BOGO

tco

30% off everyone is a better deal than BOGO.  Just do the math!!  if your cruise was $1000 - at 30% off everyone it would be $700 each or $1400.  at BOGO it would be $1000 for first guest and $500 for second = $1500.  you save $100 using the current 30% off promotion and right now you also get room credit back.  and 30% off gets even better right now if you have a 3rd and or 4th person in your cabin because the 30% off applies to them also.

Marketing says always offer sales. It seems in the cruise business two types of clients are what the lines look for. The clients that look at cruises far away in time  and book them based upon the ship and the cruise being the two key things. The second group which includes many reward program clients are people who also look very closely at the deal. And this group; first time cruises, reward, and other travelers want to have a great deal. 

Who ever pays full retail for cruise travel ? Even if you book the day the cruise is published it still is at a discount. So if everything is always discounted is it a discount or the real retail price? Very old rule in sales that says "It is not the deal the client gets, it is the deal they think they get" What is important is that the client gets what they believe is a great deal. Even if it is the same price most others paid.

So cruise lines always have a sale in place it is just part of the business.

In March 2015, I booked BOGO 50% off passengers, BOGO 50% off Premium drink package and 100 OBC for a July 2016 cruise.  I haven't seen that BOGO combo since.  The problem with getting any BOGO or special offer is that if another one comes out and you want to change your booking, you can lose parts of your original deal.  For example, if I change to the 30% deal, I'd lose my BOGO drink deal and also risk not being able to get the stateroom I wanted since sometimes the deals are "tied" to certain tiers of staterooms.  It's a gamble.  I think I got a good deal though :)

In my opinion, they're all variations of the same and rarely result in any additional savings.

When BOGO first came out, in May 2014, for the first couple of days it's truly was a BOGO sale - they didn't inflate the prices until a couple of days into the sale.  With two kids we booked two cabins at just $30 over putting us all in one cabin would have cost.  Wish those days were back again....

• 1 month later...

Bogo can be a good deal but very hard to tell if the best deal. What many of us due is book and then go back and look until the final cut off date for the cruise. Sometimes I have changed book cruises two or three times to get the best deal. RCCL allows you to cancel most cruises 90 days out with 100% refund. So really no reason not to book now as you have months to change your plans.

Bogo can be a good deal but very hard to tell if the best deal. What many of us due is book and then go back and look until the final cut off date for the cruise. Sometimes I have changed book cruises two or three times to get the best deal. RCCL allows you to cancel most cruises 90 days out with 100% refund. So really no reason not to book now as you have months to change your plans.

Oh okay thanks. I wasn't sure if RCL allows you to rebook or change existing deals to others. Thanks!

If you are booking under the US booking rules you are able to cancel up until final payment date and receive a full refund.

For a lot of their new offers RCI adds language about "for new bookings only" but in reality if you push they will honor the new deal for you anyway since you ultimately have the right to cancel your existing deal and then rebook the new deal.

For bookings under other countries rules this is not always true but it looks like you are in the US so the best strategy is definitely- Book now and rebook later if deals get better.

If you are booking under the US booking rules you are able to cancel up until final payment date and receive a full refund.

For a lot of their new offers RCI adds language about "for new bookings only" but in reality if you push they will honor the new deal for you anyway since you ultimately have the right to cancel your existing deal and then rebook the new deal.

For bookings under other countries rules this is not always true but it looks like you are in the US so the best strategy is definitely- Book now and rebook later if deals get better.

Thanks!

These sales are nice, but your still need to monitor promos after you book until you make that last payment to RC (I book through RC online and simply call them for an immediate adjustment if the current promo is better).  

I also strongly agree that the earlier you book (a year in advance or more whenever possible) the better as you tend to get the absolute lowest base cabin rate and of course the best selection of available cabins in any given category.

The closer you get to departure date, the base rate starts to climb as cabins in any given category become scarce.  So, a better promo at face value down the road often is not nearly as good as the original BOGO or 30% off rate you booked in the first place.  Even using the 30% or BOGO sales as an example... 30% or 50% off what underlying rate?  If you raise the cabin rate 25%-50% over time and then offer a new promo, have you really gained anything (most likely more expensive)?

I'm probably going to book a cruise for May 2017 tonight before the sale ends and of course just leave the deposit... absolutely no worries because if a better deal comes along I just pick the phone up and in literally 10 minutes or so I have the new promo rate applied and updated reservation confirmation (if it is actually better on the bottom line).  It just can get confusing when they throw in OBC or free wi-fi when trying to compare deals!

Just some food for thought!