Oasis Class #6 !!!!

Busiest US Cruise Ports

1. Miami
  2. Port Canaveral
  3. Ft Lauderdale
  4. Galveston

These counts are based on passenger counts including those on day visits.  Port Canaveral is on the only port on this list that functions both as an embarkation port and a port of call for day visits so it's numbers are inflated relative to the others.

Ft Lauderdale was the very first Oasis embarkation port and the most convenient of them all.  However none of them are hard to access.  While the Miami airport is gateway to South America and serves other international destinations, Orlando's airport is the gateway to Disney World and not everyone is into Disney.  Miami is the most challenging port due to tides and the channel used to enter the port.  Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale airport has a larger domestic airline market and since it borders Port Everglades it is by far the easiest.  

Regardless, they'll all remain home ports for Oasis class I suspect.   It's just a matter of which ship and when.  

Just now, PocketsRN said:

Are they still using the overflow 'terminal' down in Miami?  Haven't been down there in a couple years, since well before the new terminal opened.

Overflow?  Very few ships fit over at terminal J.  However with PoM being the busiest cruise port in the world, terminal J is used often by those lines with a ship that can use it.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:41 PM, ultimate_ed said:

So, I must confess, I'm a bit torn on this one.  On the one hand, I'm glad for a new ship.  On the other hand, the Oasis class is now ten years old and when Oasis 6 launches, the class will be 14 years old.  At least from the bit of digging that I've done on RCCL ship classes, that would be the longest time span that a ship class had been in production.  At six ships, it would also tie for the largest class.

I guess I'm a bit concerned that the design isn't as fresh as it was when it launched ten years ago - considering that other fleets have stepped up their design game over the last decade, including RCCL itself with the Quantum class.  Does Oasis 6 make the most sense compared to Icon 3?

I mean, I understand these ships are built to be in service for many years and do get upgraded - we're certainly looking forward to what Oasis herself will be getting.  But still, the basic aesthetic of the ship is itself pretty well fixed by the class, and that aesthetic will be older than any off RCCL's large quantity classes at this stage (It looks like the Vision class six ships came out over about 5 years and the Voyager class five ships came out over 4 years).

Of course, I'm one to talk - I haven't had a chance to sail on any Oasis class ships yet, so any of them will be a new experience for me.

Very good point but having sailed on the Quantum class and Oasis class, I would take the Oasis class hands down, the Quantum class was a major step backwards and can't compare to an Oasis class ship.  Just my opinion.

I've sailed on Oasis OTS & Anthem OTS...there are some things I wish Oasis Class ship would adopt from the Quantum Class. One being the cascading pools in the Solarium...another being 270° which obviously has to be located on the back of the ship, under the Auqa Theater, moving the dining hall forward a bit...and finally, an I-Fly simulator. Just a few things I think would serve the Oasis Class well. Maybe put a tinted glass cover across the sports court & the putt putt golf, similarto the Solarium...one piece, not two separate pieces however.

The <unique> space that we have really enjoyed on Anthem is the Music Hall.  I find it to be a very versatile and comfortable area and think something along these lines on the older class ships would be welcome.  I am not a night-clubber but it seems like they have removed all night life venues in most of the ships so it was nice to see a lively and well-utilized venue on Anthem.  They use this space all day and night for various events (from bingo during the day to concerts at night).

Interestingly, our Genie was very hesitant to provide reserved seats for us in the Music Hall. When we told her we wanted to go to see the Bon Jovi tribute band at the Music Hall her first answer was “no” she could not reserve seats for us.  I pushed back b/c honestly, I don’t understand why she couldn’t or wouldn’t reserve seats for...but she finally relented...but even when she did save seats for us, she did not use the regular red Star Class drapes, she just sat down and saved 2 seats in the upper deck for us until we showed up.  I still don’t understand what the difference is for this venue but we got to see our concert so we were happy.  Perhaps it is b/c the Music Hall does not accept reservations for anyone and they don’t like reserving seats in an otherwise non-reserved venue.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

The <unique> space that we have really enjoyed on Anthem is the Music Hall.  I find it to be a very versatile and comfortable area and think something along these lines on the older class ships would be welcome.  I am not a night-clubber but it seems like they have removed all night life venues in most of the ships so it was nice to see a lively and well-utilized venue on Anthem.  They use this space all day and night for various events (from bingo during the day to concerts at night).

Interestingly, our Genie was very hesitant to provide reserved seats for us in the Music Hall. When we told her we wanted to go to see the Bon Jovi tribute band at the Music Hall her first answer was “no” she could not reserve seats for us.  I pushed back b/c honestly, I don’t understand why she couldn’t or wouldn’t reserve seats for...but she finally relented...but even when she did save seats for us, she did not use the regular red Star Class drapes, she just sat down and saved 2 seats in the upper deck for us until we showed up.  I still don’t understand what the difference is for this venue but we got to see our concert so we were happy.  Perhaps it is b/c the Music Hall does not accept reservations for anyone and they don’t like reserving seats in an otherwise non-reserved venue.

Interesting.  Perhaps the HD/CD established some rules for Genie's to follow.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Interesting.  Perhaps the HD/CD established some rules for Genie's to follow.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I suspect this is true.

I do too.  In fact, Hubby and I were just talking about this last night.  Quite a few times now, we have asked our Genie for things that we know others have done on other ships (ex. reserve cabanas on the suite sun deck, reserve seats for parades or at the rising tide bar) and the answer is no, it cannot be done on Harmony.  But can be done on other ships.  We suspect that each ship has rules of their own for Star class and the general benefits are the same but the specific things vary from ship to ship.

4 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

...we have asked our Genie for things that we know others have done on other ships (ex. reserve cabanas on the suite sun deck, reserve seats for parades or at the rising tide bar) and the answer is no, it cannot be done on Harmony.  

Once you posted his name in that other thread I Venmo'd him her $50 to say no.  

Oh BTW...on that most recent request - I don't think so, but that's costing me another $50.

• 2 weeks later...

5th Oasis Class: Wonder of the Seas

6th Oasis Class: Spectacle of the Seas

7th Oasis Class: Phenom of the Seas(if there is a seventh)

or they may just recycle former names of past ships or ships currently being considered for retirement/sale from fleet...example:

5th Oasis Class: Empress of the Seas

6th Oasis Class: Majesty of the Seas

The same could be considered for the new Icon Class using names from the Vision Class if they slowly retire/sale those ship from the fleet.

Just an idea....

On 2/24/2019 at 4:24 PM, twangster said:

Busiest US Cruise Ports

1. Miami
  2. Port Canaveral
  3. Ft Lauderdale

... part of the reason my wife and I are seriously considering moving further south one day... also love Disney and all of the beaches... save the cost of airfare! LOL!

At least for now, Southwest and Frontier fly direct to Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale out of my backyard (Islip/MacArthur Airport)... no need to drive into NYC to JFK or Laguardia! ?