New P&O cruises for vaccinated passengars out of UK

I really do think this is going to be the way forward for cruises starting up again, lots of local cruise "bubbles" not sailing very far from the home ports and restricted to passengers from the areas served by those ports. I know Harmony is on her way over to this side of the pond at the moment for her dry dock so I am hoping that Royal will manage to make arrangements for her to salvage at least part of her European season from Barcelona.

My main concern is that if they insist on all passengers being vaccinated I may be too far down the pecking list to get it done in time to cruise. ?

10 minutes ago, Morganno said:

I think RC will abandon Europe this year. Which is a shame as most EU countries will have 50% of their population and 100% of their retirees fully vaccinated by end June. Plenty of people capable of proving vaccination for the summer. 

RC has missed the boat in the UK (pun intended) 4 cruise lines have announced their intention to cruise from the UK between May and September, P&O start selling cruises next week. RC has been too slow, but as we know from cancellations they're always last to make an announcement.

By June there will be over 25m over 50s fully vacinated in the UK, a not insignificant market to ignore, especially when you consider a population of less than 6M is successfully is keeping Quantum booked to it's current capacity.

Or perhaps RC got it right.  At what point is capacity saturated and the next cruise line just means no cruise line does well?

Other cruise lines let RC have Israel without rushing in to copy them.  Just two cruise lines operate from Singapore.  Five cruise lines trying to cram themselves into one market could mean none of them are successful.  Why didn't Royal activate the four other ships it has near Singapore floating around doing nothing?  Why not have five ships operating in Singapore?  There is not infinite demand in any market. 

Eventually the US market will restart.  When it does should P&O send all their ships in a blitz to the US?  Royal Caribbean has a loyal following in the UK but it doesn't have the brand recognition that P&O does in the UK.  The same can be said for other lines in other regions. 

Two or three petrol stations at an intersection makes it hard for any of them to be profitable.  Ten or twelve petrol stations at the same intersection means that none of them can ever be successful.  More is not always the answer to winning at business. 

3 hours ago, Morganno said:

I think RC will abandon Europe this year. Which is a shame as most EU countries will have 50% of their population and 100% of their retirees fully vaccinated by end June. Plenty of people capable of proving vaccination for the summer. 

What makes you think they’ll abandon it if as you say most will be vaccinated? I have my fingers crossed for a September cruise around Norway, Denmark, Netherlands and France ?

On 3/17/2021 at 3:58 PM, FionaMG said:

I really do think this is going to be the way forward for cruises starting up again, lots of local cruise "bubbles" not sailing very far from the home ports and restricted to passengers from the areas served by those ports. I know Harmony is on her way over to this side of the pond at the moment for her dry dock so I am hoping that Royal will manage to make arrangements for her to salvage at least part of her European season from Barcelona.

My main concern is that if they insist on all passengers being vaccinated I may be too far down the pecking list to get it done in time to cruise. ?

I agree sad to see but since kids are not being vaccinated it will be hard for family friendly ships to sail too - families are booking other things too though which is good to see.