Ovation Goes North, Way North to Alaska! 11 Nights, May 13, 2019

twangster

19 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Thanks.  He's right, I was wrong (although I still don't see it, but I'll take your word for it).  I'm actually glad that I don't see it because that sounds really ugly, lol.

It's so funny that your brought up the baby/powder blue hull color! When we were in the souvenir shop on Allure, I was looking at the ship model and I was complaining to my wife that it was not accurate because the hull was blue on the model.

When we docked in Labadee and we were walking down the pier I first realized the hull is baby/powder blue on Allure! When we boarded the ship on embarkation day, I had never looked at the hull to notice it!  It is harder to see the color in bright sunlight and from a distance. I like a nice bright white hull too!

42ADDEC5-494C-45D1-9FDA-3354630BDDA8.thumb.jpeg.a1a5257b3e7aa35322ec239dcc60ca72.jpeg

2511A5C2-7892-4EC6-B464-2E7092E42F03.thumb.jpeg.dd0541e98848cd1981d9b4b6dfc9d624.jpeg

On 5/31/2019 at 10:01 PM, twangster said:

Found a video that got lost for a bit.

Day 4 before our arrival into Icy Strait Point.  Having breakfast on my balcony when this happens...

Dall's Porpoises.  

Watching your videos I am beginning to think I might have made a mistake....Alaska is #1 on my bucket list, so when it came time to finally book my own Alaska cruise I pulled out all the stops and splurged, spending the extra bucks to get the corner aft balcony room.....now perhaps I am overthinking this but it seems to me there would be a greater chance of seeing aquatic activity from a normal "side" balcony than from the aft as off to the sides is seas relatively undisturbed by the ship while to the aft is water being actively disturbed by the ship and therefore may be lacking in aquatic activity....hopefully I am wrong as everything else about the aft balcony seems to be a plus (room for 4 chairs!!)

6 minutes ago, jce2 said:

Watching your videos I am beginning to think I might have made a mistake....Alaska is #1 on my bucket list, so when it came time to finally book my own Alaska cruise I pulled out all the stops and splurged, spending the extra bucks to get the corner aft balcony room.....now perhaps I am overthinking this but it seems to me there would be a greater chance of seeing aquatic activity from a normal "side" balcony than from the aft as off to the sides is seas relatively undisturbed by the ship while to the aft is water being actively disturbed by the ship and therefore may be lacking in aquatic activity....hopefully I am wrong as everything else about the aft balcony seems to be a plus (room for 4 chairs!!)

There is marine life all over.  Who knows what someone on the other side or on the aft was able to see that I missed.  

This is one of the reasons why on an Alaskan cruise I often spend time on the top decks or down low on outer decks like deck 4 or 5 (depending on ship) moving around the ship.  Even then some of these sightings require luck and for you to be in the right place at the right time.

23 hours ago, jce2 said:

Not sure which ship or room you are referring to but as Twangster mentions there is no bad view.  Wanted to share  that we sailed with him but had the starboard/aft.  There were opportunities to see whales, seals, eagles, etc.  It doesn’t seem to be as specific to location but more being in the right place at the right time.  As for the landscape views it is pretty constant so you just have to be looking.  

Based on our room and everting we were able to see I think you will be fine.  Just take the time to enjoy.  

• 4 weeks later...

@twangster

I just wanted to send you a big "thank you!!" for this thread.  Seriously - comments and photos are AMAZING!

After traveling extensively elsewhere, we finally said - why have we never done a cruise??  LOL.  We will be taking the plunge on Ovation later in July for our maiden voyage.

Your blog here (and others' comments) answered tons of our silly "first timer" questions.   We feel like there are many little unknowns about cruising (how long until our bags get to our room on day 1, what's the MDR like, should we grab a North Star slot during Endicott Arms/Dawes, etc etc etc...) - so we feel a bit more prepared.

I know this took a lot of your time - so thank you again - you got us very excited about cruising.  ?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...