VOOM Surf vs VOOM Streaming

My experience of Voom (on European sailings) is that Voom surf is barely sufficient for surfing (unless you are *really* patient) and Voom Stream is totally inadequate for streaming. When I complained that one wasn't getting what you had paid for, the Voom rep on board just blamed too many users and refused to issue a refund. Now I just buy the cheapest and expect only basic app functionality (email, twitter etc). YMMV of course.

There are a huge number of variables that affect the quality of your onboard internet connection and its speed. In my experience if the IT staff aboard has control over a variable it gets fixed. If not, we'll, .....I've never bought stream. There are too many chances for it to disappoint. I'd say aboard the recent ships I've sailed on, I'm about 80% satisfied with internet. Yes, sometimes it's slow. There are ways to optimize your experience. Worth some web research to understand advantages and limitations of Satellite internet. Realistic expectations help. 

15 hours ago, TB2021 said:

I’m completely new to the community but ❤️ how invested everyone appears to be. Such a well of knowledge here and appreciation for the SME’s who I see scattered through each topic. I’ve learned so much (lol)

Welcome to the DRAMA FREE message boards!

11 hours ago, TB2021 said:

I’m completely new to the community but ❤️ how invested everyone appears to be. Such a well of knowledge here and appreciation for the SME’s who I see scattered through each topic. I’ve learned so much (lol)

Welcome to the family @TB2021!

1 hour ago, FManke said:

Can someone explain the difference between them? Is it just bandwidth? My teen is asking

I am speculating here but I'm pretty sure that VOOM uses two separate sets of channels - one for the streaming option, one for the other. So, what does that mean. "Bandwidth' is the maximum number of frequencies or channels contained within it. You may have heard of a 2.4Ghz channel and a 5Ghz channel. These designations refer to a frequency range of 2400 - 2500 mhz and 5725 and 5875 mhz. VOOM is either using those two bands or it is using one and then separating channels. 

There are going to be more users on VOOM than on VOOM Stream. That's going to be one factor - you might see videos and still photos easily up or down loaded on VOOM Stream but that is subject to the same sorts of limitations on VOOM - numbers of users, satellite signal strength and noise. 

It seems to me to be a crap shoot to get more speed with VOOM Stream that allows gaming and streaming. That is because even though VOOM Stream may have more frequencies allotted to it, it is still subject to the same things that slow down a connection - things the ship's IT team has no control over (satellite signal strength and noise) - an internet connection that has less of them assigned. 

In my experience, Surf is fine for email, Facebook, Twitter, app functions, and checking a few websites. Surf & Stream let’s you stream videos and do your own live broadcasts like Facebook Live or Happs if you are patient. As mentioned above, you can expect either option to be inadequate at times, especially if you want to stream video or do a live broadcast. 

I typically do Surf & Stream for the option of doing live broadcasts, and that’s successful about 75% of the time. Early morning before everyone is awake is better than later in the day. If you’re having issues try moving to a different location. The newer ships typically have better internet than the smaller ships, so Oasis Class or Quantum Class are better for internet.