How many "Formal Nights" should we pack for on an 8 nighter? Does the ship have certain nights for formal night or is it by choice? (Allure of the Seas sailing Jan 8)

nm3199

I've been on 2 cruises in the past, both Royal. However I was with my family and was 16 and 17 at the time, so I didn't pay much attention to what was going on and when my parents told us to dress up, we did. This cruise, however, it's just my girlfriend and I celebrating our 5 year anniversary (7 now, but we originally booked to go at the 5 year mark, but then COVID happened). She's never been on a cruise before so she honestly has no idea what to expect. Anyway, how many nights should we do a formal night, and is it something the cruise has scheduled or do we just pick when we want to on our own? We do plan on just eating in via room service a few nights as well, so I want to work around doing that when there are formal nights if the cruise does schedule it for everyone on the ship to do it all on one night. Thanks in advance!

Royal Caribbean Blog has a lot of Cruise Compasses (daily itinerary) for past cruises.  You will get these everyday of your cruise and people send them into this site.  Here is the latest one for your cruise.  It is only a 7 day cruise and your is a 8 day cruise but it will give you an idea of what to expect.  https://issuu.com/hochmania/docs/allure_of_the_seas_nov_14_2021_-_7_night_eastern

If you look on the Daily Snapshot it will tell you the Dress Code for the day.  On the 7 day cruise they are showing 1 Formal Night and 1 Dress Your Best Night.  One note on Room Service:  Most of the food is free but they charge you a flat fee or using room service.

image.png.483b0329507b13d468fe1ddc2a46146b.png

7 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Odd. I am on the same ship, Oasis, Jan 30, and none of my cruise documents list the formal nights. I checked other cruises I have been on and it is not on those documents either.

I think it must be his travel agent adds that on.  I checked all of mine and they do not show the formal information.

1 hour ago, Traveling Mike said:

I think it must be his travel agent adds that on.  I checked all of mine and they do not show the formal information.

Interesting. Mine don't show them either and I booked myself. Do you know when or where we would receive the daily itineraries that you posted for our specific sailing?

Hello! I am also sailing on Allure’s Jan 8 itinerary. There is one formal night, one “dress your best” night, one “Colorful 70’s” night, and one “Caribbean Glam” night on this sailing. Other nights resort casual would be appropriate. The information, menus, and activities are all loaded into the app. 

how many nights should we do a formal night, and is it something the cruise has scheduled or do we just pick when we want to on our own?

8 night sailings have 2 formal nights though I think Royal is getting creative with the names.

The first will be around night 2 or 3 and the second will be around night 6 or 7. You are never forced to participate as the dress code really only applies to the main dining room. On formal nights there will be more photographers out than normal at all the pretty locations as well as more roaming the dining room. Every other night, the MDR is usually smart casual.

And a tip for her on what to wear formal night anything from cocktail dress/ jumpsuit to that bridesmaid one taking up space in the back of her closet (legit what I do - where else am I supposed to wear a floor length gown?!).

On 1/4/2022 at 12:21 PM, nm3199 said:

We do plan on just eating in via room service a few nights as well, so I want to work around doing that when there are formal nights if the cruise does schedule it for everyone on the ship to do it all on one night. Thanks in advance!

Just giving friendly unsolicited advice.... 🙂

Please don't overthink the dress code on any Royal ship....even on a "formal" night.  As a previous poster said you do not have to participate in the theme of the night.

Wear some decent clothes and go enjoy dinner in the dining room every night!  Order 2 appetizers or 2 desserts or both.  "Formal" nights can have some amazing dishes to try.

If a fellow passenger cares what the people at the next table are wearing they have a problem, you don't.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your cruise because it is YOUR cruise!

Don't worry - be happy! 😉