Royal Caribbean named winners of 2018 Cruise International Awards

accio7

Congratulations to Royal Caribbean who were named winners in two categories of Cruise International's 2018 British Cruise Awards! 

• Best Family Cruise Line
  • Best Cruise Line for Millennials

The cruise line also received commendations for the following:

• Best for New to Cruise
  • Best for Onboard Entertainment
  • Best for Innovation

The full list of winners can be found here.

@Joe01, I saw in that list that Southampton won for best UK cruise port. Might help sway some of your friends?

Can someone explain what "Best for Wellbeing" is supposed to mean? HAL won that one, and that's a line I'm considering for a future Norway / Iceland cruise. They're pricey, but hey! My wellbeing doesn't come cheap! ???

10 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Princess Cruises beat out Royal Caribbean for best cruise line??? WOW!!

I’m not actually surprised. I plan to cruise more on Princess and Celebrity once the kids are older and/or gone. Don’t get me wrong I like Royal very much. Great for families. But there is something to be said for a premium experience. If you read magazines like Travel and Leisure or Condé Nast Traveler, Princess usually beats Royal Carribean. It’s doesnt have the Wow factor though that’s for sure. Very traditional. 

13 hours ago, Oliver said:

I’m not actually surprised. I plan to cruise more on Princess and Celebrity once the kids are older and/or gone. Don’t get me wrong I like Royal very much. Great for families. But there is something to be said for a premium experience. If you read magazines like Travel and Leisure or Condé Nast Traveler, Princess usually beats Royal Carribean. It’s doesnt have the Wow factor though that’s for sure. Very traditional. 

I agree 100% with you. Like Holland America, Celebrity, Disney, Princess is considered to be a premium cruise line offering a step-up in accommodation, dining, etc. from Royal Caribbean. I can't afford any of those cruise lines I mentioned, but, from what I've been told from friends and family, the additional cost is worth it. My mother and her friend enjoyed their experience aboard Regal Princess back in January so much that they booked a cruise on one of her sister ships, Royal Princess, for January 2019. 

On a personal note, being in my very early 40s, I feel as if I am still 10 years away from sailing with HAL, Celebrity, Princess etc. as their demographics tend to be older than the mass-market cruise lines (i.e. Royal, Carnival, NCL). 

21 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Can someone explain what "Best for Wellbeing" is supposed to mean? HAL won that one, and that's a line I'm considering for a future Norway / Iceland cruise. They're pricey, but hey! My wellbeing doesn't come cheap! ???

Well being refers to the facilities, services offered by the spa and fitness centre onboard.

Just now, jurrjurr said:

From what I have read, they introduced the chocolate buffet in 2015.

Aaaahhhh...that explains it. My last cruise on Princess was in 2015. Very bad experience. Not even an apology and I've been Elite with them for years. They keep calling to find out why I haven't sailed with them since 2015. Ummmm....read the email that I sent to several individuals there....duh!!!! Never looked back!!  ?

18 minutes ago, accio7 said:

On a personal note, being in my very early 40s, I feel as if I am still 10 years away from sailing with HAL, Celebrity, Princess etc. as their demographics tend to be older than the mass-market cruise lines (i.e. Royal, Carnival, NCL).

You should look at the most recent thread on the Celebrity & Azamara board, where we had a bit of a discussion about the age demographic. At least on X, based on the comments from several on that thread, we'll find plenty of people in our age bracket (I'm in my late-40s, will be 50 at the start of 2020). The real difference is lack of young kids and teens on X and those other premium lines.