Royal Caribbean Blog

Across the Seas & Through the Stars - Actually a cruise live blog - Quantum 1 March

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Wow... Very excited to see the North Star go out over the side.  They don’t do that at all anymore in NA.  Very cool.  I would have paid for that, too.

It seems they have settled on a model where free rides are shorter and only do a small turn at the top where the paid version such as in Alaska at glaciers does the full over the side version.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bye Quantum, till we meet again Prior to disembarkation, they were calling out tag numbers to disembark at allocated times. You’d normally get your tag number the night before, but if you’r

In suite dining Dinner Now this was the absolute motherload of dinner spreads. In a way, it was our own little version of the Taste of Royal meal.   Firstly, an assortment of sushi s

Oh, it's not faint. 😭

Posted Images

I am a big fan of the CK filet but let's be honest... it's a cut of meat.  Even at an expensive "proper" steakhouse on land sometimes the cut of meat leaves something to be desired.  I have mostly had great filets in CK but I have also had an encounter with a less desirable cut of meat in CK.  It happens.  

@LogicallyLazy Thanks for sharing all of this with us. This has been a lot of fun to follow, and live vicariously through you. I cant wait to see what else you share with us. 

Hey @Lovetocruise2002, I wonder if the North Star while in Norway will go off the side of the ship? 

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

One time I had the ribeye in CK.  It was not good at all.  Probably one of the worst I've ever had.  I will have to try the Chops ribeye in the future.

I was honestly really surprised. Not only was it massive, but it tasted so good. Maybe the bone-in gave it that extra kick of flavor

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Has Star Class food coma set in yet?  It's a real condition you know?

I think it set in after dinner yesterday lol. With so little days, I think we’re trying to cram too many dishes into every meal and then realizing we were too ambitious. Haha. But well, we are on vacation. We’ll worry about our weight after. Haha. 

1 hour ago, LewieE said:

@LogicallyLazy  Loving the blog!  Thanks for continuing to allow us to cruise along with you!  Ribeye is my favorite, so I'm really looking forward to trying that when I finally make it out.  Though I know I have to try the Filet night at CK to stay on @Lovetocruise2002's good side!

You should. I think I am always looking for good filets, I sometimes overlook the ribeyes which can be just as good

In suite dining Dinner

Now this was the absolute motherload of dinner spreads. In a way, it was our own little version of the Taste of Royal meal.

ABC3CA96-8440-4B01-BDE1-651D899FE1B8.thumb.jpeg.e4ec397525f520b2eef90c93145a34a2.jpeg

Firstly, an assortment of sushi sashimi and Japanese spread from Izumi. 

E6E5867B-CA40-4243-A529-D3224D745DBC.thumb.jpeg.d2901def06ee0ba512622282cc343be3.jpegCA4E1BE3-056B-454A-AE0C-59863285EBD2.thumb.jpeg.9628072177fafcb83a98c25f39b7b851.jpeg

Supplemented by some familiar items from Chops. 

FDE2F5E0-2880-4D3F-8430-9BB999DC92E8.thumb.jpeg.a6a58729a52f56e4307ecf07e3da8465.jpeg

And to top it off, I saw they served the beef Wellington in the MDR on their Christmas and New Years sailing. I requested if they could have it prepared and they could. For such a thick slab of meat, it was surprisingly tender. We didn’t have steak knives, only the blunt table knifes and we had no trouble cutting through. 

6E3839C8-074C-4B50-ACD2-9F5D6AA9DC9E.thumb.jpeg.d8966b1d2b300960bc8e36dc29f33c3e.jpeg

To close off the meal, we wanted desert from Wonderland. This is where Eli and the kitchen staff really went above and beyond. Due to our dietary restriction of pork, we are unable to take gelatin. Consulting with Eli prior to boarding, she checked with the Wonderland staff and confirmed that it did contain gelatin, to which they mentioned they would prepare something specially for us. Come today, and I receive a message from Eli, asking if I was able to take beef gelatin instead. (Yes, by the way). So, not only were they able to accommodate my needs, but managed to give me the authentic wonderland experience as well. 

9BFA0F4B-9549-4A79-9AC8-F4F5885889EE.thumb.jpeg.603a23bcf1cbfe22f205b1172ed69c02.jpeg4F178254-2CE1-42E7-99B4-E7399250F03E.thumb.jpeg.c63342dddb36bd1dbb89cba8ee545da0.jpeg

To end the day, we headed over to the Music hall to catch some after dinner music. 

We checked with Eli beforehand and she confirmed she wasn’t able to assist in reserving a space for us. Also, recuperating from our massive feast, we were a little late, which meant many of the seats were already taken. We still managed to get in and listen to the music, though we didn’t have a good view of the stage, so unfortunately no photos. 

And that’s day 2 wrapped up. Finally caught up to the present. Now hopefully I can keep it like that till tomorrow 😝

33 minutes ago, LogicallyLazy said:

I was honestly really surprised. Not only was it massive, but it tasted so good. Maybe the bone-in gave it that extra kick of flavor

Each time we ate at Chops I had the ribeye 🥩 and it was delicious.  I am from a province that is known for its world quality beef so my expectations are high.  I can’t compare it to the filet in CK because I totally missed it. Rookie mistake LOL  

Final post before heading to bed. 

In the past, some cruisers contacted their Genie through the loop app. For our sailing, that wasn’t mentioned at all. I heard some using Facebook messenger before. 

Once on board, Eli informed us to contact her through WhatsApp. I think this changes based on what’s most convenient where they’re sailing from. Almost everyone uses WhatsApp in Singapore which makes sense for them to use it too. 

Sorry, just a random thought before bed. 

18 hours ago, LogicallyLazy said:

The thermal suite pass is around $20 pppd but you do not need to get it for everyday of the sailing. However, you will be required to book a reservation. That said, the thermal suite will be private to you and your party which is kind of sweet

We always book the 7 day thermal suite pass. With reservations now required it will be interesting to see how this process evolves.  Pre Covid we showed up spontaneously and always at separate times. Hubby would go early morning and me sometime much later. Lol It will be interesting to see if they encourage couples to attend together. 

2 hours ago, Jax said:

Interesting that you were able to order from multiple venues for a meal. On Anthem our genie said it was limited to one. Maybe this policy has been relaxed due to Covid?? Or maybe it’s ship specific or maybe just another one of those star class inconsistencies. Lol 🤔 

Same here.  This has been the rule on all of our SC cruises HOWEVER, I will say that for our Harmony cruise with the Jim Twins, they had a party in their suite (more like a royal rumble....it was wild !) and food was coming in from EVERYwhere.  We had food from Sabor, the MDR, all of the specialties.  We finally had to start turning food away there was so much.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Weird that the Genies use a third party app to contact them. I'd feel super weird hitting them up on whatsapp.

It's very Genie specific.  Some prefer email.  Some prefer a call on their phones.  Some prefer messaging through social media.  Totally depends on the Genie.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I will say that for our Harmony cruise with the Jim Twins, they had a party in their suite (more like a royal rumble....it was wild !) and food was coming in from EVERYwhere.  We had food from Sabor, the MDR, all of the specialties.  We finally had to start turning food away there was so much.

I always get a laugh out of your choice of words. “Royal rumble” 🤣 Love it!

6 hours ago, Jax said:

On Anthem our genie said it was limited to one

Oh? I did not know this. I asked Eli before boarding while we were planning and she didn’t bat an eye. 

5 hours ago, Jax said:

It will be interesting to see if they encourage couples to attend together

They probably would. Especially if your cruise has many people who frequent the spa. I will say that the need to plan ahead what time to go to the spa makes it a smidge more inconvenient than simply popping in whenever possible 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Weird that the Genies use a third party app to contact them. I'd feel super weird hitting them up on whatsapp.

Hmm, this is my first cruise so I don’t have anything to base it off of. Lol. But I will say that while researching, the method for contacting the genie was wildly inconsistent. 

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We had food from Sabor, the MDR, all of the specialties.  We finally had to start turning food away there was so much.

That sounds way too familiar. Lol

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Same here.  I don't use any FB owned platform so if a Genie offered only that solution I wouldn't be a happy guest.

Perhaps the new chat feature in the app will help.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Same here.  I don't use any FB owned platform so if a Genie offered only that solution I wouldn't be a happy guest.

Perhaps the new chat feature in the app will help.

They always have their phones (provided by the ship) on them so that is always going to be an option. They give you a card with their number at the start. Just some genies prefer to use their personal device instead and some stick with the ship phone.

Before lunch, we headed over to the music hall for a little Harry Potter Trivia. 
74639184-AC85-40F8-9DD5-0A6BA4116321.thumb.jpeg.55478906039f1791b0ad40a837199359.jpeg24D9A3FD-9AC4-432E-A440-BDCDD2E30972.thumb.jpeg.a377dda4ce93a51796eeae0b7505b9e9.jpeg

After which, we went over to CK for our lunch. I think personally, this was the least impressive meal so far. Almost all the dishes were just passable, the salmon and chicken were pretty dry. 
3F7D2931-C50F-4EAA-9058-88399F4398F9.thumb.jpeg.105397db65b57427bd63713b9aeae66c.jpeg4F34493F-735D-42BF-BB14-7936CBB8B846.thumb.jpeg.ea7f5422480f1a76125c3c7675c6e811.jpegA33FB1CD-0246-4A33-B7B4-6F27E77666D6.thumb.jpeg.43c5d04b51a1ea66f2ee2666c0402e87.jpeg75849C29-F1D4-4DCC-91AC-637725B3A84B.thumb.jpeg.fa535e48713a64d64545007ad49629b6.jpeg99BD4906-9A19-4E00-81BD-97D534DBE8F7.thumb.jpeg.956cfa360b9f5360e10d55070223e899.jpeg

After lunch, we headed over to the Seaplex for foosball and Table Tennis.