 nights.

10 minutes ago, Petsin said:

I had in my cart an internet package for a little more of $240 if I remember well for VOOM SURF + STREAM Internet Package - 4 Devices, and now there is a message of Price Updated and it is $492 !!!! I remember in 2020, for the same package I paid $167 !!!  This is outrageous!  My sailing is in April 7 nights.

If you want a particular price, it must be purchased at that price, not just put in the cart.  Take it out of your cart and just keep an eye on prices.  When it comes down to where you are comfortable, purchase it that day.

Is there usually a Presidents Day sale? I’m in the same position, first time cruiser and was only looking at the email where it said 30% off. I was wondering why the RC rep said cheapest price was Black Friday! I looked and seen 30% and was like nah, that’s the same sale they keep sending me! Now it’s sooo expensive, and I see they make up their own pricing daily. I wish I found this message board sooner. 

2 hours ago, Jen W said:

Is there usually a Presidents Day sale? I’m in the same position, first time cruiser and was only looking at the email where it said 30% off. I was wondering why the RC rep said cheapest price was Black Friday! I looked and seen 30% and was like nah, that’s the same sale they keep sending me! Now it’s sooo expensive, and I see they make up their own pricing daily. I wish I found this message board sooner. 

Yes, there usually is. And around pretty much every other US holiday too.

The critical rule to remember with Royal's "sales" is to completely ignore the percentage off amount and look only at the bottom line. 

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

If you want a particular price, it must be purchased at that price, not just put in the cart.  Take it out of your cart and just keep an eye on prices.  When it comes down to where you are comfortable, purchase it that day.

I sail in late May and will need 3 separate VOOM Surf and Streams. I was watching the price for weeks at 15.99/device and was expecting to see a sale. Instead, it is now up to $19.99/device! Uuggh. For those who sail often (only my 2nd), what are the chances the price will come down before late May?

9 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Yes, there usually is. And around pretty much every other US holiday too.

The critical rule to remember with Royal's "sales" is to completely ignore the percentage off amount and look only at the bottom line. 

Thanks! Yes, I’ve definitely learned my lesson, and hope to still catch a decent price before we leave

2 hours ago, DDD said:

I sail in late May and will need 3 separate VOOM Surf and Streams. I was watching the price for weeks at 15.99/device and was expecting to see a sale. Instead, it is now up to $19.99/device! Uuggh. For those who sail often (only my 2nd), what are the chances the price will come down before late May?

In case you weren't aware, you can split a 3 device package between 3 people (each using only 1 device at a time) - price is usually lower than 3 individual packages.  Only works if you are ok sharing the same user name/password.

Keep checking back on prices - they change at various times.

7 hours ago, Petsin said:

The price isn't locked in simply because the item is in your cart. If you see a price you believe to be a deal purchase it and if the price goes lower you can cancel the purchase and re-purchase it at the lower rate. But putting an item in your cart and leaving it there does nothing because the system will automatically reprice all un-purchased items in your cart once a particular sale ends. 

I've learned that lesson the hard way as well but in most cases I've gotten lucky and was able to catch another sale. Now days when I see something in the cruise planner that I know I'm going to buy once a see I price I like I buy it and then I will continue to reprice it later as the cruise get closer. I no longer put things in my cart and leave them because that does not lock in the price at all.

Thank you for the hints. Actually I have done many times what you suggest, to cancel and rebuy, but I was expecting a sale soon so I was waiting for it. I put things in the cart to watch the price variations to avoid having to search each time for the activity... of course I know the price is not locked until purchased. I was just commenting how expensive it has gone compared to the price two years ago... I am not purchasing the Internet package at that price.