FCC/refund

Eliebert

I canceled our cruise 3 days before the global shutdown in March. At the time the only option was to get a FCC for 100%. Now they are offering 125% or full refund. I have called and asked for a refund multiple times to no avail. Has anyone had success with this. Furthermore, if I book a new cruise and it gets canceled due to the global shutdown....does anyone know what my refund options would be. I can’t seem to get a clear answer from RC. TIA

8 minutes ago, Eliebert said:

I canceled our cruise 3 days before the global shutdown in March. At the time the only option was to get a FCC for 100%. Now they are offering 125% or full refund. I have called and asked for a refund multiple times to no avail. Has anyone had success with this. Furthermore, if I book a new cruise and it gets canceled due to the global shutdown....does anyone know what my refund options would be. I can’t seem to get a clear answer from RC. TIA

I was in the exact same situation as you back in March.  They will not budge.  I escalated it as high as I could go.  If you cancel under Cruise with Confidence (which you did and so did I), you will only get FCC.  If they cancel on you, your options are:  125% FCC, full refund, or Lift & Shift.

If I book another cruise with my FCC and they cancel....will I be able to get my money back then. I think thats what you meant but I wanted to clarify. I’m thinking of booking something and taking my chances in hopes that I could get our money back. Thanks for your help!

4 minutes ago, Eliebert said:

If I book another cruise with my FCC and they cancel....will I be able to get my money back then. I think thats what you meant but I wanted to clarify. I’m thinking of booking something and taking my chances in hopes that I could get our money back. Thanks for your help!

No.  Any portion of the cruise fare that you paid for with FCC will be returned back as FCC if they cancel again.

For example, FCC from my cancelled March sailing, I used to pay for a now cancelled August sailing.  I got that back re-issued as another FCC.  

The only time you get a refund back is when you have paid out of pocket and they cancel on you.

47 minutes ago, Eliebert said:

Now they are offering 125% or full refund. I have called and asked for a refund multiple times to no avail.

You opted to cancel, and RC is very firm they will not let you switch.  

47 minutes ago, Eliebert said:

Furthermore, if I book a new cruise and it gets canceled due to the global shutdown....does anyone know what my refund options would be.

If you apply a FCC and then RC cancels the cruise, the original FCC gets re-issued. Any money you paid on top of the FCC would have choice of refund or new FCC

Hello...I 'blogged' about this in a different post yesterday...so my opinion is this:

Using Cruise with Confidence (I also did this in March) allowed me to cancel completely and receive FCC for the cruise fare and cash refunds for  taxes, gratuities, cruise planner items, airfares (I booked them through Air2Sea). The biggest plus (to me) was the non-refundable deposits were refunded!  My cruise was about 36 days out so they actually refunded 25% of the cruise fare in cash and 75% as FCC...which I have used for my re-booked cruise, so I might have another decision to make once 2021 arrives!!  

We all agreed to the terms of the Cruise with Confidence on whatever day we cancelled.  That was our choice and I do not know about you but when I called to cancel with CWC, the person I spoke to reiterated to me what I was agreeing to.  Anything that was offered after that we are not entitled to because we chose what we did at the time we cancelled.  Yes, had we known the cruise was going to be cancelled by Royal with better offerings, perhaps we would have all waited...I certainly would have!!! 

I look at this as my misfortune...in hindsight, yes it would have been better to wait!  But I am still grateful I got what I got (even though I did lose the travel insurance I had paid with the cruise).     

BUT: Does anyone else feel like I do or am I stupid for being so passive about this? ?‍♀️

2 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

BUT: Does anyone else feel like I do or am I stupid for being so passive about this? ?‍♀️

Not at all.  The only thing was that during that initial round of cancellations back in March, Royal messed up in that on social media, they were telling people (like myself) who cancelled a few days prior to their announcement that they would also be eligible to a refund or 125% FCC.  There were tons of people who had screen shots, emails, private messages with Royal in writing etc. but Royal would not budge.  That left a bad feeling with a lot of people in that first round.  That's what I was referring to about escalating it.  Anyway, that's the past, I just want to get back to cruising.

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Not at all.  The only thing was that during that initial round of cancellations back in March, Royal messed up in that on social media, they were telling people (like myself) who cancelled a few days prior to their announcement that they would also be eligible to a refund or 125% FCC.  There were tons of people who had screen shots, emails, private messages with Royal in writing etc. but Royal would not budge.  That left a bad feeling with a lot of people in that first round.  That's what I was referring to about escalating it.  Anyway, that's the past, I just want to get back to cruising.

Oh...now I understand!!  Yes, that does make it worse!!  So sorry you had to go through that.  And yes, I agree....PLEASE LET US CRUISE SOON!!!!!

13 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I look at this as my misfortune...in hindsight, yes it would have been better to wait!  But I am still grateful I got what I got (even though I did lose the travel insurance I had paid with the cruise). 

Since it was all the way back in March it's probably much too late to try and change that. But If you booked with a third party for your trip insurance, it's possible to get that premium money back. See my thread about this very topic here. I don't know if they would even consider a plea this far after cancellation, as the policy has probably been marked as executed / expired. But it might not hurt to reach out them and ask, especially if you have all of your documentation showing the cancellation refunds / credits for the total of the insured amount.

Has anyone encountered this situation?  We never received our FCC certificate for our cancelled May-2020 cruise.  I emailed our travel agent to look into it today.  He asked RC and they stated that it was refunded this month.  Low and behold, I have the refund on my credit card statement.  My agent said he will try to get the FCC funds for me.  Do you think he will have any luck?  We never requested the refund and wanted the additional funds offered on the FCC.

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2020 at 1:47 PM, emfagan said:

Has anyone encountered this situation?  We never received our FCC certificate for our cancelled May-2020 cruise.  I emailed our travel agent to look into it today.  He asked RC and they stated that it was refunded this month.  Low and behold, I have the refund on my credit card statement.  My agent said he will try to get the FCC funds for me.  Do you think he will have any luck?  We never requested the refund and wanted the additional funds offered on the FCC.

My travel agent was able to get me the 25% Future Cruise credit.  I'm so glad!