Travel insurance, travel agent and yolo book it allure!

I am recovering from our brief but abruptly ended recent trip to Paris.  We were supposed to stay in Paris 11 days and then board a Viking River Cruise of the Seine.  To make a long story short, we had been in Paris 5 amazing days when we got a call from home with an emergency involving our 15 year old daughter.  While I won't get into details, we had to get home immediately.  I placed a call to Sharla at MEI and she did everything... Changed our tickets, notified Viking, re-sent our invoice and Allianz policy number and gave us piece of mind.  If you have ever doubted the necessity of buying travel insurance or the usefulness of an agent...DON'T!!!!!  While I am still waiting on the claim to be processed, I'm hopeful we will get closer to $10,000 back on our dream vacation that now we might be able to do again in the future.

Feeling a bit sad and glum, my fifteen year old and I decided to look at spring break cruises to surprise my husband with.  Sharla looked up 3 cruises for us with nary a complaint, put holds on them while we waffled, and booked us on Allure of the seas for next march.  Of the Oasis class, I was the least interested in this one, but the price was equal to Oasis and my daughter liked the ports better.  I'm excited to finally go to labadee and she is thrilled to go to San Juan, even if the port hours aren't great.  The cost was significantly more than liberty out of Galveston when you consider plane tickets to Miami but travel cancelled induced yolo is real and we are excited!

The only thing that will change this is if my college sophomore studies abroad in Germany next winter/spring.  If so we will try Europe again and I will have to wait to see royal until our vision of the seas med/Greek isles trip in July!!!

BUY THE INSURANCE!  USE THE AGENT!  ENJOY THE PEACE OF MIND!!  Jane

The unexpected happens and I'm so glad your daughter is ok.  Trip insurance really helps with my peace of mind but I've never needed to use it.    Did you buy it on your own or through the TA?  I've been buying it on my own through my insurance company.  Was it easy to submit a claim?  Let us know if there were any problems with the insurance please!

2 hours ago, melski94 said:

The unexpected happens and I'm so glad your daughter is ok.  Trip insurance really helps with my peace of mind but I've never needed to use it.    Did you buy it on your own or through the TA?  I've been buying it on my own through my insurance company.  Was it easy to submit a claim?  Let us know if there were any problems with the insurance please!

I bought Allianz through the travel agent.  There were different levels you can get... Cancel for any reason is more expensive than the medical cancellation, etc.  The process was mostly easy but it's hard to know which reason you are filing under.  That means I may have filled under the wing reason and might have to resubmit.  You have to send documentation, but since I don't have a scanner I just took pictures and attached them in.  Hopefully that will work!  I will keep you all posted!  Jane