Delayed Departure?

Just notified that our 10/29 sailing on Majesty won’t depart until 8pm instead of 4 and we can’t board until 4:30.  This cuts that first day really short!  Any experience out there with this?  Can we really not board til that late?  They cite system maintainence as the cause and are comping us a whopping $20 each for the loss of 4-5 hours.

We know you’re excited for your upcoming October 29th, 2018, Majesty of the Seas cruise. Before you know it, you’ll be on your way to meet the ship, and as you get ready for your vacation, we wanted to share a quick update with you.

While Majesty of the Seas is docked in Tampa, Florida, we will be conducting necessary system maintenance, which must take place before guest’s board. Because of this, we must delay your check- in and subsequently the ship’s departure time. Fortunately, this will not affect your scheduled cruise itinerary!

Majesty will depart Tampa at 8:00 PM and check-in will now take place between 4:30 PM and 7:00 PM. As a friendly reminder, all guest must be checked in no later than 60 minutes prior to sail time.

Don't feel too bad about a 4 hour delay. Our 9-night Grandeur cruise was delayed two days back in January for a rudder issue.

We lost our port day in Charleston, SC as a result. Don't get too discouraged. Once you walk onto the ship for the first time, "vacation mode" click on in your brain and all will be well!

15 hours ago, Pooch said:

I’m beginning to think this trip is cursed.  Nothing earthshaking but lots of little issues keep cropping up. Definitely losing my enthusiasm. 

Don't let this kind of a maintenance issue get to you.  It's certainly better than finding out during the sailing.  You'll still have a great time!

And this is prob a short cruise correct? So really the first day is pretty much lost in all honesty. By the time you get on the ship and into rooms, muster drill and eat ur done for the day.

I would be upset by this as well. I enjoy being on the ship at 11am normally.....feels like a full day that way. Plus drinks in the sun. If your getting a drink package...then the first day is a waste for sure.

I wouldn't be happy at all..$20 doesn't cut it. For something this far out, they should have been able to plan better in advance.

So I'm guessing complaining to RCCL will not change the embarkation or departure time.  BUT, perhaps an argument for better compensation could be made?  I agree that cutting the first day on a 5 day cruise by that much really negates the value of the drink package for that day.  Do you think I'd be out of line asking to have the package dropped from 5 days to 4?  Or more OBC?

1 minute ago, Pooch said:

So I'm guessing complaining to RCCL will not change the embarkation or departure time.  BUT, perhaps an argument for better compensation could be made?  I agree that cutting the first day on a 5 day cruise by that much really negates the value of the drink package for that day.  Do you think I'd be out of line asking to have the package dropped from 5 days to 4?  Or more OBC?

Never hurts to ask. 

9 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I think you have a valid argument here, I doubt you win but I would go down swinging.

On the bright side I wonder if this may be related to upgrading the ships hotel/billing/portfolio system to make it compatible with all the new tech features they have promised for the fleet such as mobile check in.

That's got to be a complex and huge undertaking to modernize each ship's software and servers to a common platform and version capable of moving forward with new tech.

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

On the bright side I wonder if this may be related to upgrading the ships hotel/billing/portfolio system to make it compatible with all the new tech features they have promised for the fleet such as mobile check in.

That's got to be a complex and huge undertaking to modernize each ship's software and servers to a common platform and version capable of moving forward with new tech.

That's a great point. Had not considered it that, especially when you think why would they schedule a maintenance fix 6 months in advance?