Buying a drink for someone else (I have bev package)

dandi799

Thank you so much for the wealth of information here!! My parents are taking my family and my brother's family on a cruise next summer, and we are beyond excited and grateful. They are insisting on paying for everything and also insistent that we (my brother and myself and our spouses) get the deluxe beverage package. My parents don't drink much (my mom will get by with the bottles of wine that we will bring), but my dad will likely have several beers a day. Is there a way for my brother and I to purchase these for him? He will fight with us about it, so I want to do it on the sly (or letting him believe that we just got them for him for free), but I'm not sure how to make it happen. If I have the beverage package, can I also purchase a beer in addition to my own order? I'm not trying to cheat or steal or anything like that, but I don't know if my credit card will be attached to my sea pass card (since my dad's name is on everything). He only drinks beer, and I don't see that as an option for being delivered to the room prior to boarding. Any advice? Thank you!! 

If you have the package, you can still buy drinks for other people but you pay full price for them.  And make sure your server knows that's your intention and you're not trying to give away your drinks--that's against the rules.  It'll get charged to your folio, and ultimately whatever credit card is linked to that.  You can sub in your own card when you do the check in documents online or at the port before departure, but that might mess up your parents' plans for paying for everything since the room gratuities will also get charged to that card unless they've been paid in advance.

You might also be able to pay off just the drink balances at Guest Services, but you'd need to pay them a visit on the ship.

I think they plan to pay for gratuities (and excursions, etc.) in advance, so maybe I will just sub out my own credit card at the beginning. I definitely would not want the bartender to think I'm being shady, so that is helpful. Also, would not mind just taking a trip to Guest Services. 

Any chance I could buy him a "bucket of beer" or whatever they are so that he could take them to his room? Sorry, I'm so new to all of this! The last thing I want him to be doing is pinching pennies for himself when he's splurging for the rest of us! 

18 minutes ago, dandi799 said:

Any chance I could buy him a "bucket of beer" or whatever they are so that he could take them to his room? 

Some ships do offer 5 for the price of 4 beer specials but not always on the first few days.  Never hurts to ask a bartender if you don't see it advertised.  

The only time I ever tried, it was a spectacle.  I had the drink package and was having a few drinks in the pub on Brilliance. My friend had taken his gf to propose to her on the ship. When they got back, I wanted to get them two glasses of champagne to celebrate. I had to argue with the bar tender to "allow" me to charge to my card for these drinks. I don't know if he thought I wanted them for free or I was going to down them myself or what.......

35 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

The only time I ever tried, it was a spectacle.  I had the drink package and was having a few drinks in the pub on Brilliance. My friend had taken his gf to propose to her on the ship. When they got back, I wanted to get them two glasses of champagne to celebrate. I had to argue with the bar tender to "allow" me to charge to my card for these drinks. I don't know if he thought I wanted them for free or I was going to down them myself or what.......

I had a similar experience.  So much for being the nice guy and offering to buy someone a drink.  I very clearly said "I have the drink package but I want to buy this lady a drink and pay for it" to which he replied "NO!  You can't share the drink package!!!".  It went back and forth and finally I looked at another bartender who understood english and he did it for me.  The first bartenders English vocabulary consisted of drinks only.  "Rum and Coke", "Red Wine", "Margarita" were well within his comprehension but all he heard was "me drink package, get drink for lady".

46 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

This is exactly what I'm afraid of! I don't want him to realize that I'm paying for drinks for him, so I really want to be sly about it and not have it be a big scene. I will just try to make fast friends with some of the bartenders. Haha.