Medical care aboard ship

First time we had a need for the medical facilities was just after this thread began. September 2019 my wife came down with the flu. As I recall the total was around 350 including the test, an expensive med as well as the follow-up to clear her out of quarantine. We always carry travel insurance so we sent the paperwork to them and within a few weeks had the money.

The only other time was when I was pitched into the end of a railing in the pool area and cut my arm. Didn't need stitches but they cleaned the area and gave me some butterfly bandaides to keep it closed. No charge. 

On 1/1/2023 at 11:06 AM, NancyP said:

Regarding travel insurance, I’m considering booking a family cruise with age ranges in 20s, 50-60s, and 80s. Can I get different policies for each of us (basic for daughter, moderate for us and high for elderly parents) even if it’s all one trip/booking? Reading this thread reminded me of the differences in what we all may need and I want to have (some) peace of mind. Thanks!

Yes, you can book all of you on 1 policy.  And rates basically are based on age, length of trip, and amount of money you want to insure.   I do not insure my flights as they are just credited back to me if I cancel.    I usually cover the cruise amount and hotels.    I have my travel agent book it for me.  But you can do it yourself.  

Last spring I went into A-Fib for the very first time. I called the medical facility and they said to come right down. They provided me with excellent care. I had two doctors and two nurses taking care of me at all times. Head doctor was consulting with a cardiologist in Miami through RCI and the decision was made to turn the ship around - by the time this decision was made we had left Puerto Rico about 30 minutes earlier - and have me taken to a land hospital. The entire experience onboard Jewel of the Seas was professional and caring. I was in what they called their ICU for about 1.45 hours and the total cost was $2300.  The fee was posted to our sea pass card and had to be paid before we left the ship. Our travel health insurance covered almost all of that once I submitted the claim. The care I received in PR was nowhere close to as good as I had on the ship. Not even close. However the cost for the overnight in PR ending up being only a couple of hundred dollars as they took our healthcare and were actually considered 'in network'!