Ovation of the Seas - Any fees for iFly or North Star (also is there a limit to how many times you can experience it)?

Ruth

Would you please share if there are any fees to experiencing iFly or North Star (our upcoming cruise is on Ovation)?  Also, are there any limits to the amount of times you can experience either one of them.  Last question; what’s the best way to schedule either one of these two activities ?

Thank so much in advance for your input, advice and valuable information.......

As a general rule, there are no fees to experience ripcord or northstar (except in Asia). However, reservations are needed for both and you're limited to one reservation per sailing (standby is available for additional times). Also keep in mind that during Alaska itineraries the northstar is offered as an excursion at the best viewing times.  

6 hours ago, RicDalek said:

As a general rule, there are no fees to experience ripcord or northstar (except in Asia)...   ... Also keep in mind that during Alaska itineraries the northstar is offered as an excursion at the best viewing times.  

The “best viewing times” might be a little open ended so just sharing the Northstar rides with an associated charge should be only when the ship is at the glacier.  The charge was $50.  @twangster can always provide more details.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Really ?  That's the first time I've read that !

I guess that's one of the big perks of Star Class then....we rode as many times as we wanted.  Yikes.

Yes, I tried a few times even when I found a free spot on the app and the answer was always the same. Only one time per guest.

Lucky ones those on Star Class! 

iFly is very popular so they do tend to restrict reservations to one per cruise.  

North Star is another matter.  They will also control reservations but North Star tends to have several times that are walk up only.  During reservation times often guests don’t show up and walk up guests can participate on a space available basis.  

When I sailed Ovation to Hawaii I didn’t make North Star reservations and went several times on a walk up basis.  

• 4 weeks later...

How long does an iFly session last? As in, from the time that you turn up, do a briefing, get dressed, take your turn, watch everyone else, etc?

Also, through Cruise Planner, I am only able to book two people at a time. I want to book 4 adults, but have had to put my wife and I at 4:40pm and my brother and sister-in-law at 4:50. I wonder if we will be in the same group (whenever I see footage there appears to be groups of a dozen people suited up waiting to take their turn).

It's probably about 30 mins a session.  There's checkin and then a video briefing session. Then there's suiting up.  Then there's queuing and waiting for the group ahead to finish.  So you may not be in the same session.  You may be able to finnagle it if there's room and they will get you all in together.  Depends on other no-shows or late arrivals.  It was 8 or 10 in a group if I remember correctly.

Pro tip if you can..have someone not participating take photos for you!  You're not allowed to take your phone with you and you guys are booked too close together to take pics of each other.

3 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

It's probably about 30 mins a session.  There's checkin and then a video briefing session. Then there's suiting up.  Then there's queuing and waiting for the group ahead to finish.  So you may not be in the same session.  You may be able to finnagle it if there's room and they will get you all in together.  Depends on other no-shows or late arrivals.  It was 8 or 10 in a group if I remember correctly.

Pro tip if you can..have someone not participating take photos for you!  You're not allowed to take your phone with you and you guys are booked too close together to take pics of each other.

Great advice Ashley, thank you. Been enjoying your live blog too!