Liberty OTS Tital Wave Golf Ball?

stevendom57

Yea, on any ship where ever you see a golf ball you can pretty much assume there is some form of satellite dish inside.  The actual golf ball simply serves as a weather protection.  You will see these things on a lot of military bases and elsewhere (there are two right behind my office)

Yep.  The extra paint to make it look like a golf ball is just cosmetic.  Inside is a satellite dish on a mechanism that allows the dish to move freely and track a particular satellite as the ship moves in 3 dimensional space on the surface of the ocean.  

I used to have a similar 'tracking' dish on my motorhome so the kids could watch cartoons over satellite TV as we drove down the interstate.  My dish cost a heck of lot less than these ship tracking antennas.  

Just now, twangster said:

The extra paint to make it look like a golf ball is just cosmetic.

Interesting. I was wondering if it was painted to look like a golf ball for safety / awareness reasons, like to make sure any approaching med-evac helicopters have a clear sense of where the things are located / sized as they approach, instead of just seeing a plain white disc with no clear contours.