Royal App... ???

deep1

Ok we for the most part are educated about the Royal App. I had to nudge my Fiance' to put it on her phone and her daughter's... It took a little explaining that they "HAD" to do it...She then asked a question I didn't have an answer to. Maybe you have that answer?  "What about people like her or my Mom"? They are getting up there in years. Neither her mom nor mine have a "smart phone" . Inn fact my mom only got her first cell phone (not smart) about a year ago. No texting. Just a phone for emergencies if she fell or had car issues. What do they do? They are both late 80's and teaching them new tricks really doesn't work. Gets me wondering about families who are a touch tight with their kids and they too do' "all" have smart phones. I was a late bloomer myself. Had cell for a long time. Only added text about 10 years ago and "first smart Iphone" about 4 years ago.

They can use the TV in the room for a lot of things that are on the app. Including the safety drill and reservations. But, then again, they may have issues figuring out the TV menu. They can go to their muster station and the crew member will help them with the drill. I hope they’re able to figure out where their station is…or that’s another problem. They can call guest services or the box office for reservations for shows. Or call the restaurants for reservations. If really necessary, their room attendant can help. I’m sure there have been lots of times when passengers don’t understand the app (or the language) and need some help. Someone will assist them.

You can still show up at the pier like you could 5 or 10 years ago and you will still get on board without the app.

It might take 30 minutes versus 2 minutes using the app, but that's a choice.  

On board to make reservations for shows you don't need the app.  You can call the box office team during their open hours to book a show.  If they aren't open you have to wait until the next day when they are open.  By that time there may not be any reservations left but that's the way it is.  The box office does not work 24 x 7 to answer the phone to make reservations.  Using the app it takes less than a minute to book a show or activity. 

Not using the app is a choice but it puts you at a disadvantage.  However as long as your expectations are set back 5 or 10 years, they will be met.  

7 hours ago, deep1 said:

Was looking on line tonight and it said "required to down load the app prior to sailing". That kinda says its not an "option"

I think that's just scare tactics. I have it on my phone and put it on SIL's prior to our sailing since she is "reasonably" able to cope with technology. I put it on DH's too but between then and boarding he somehow managed to uninstall it and I couldn't be bothered to re-install it on board partly since we didn't have an internet package but mainly because he's useless with technology. I didn't even bother putting it on BIL's phone because he's even worse than DH.

If you link your bookings you can do everything that's needed in the app for the other people you're travelling with. I did all the check-ins, all the health questionnaires, all dining bookings for all four of us. And we never had any problems with getting paper menus in the dining room. So as long as one person is comfortable with technology it's pretty much unnecessary for the other people in your party.

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

...If you link your bookings you can do everything that's needed in the app for the other people you're travelling with. I did all the check-ins, all the health questionnaires, all dining bookings for all four of us. And we never had any problems with getting paper menus in the dining room. So as long as one person is comfortable with technology it's pretty much unnecessary for the other people in your party.

Not OP, but wondering about the above statement.  Can you also book shows and activities in the app for others if you are in more than one room?  

i.e. Our kids are in a connecting room and wondering if they would need to download the app to book shows, etc.  If so, hope it's not an issue coordinating times

16 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Not OP, but wondering about the above statement.  Can you also book shows and activities in the app for others?  What if you have connecting rooms?  

i.e. Our kids are in a connecting room and wondering if they would need to download the app to book shows, etc.  If so, hope it's not an issue coordinating times

Yes, you can. I did that too for all 4 people in our party. We were two couples in two separate rooms and with separate but linked bookings. As soon as you link the bookings you will be able to see all the people in the linked bookings in your app (and they will be able to see you too). Then you just click on each person to add them to whatever show or activity you want to book. I found it to be really easy.