Royal Caribbean Blog

Coffee Cards- wait till ship?

• 11 months later...
14 hours ago, Neat said:

I know it's a coffee card but does anyone know if you can purchase chai latte & hot chocolate with this card?

My wife had a chai latte on one ship (I bought it with the punch card), but we didn't see it offered in Cafe Promenade on the Harmony -- it was plainly omitted from the posted menu.  That said, we didn't ask the barista.  My point is that it might depend upon the ship.

16 hours ago, Neat said:

I know it's a coffee card but does anyone know if you can purchase chai latte & hot chocolate with this card?

I'm pretty sure if it's on the menu, excluding any that contain liquor are included. Just be advised that larger sizes or extra shots will require additional punches.

The secret is to make friends with your barista. A good tip with your first purchase always helps.

I have bought 2 coffee cards and never had an issue. I have bought all sized drinks and only had one punch for each purchase. It depends on your barista. When we were on Oasis, which has a Starbucks, I used my card there multiple times a day...no problem.  I did learn you cannot use your Starbucks app unfortunately, so you can’t earn stars with onboard purchases.  😒

The coffee cards are also transferable between ships. I had one with 4 punches left and saved it and brought it on my next cruise 8 months later and used it no problem. I haven’t seen them go on sale in the cruise planner, but I did the math if I purchased my 2 or 3....ok 4 coffees a day and the coffee card came out as a better deal.

On 7/26/2018 at 8:44 AM, Dolores said:

I've been researching the coffee card for our upcoming trip on Freedom of the Seas ... the tiny print (i.e. Additional Conditions apply) on the Cruise Planner says the card CANNOT be used at Starbucks (darn - I'm a Starbucks junkie).  So exactly where IS the card used?  Are the specialty coffees offered on board better than Starbucks?

If my understanding is correct. There is not a free-standing Starbucks on Freedom. So i believe it can be used at Cafe Promenade which I think uses starbucks coffee. I could be confused. I just know I went with the Deluxe drink package so I wouldn't have to worry. 🙂

4 hours ago, pezgirl said:

If my understanding is correct. There is not a free-standing Starbucks on Freedom. So i believe it can be used at Cafe Promenade which I think uses Starbucks coffee.

@pezgirl is correct that there is no free-standing Starbucks kiosk on Freedom, so you'll be buying all coffee from Cafe Promenade on deck 5 forward. Will note that at least when I sailed Freedom in April 2018, the coffee used was Illy rather than Starbucks brand. I found it perfectly fine and actually better-tasting than the typical Starbucks medium roast (which I find to be over-roasted and burned-tasting, but when there's no full Starbucks on board you can forget about finding blonde roast options).

On 7/19/2019 at 5:40 PM, JLMoran said:

@pezgirl is correct that there is no free-standing Starbucks kiosk on Freedom, so you'll be buying all coffee from Cafe Promenade on deck 5 forward. Will note that at least when I sailed Freedom in April 2018, the coffee used was Illy rather than Starbucks brand. I found it perfectly fine and actually better-tasting than the typical Starbucks medium roast (which I find to be over-roasted and burned-tasting, but when there's no full Starbucks on board you can forget about finding blonde roast options).

I prefer Illy to Starbucks as well.  I am just hoping that there will be iced chai lattes (which I think there are).  I never treat myself to one so with my deluxe package that will be a daily treat. Only one more week. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jayde43 said:

Hi all 🙂

Does anyone know how much the cost of a cappuccino with almond milk is?   Trying to work out if it is worth it buy the card or just buy a coffee each day?  Thanks in advance 🙂 

From searching the menus the highest price I'm seeing (for the large sizes) is in the $4.50 range.  The smalls are $3.00-$3.50ish  They charge $1 extra for soy milk and I'm not seeing the almond milk offering listed on the menu.  Doesn't mean that they don't have it, but they may or may not on your particular ship.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi @Riannan, welcome to the forums!

The included coffee is definitely not dark roast or strong. It’s at best “meh”, and very bitter within minutes of being poured and starting to cool. It can be OK if you drink it fast as soon as it’s poured, but if you want something to carry around the ship and sip for an hour or two, then I would strongly recommend the coffee card.

4 minutes ago, ellcee said:

To me the included coffee quality is debatable. I HATED it on Adventure but it was good on Harmony and Anthem. I had already had a drink package and happen to enjoy my specialty coffees on the ship so I didn't drink a lot of it but had it almost every night in the MDR.

Maybe it's not the coffee, but the coffee "maker." Coffee starts to break down after about an hour, so if it's made and just sits around, that's no good. I don't know how my folks drank their coffee all those years, brewing a big pot in the Pyrex brewer, on the stove top and preceded to reheat it for a couple of days until it was gone! 🤢

Maybe that's all they knew?

25 minutes ago, FManke said:

Maybe it's not the coffee, but the coffee "maker." Coffee starts to break down after about an hour, so if it's made and just sits around, that's no good. I don't know how my folks drank their coffee all those years, brewing a big pot in the Pyrex brewer, on the stove top and preceded to reheat it for a couple of days until it was gone! 🤢

Maybe that's all they knew?

At home, we have a Cuisinart coffee maker that grinds the beans just before brewing. There is no warming element, only a water heater. This helps with keeping the coffee from going bitter. We also use espresso beans. If we have left over coffee, I put it in the refrigerator for later and have an iced coffee or two. My frugality and coffee addiction both satisfied! 

On 7/26/2018 at 8:44 AM, Dolores said:

I've been researching the coffee card for our upcoming trip on Freedom of the Seas ... the tiny print (i.e. Additional Conditions apply) on the Cruise Planner says the card CANNOT be used at Starbucks (darn - I'm a Starbucks junkie).  So exactly where IS the card used?  Are the specialty coffees offered on board better than Starbucks?

Oasis class ships (someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I have not been on any) have free standing Starbucks, and none of the beverage packages (DBP/Refreshment package) will work there.  From the terms & conditions: Specialty Coffees do not include any beverages served inside licensed Starbucks® stores/cafes

The other ships have "for sale" Cafes that have specialty coffee drinks that use Starbucks brand coffee -- and the packages are good there. If the coffee card is like the other packages, then it will be good on ships that DO NOT have a freestanding Starbucks.  I believe, if there is an actual Starbucks on the ship, you can use Starbucks gift cards, but again, I'm not positive about that

22 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

Oasis class ships (someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I have not been on any) have free standing Starbucks, and none of the beverage packages (DBP/Refreshment package) will work there.  From the terms & conditions: Specialty Coffees do not include any beverages served inside licensed Starbucks® stores/cafes

The other ships have "for sale" Cafes that have specialty coffee drinks that use Starbucks brand coffee -- and the packages are good there. If the coffee card is like the other packages, then it will be good on ships that DO NOT have a freestanding Starbucks.  I believe, if there is an actual Starbucks on the ship, you can use Starbucks gift cards, but again, I'm not positive about that

Correct