Deparkation and Porter use

I have been listening to old podcast and several of them say to use a porter on the last day leaving the ship.  It states that porters know how to get you through the fastest.  However it never says where to find a porter to in list their help.  Where are the porters located during deparkations?

Also, where are you bags?  We have only cruised once, on NCL, and the night before you put your bags outside cabin door, then picked them up the next morning in a holding area after leaving the ship.  Is it the same with Royal?

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral Sept 2022.

Thanks

Chris

8 minutes ago, jcfoshe said:

We have only cruised once, on NCL, and the night before you put your bags outside cabin door, then picked them up the next morning in a holding area after leaving the ship.  Is it the same with Royal?

I'm pretty sure that's what they are talking about when they say "porters." They mean onboard staff transporting your bags off ship, in mass as opposed to you carrying your own bags off. Which some people prefer.

Happy Cruising!

Porters will be in the terminal area where you pickup your bags. Just look for the people with carts and normal have a number name tag on. More often then not they'll be hollering asking if anyone needs assistance.

If I'm remembering correctly at Royal's terminal in Port Canaveral they have been using a facial recognition system for customs and immigration. Part I can't remember is if the scan is done before you have the chance to collect your bags. Once you collect your bag you can walk out without any other lines.

If the check is done before picking up your bags then the value of a porter isn't as great as it once was. The key benefit use to be the porters had a dedicated line at the customs and immigration station. That helped avoid a longer line.

Now the biggest value is when dealing with a lot of bags. The porter will haul everything to where they'll be loaded for the next part of your journey.

We use porters before and after -- if our family of 4 is traveling, older DD is in a wheelchair, and I'm usually pushing her, which means there are only 2 people to carry even the "carry-on" bags.  I can hang a couple of lightweight bags off the wheelchair handles, but that's about it.  The porters after the cruise are worth the tip, in my opinion, as we are never going to be the early rise, carry our own bags off the ship.  I've gotten better at packing, but the disabled DD comes with more equipment, supplies, etc, so we really can't manage otherwise.

Whether you carry your own bags off or put them outside your stateroom, a porter can be extremely helpful. They can help locate your bags in the terminal as well as get through security, load them into your car. Just tip them well, at least $2 a bag IMO. They work for tips and they work hard!