Royal Caribbean will restart cruises in Alaska in summer 2021

So happy Royal is sailing to Alaska!! Here's the link: Summer 2021 Cruises | Caribbean Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises. Heads-up if you have a cruise booked from last year on August 6th your cruise has been canceled but your price is price protected according to my TA. You also need to contact your TA or Royal to rebook or get a refund. Don't know why they didn't let people on the August 6th a chance to book first before opening the season to the public.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Carnival said there's some sort of agreement/understanding in place

Is this the same kind of conditional agreement/understanding that changed the No Sail Order to the Conditional Sail Order? 

I no longer have a vested interest in this because my Quantum Alaska---August 2021 cruise was cancelled unconditionally.

So, nothing formalized thats in the public domain? A hand shake?  I would not put any money on any July Alaska cruise out of Seattle until the CDC formally and in writing green lighted sailings from Seattle. That any cruise line is accepting bookings under circumstances where this is not the case seems to me a bit shady.

My concern is what kind of entertainment will they have, food, and basically how will they pull this off? They need to get the crew here to get vaccinated. Will they have enough people to work? I've got several holds while things settle out. There's no guarantee that what they had previous seasons on board is what they will have this short season. How will they get dancers, comedian's etc here and ready to perform? They spend months preparing to perform.

The first Alaska sailing from Seattle is 7/19/21. That's just inside 60d. Two obstacles to that sailing are the one I pointed out (compliance with the CSO v. easing of it v. PHE ends or CSO is enjoined and Port of Seattle/Seranade are cleared to operate) and the one @12thman points out ( logistics).  

I have trouble with cruise lines taking bookings and I'd assume full payment given those obstacles. OTH, the lines could have what Matt called an "understanding" and I called a guestionable "hand shake" agreement with the Seattle Port Authority and/or the CDC. 

As I previously advocated, this is where I believe the cruise lines owe customers more transparency. I'm unaware of any memos released by RCL that provides a semblance of reassurance that "we got this." Instead, we've got "trust us on this."

Not that I don't trust RCL but the last 3-4 months have seen future outcomes as anything you could call clear. It's mostly foggy with visibility near zero. And RCL wants our money? I don't think so, not mine anyway. 

7 hours ago, 12thman said:

My concern is what kind of entertainment will they have, food, and basically how will they pull this off? They need to get the crew here to get vaccinated. Will they have enough people to work? I've got several holds while things settle out. There's no guarantee that what they had previous seasons on board is what they will have this short season. How will they get dancers, comedian's etc here and ready to perform? They spend months preparing to perform.

They already have 1,000 crew members on Adventure. I don't think staffing will be an issue.

21 hours ago, GaryAA said:

We are on Ovation for the August 20th cruise. I was happy to see Sitka was added to the itinerary in place of Victoria.

We will join you, I'm happy with the itinerary.

My other take is it is going to be difficult for the CDC to not cooperate when there was a unanimous vote from both houses of congress.  Don't believe for one minute that any government agency does not take into consideration the political landscape.

8 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

We will join you, I'm happy with the itinerary.

My other take is it is going to be difficult for the CDC to not cooperate when there was a unanimous vote from both houses of congress.  Don't believe for one minute that any government agency does not take into consideration the political landscape.

Quick technical point.. it was not a unanimous vote. The bill passed both houses by unanimous consent.  Basically, no one objected. No roll call vote was taken. And if someone, anyone, had objected, we wouldn’t be talking about Alaska restarting. I wouldn’t be surprised if half of congress has any clue this was done tbh. So “pressure” on the CDC may not be as much as thought.