NCL Norwegian Escape in NYC

Not RC I know, but, to me, spotting any cruise ship is exciting: I'm in NYC this week and whilst visiting USS Intrepid and taking in the excitement and festivities of Fleet Week, I spotted NCL's Norwegian Escape, with her impressive looking ropes course, in port. 

20190526_113714.jpg

7 hours ago, Skid said:

@hayley_bopp Hope you have a great time here! What are your plans...are you seeing any Broadway shows? Are you cruising from NY or NJ? Inquiring minds want to know!

Unfortunately not cruising anywhere this time - you'd all have heard about it if I was ?

My husband's always wanted to visit NYC so I've brought him here as a surprise for his 40th birthday. 

We got here on Saturday afternoon. So far, we've been to Times Square, Rockefeller Centre, USS Intrepid and we did an all access tour at Madison Square Garden (he's a BIG boxing fan - it's a shame we'll have gone home by the time Anthony Joshua fights there on Saturday). We've also visited several bars that serve craft beer. 

Today we're off to 9/11 memorial and museum before heading over to Lady Liberty. 

We've also got tickets for Empire State Building and a bike tour around Central Park. We haven't got tickets for a show as yet but might see if we can get some last minute. 

Any hints and tips for sightseeing gratefully received ?

3 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

Any hints and tips for sightseeing gratefully received ?

Good Morning Hayley and hubby. You guys have certainly packed in a lot already.

A must see while here (and this is about the building, not a religious statement) is St. Patrick's Cathedral---5th Avenue and 51st Street. Stunning architecture. https://www.saintpatrickscathedral.org/     

image.png.94712b9f23bc18ecd2a8be521099e1b3.png  image.png

If you like Italian food, you can try Becco, 355 W 46th St., between 8th and 9th Avenues. It is actually pretty crowded and noisy, but something always draws us back. If they still have it, you can keep the cost down by trying their 3 pasta price fixe lunch. 3 different kinds of pastas of the day, all you can eat. They keep coming around to fill up your plate. https://becco-nyc.com/

If you want pizza, try John's Pizza, 260 W 44th St, between 8th Ave & Broadway...thin crust brick oven pizza. No slices--pies only, but easily sized for 2 people to share. The bar alone in there holds probably well over 100 people.  Not your average pizza place.  https://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/

Another place we like is Brasserie Athenee, 300 West 46th St at the corner of 8th Avenue. Wife loved the seafood linguini and I had one of the best burgers ever. " Corner bistro with a Parisian ambiance plating French classics plus a pre-theater fixed-price menu".

These places will be most crowded on Wednesday afternoons because of the Broadway show matinee performances.

If you do decide to take in a show and you are a kid at heart, try Frozen. Amazing special effects and a really fun musical.  https://frozenthemusical.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhMHqhO274gIViY3ICh0u3wonEAAYASAAEgIQDvD_BwE That is playing at the St James Theater, 246 West 44th St between 8th Avenue and Broadway. There may be 1/2 price tickets on day of show. here. Discount tickets should be available on that site also or maybe at the hotel where you are staying. You can also buy discount tickets here. Very reliable site--we have used them many times.

Enjoy your stay!

Try he oldest bar in NYC McSorley’s Ale House on E 7th street.  For shows, you can’t beat “Waitress”. It is cheep, easy to get last minute tickets, amazing music and musicianship.  I have seen it twice and would see it again in a heartbeat. I also recommend the Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden in Astoria, Queens.  Authentic German beer and food in a century-old beer garden. 

Have fun.

16 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

Not RC I know, but, to me, spotting any cruise ship is exciting: I'm in NYC this week and whilst visiting USS Intrepid and taking in the excitement and festivities of Fleet Week, I spotted NCL's Norwegian Escape, with her impressive looking ropes course, in port. 

20190526_113714.jpg

That ropes course is a lot of fun, especially “walking the plank” and taking a picture off the edge. 

@hayley_bopp, another good option for Broadway show tickets is the TKTS booth / online service. My family and I used that to catch a Wednesday matinee of Anastasia and got the tickets for 50% off (although after reading about them on Wikipedia, it may well have not have actually been that much). Tickets tend to be relatively good seats in the orchestra section, though they may be off to one side of center. If you're OK with standing on line at the booth, we found that there are reps for all the shows being sold who wander the queue and will explain the shows to you if you're unfamiliar with them. The tickets sold there vary from week to week and aren't usually for A-list shows like Hamilton or Dear Evan Hansen, but you can still see some good productions for a discount.

Thanks for the recommendation of St John's Pizza @Skid - we've just had a nice meal there. Top tip for anyone else going: the small pizza is plenty for 2 to share. We had 2 smalls between 3 people and couldn't eat it all. 

I also had a glass of the Kendall Jackson Chardonnay so it felt a bit like being on a RC cruise ?

20190528_190746.jpg

20190528_194044.jpg

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

Hopefully you got in before the storms hit. Don’t think I’ve ever been in New York before and had tornado watches. 

10 minutes ago, Skid said:

That certainly doesn't happen very often. @hayley_bopp, are you and your family OK?

We got wet walking back to the hotel but bring Brits and spending a lot of time in Wales we're used to that ?

The weather actually worked in our favour as the rooftop bar (with retractable roof) at our hotel was much quieter than it has been so we got front row seats for a view of the Empire State building with lightning going off all around it. I'll upload the video my husband took when it's eventually downloaded to my phone. 

7 hours ago, Skid said:

@hayley_bopp are you still in NY? How do you like it?  Did you get to a Broadway show? Safe travels.

Got home yesterday. Had a great time. Thanks for the recommendations. Didn't get to a show (maybe next time - although I was  lucky enough to see Cats on Broadway the first time I visited)