Excursions George Town and Falmouth

andylanders

We loved Hilton Rose Hotel day pass in Falmouth!

Thanks Matt!  

BTW, this is the first cruise we are going on where we are getting airfare.  We will be cruising to from Fort Lauderdale.  What time should I be looking for return flights back home?  They have a 1, 2:15, and 3:45 afternoon flight.  Any recommendations?

BTW, this is the first cruise we are going on where we are getting airfare.  We will be cruising to from Fort Lauderdale.  What time should I be looking for return flights back home?  They have a 1, 2:15, and 3:45 afternoon flight.  Any recommendations?

Any of those times is fine.  It also depends what you want to do.  If you just want to go home after the cruise, 1pm would be best.  I don't know about you, but I hate sitting around airports.  But if you want to sight see or shop or enjoy the beach, then obviously a later flight will be best.

Also keep in mind in Florida that come summer time, thunderstorms routinely pop up in the afternoon and that can lead to delays at the airport.  Late afternoon flights in summer are the most susceptible to these sort of issues so plan accordingly.

We did Stingray City on our first cruise when my daughter was 7, She refused to get in the water.

My personal feeling about flights back is the earlier the better.  Especially from FLL whereit is a quick trip to the airport.  Also if you are on the Oasis or Allure you can get off the ship pretty early if necessary.

• 2 months later...

Think our son was about 6 the first time we did the stingrays, he got in the water and basically climbed up on top of my head once he realized what else was in the water.

He loved it and wanted to do it again though !

Second time around was a couple of years later and he was fine in the water with them swimming up on him.

It depends a bit on the tide level as well, waist deep is ok, neck deep is a little trickier :)

My wife was "bitten" by one of the sting rays. I don't believe they have teeth per se, but her finger was sucked in quite hard, and she said it really hurt. Was swollen and bleeding afterwards. They show you how to feed them but she didn't do it exactly right and paid the price. I have pics as evidence, and she'll never live that down LOL

In Falmouth them@jamaicaculinary / @jamaicafoodtour is the ticket. Get off the tourist track and discovery the real Jamaica under the watxhful eye of fantastic guides. Two tours, one walking tour in Falmouth all within a short distance of the terminal. 2nd goes deeper along the coast toward Ocho Rios with several food tasting stops along the way - highlight is either Ocean Side Reatruant on Discovery Bay chicken & pork jerk or Woolery Kitchen up the mountain side from Run Away Bay - great acke & salt fish with an incredible view of the Bay. The rum punch is the best in the Caribnean. The tour hosta Janet & Anne Crick will take great care of you and you will have new friends for future visits.

• 2 months later...

Wow the Hilton Rose day pass is now up to $117 per person!

Wow, that is a lot.  I paid $75 pp back in 2011.  I'm not sure I could justify that price.  Then again, it was the best all-inclusive resort I've been to.

• 2 weeks later...

Stingray City was one of the coolest things I've ever done in the Caribbean.  The stingrays are tame and come right up to you.  As I recall, they mostly had their stingers removed (and this was before Steve Irwin's death so I assume they are all removed now).  Their noses are as soft as velvet.  My son was about 12 and he absolutely loved it and still talks about it 20 years later.  You stand on a sand bar so you don't have to worry about swimming (and you are super buoyant  in salt water anyway), although life jackets are provided if you want one.   We took a catamaran out.  A helper on our boat dove for conch, cut it up, marinated it and served us fresh ceviche on board.  It was fabulous.

We actually stayed in the Caymans so I don't know if the ship offers an excursion to Hell.  It's on Grand Cayman.  It is super interesting with bubbling sulfur pools and steam coming out of black limestone fissures.  Kids love it.  But I like geographical sites so I may be in the minority.   It is rough walking and a little campy (send a postcard from Hell) but I liked it.

If you are a scuba fan, the Caymans are pretty much the best place anywhere to scuba or snorkel.  The water is crystal clear and there is an abundance of marine life and coral.

Yes, you can take an excursion from the ship to Hell. We did it a couple of years back. It went to the turtle farm as well which I also thoroughly enjoyed. I spent a week SCUBA diving on Grand Cayman back in the early 80's....wow has it changed ! Of course, one thing that did NOT change are the prices ! It was expensive then and it's still expensive !

Unless I am mistaken (entirely possible) I don't think the stingrays actually do have their barbs removed. I think these are just so "tame" that they are there to eat and are completely docile. I know that the stingrays in Cozumel at the stingray farm are de-barbed (not sure that's a real word) b/c they are isolated from "the wild" by a net but I think the ones at GC still have their barbs. How would you possibly de-barb a bajillion stingrays that are completely accessible to the open water ?

Good point!  But I think pretty much the same stingrays come to Stingray City because they know they are getting fed and have been conditioned to come up to people.  Of course another one from the area could sneak in too, just to check it out!  So yes, there could be barbs. I kinda think RC wouldn't do anything risky though.  I remember checking for barbs and didn't see any.  But stingrays lose their barbs often so it could have been a coincidence.

Unless I am mistaken (entirely possible) I don't think the stingrays actually do have their barbs removed. I think these are just so "tame" that they are there to eat and are completely docile. I know that the stingrays in Cozumel at the stingray farm are de-barbed (not sure that's a real word) b/c they are isolated from "the wild" by a net but I think the ones at GC still have their barbs. How would you possibly de-barb a bajillion stingrays that are completely accessible to the open water ?

You are correct, WaayTooo.  The stingrays all have their barbs intact.  They're "wild" stingrays that are very docile because of their frequent contact with people.  If you're not careful, you can get "stung," so they caution you to shuffle your feet on the sandbar to ensure that you don't step on one as they only sting when threatened or hurt.  One thing they no longer allow is for visitors to feed the rays and they were being fed too much and their health was deteriorating.

Really ?? Wow, that is very new (no longer being allowed to feed them). We were there in May 2014 on the Navigator and we were allowed to feed them. Very interesting.

This was as of January 2013 when we were there and I doubt that anything has changed.  The boat captains and staff are allowed to feed them, but not the visitors.  They were simply receiving too much food supposedly.

Apparently they aren't following those rules very closely since I was there in May 2014 and we all fed them LOADS of squid. I can certainly understand that they are overfed...no doubt about that. I guess it's going to be up to the individual excursion operators as to whether they abide by whatever "rule" was made NOT to feed them.

In Falmouth them@jamaicaculinary / @jamaicafoodtour is the ticket. Get off the tourist track and discovery the real Jamaica under the watxhful eye of fantastic guides...

Thanks for this great tip Don! I think I found the website here:

http://jamaicaculinarytours.com/tours/view/falmouth_food_tour_868291713#.VZ3UlUo8KrU

It's highly rated on Trip Advisor and will be a perfect tour for my wife and I on the inaugural sailing of Liberty of the Seas from Galveston in November. That's what these message boards are all about!

UPDATE: We did this tour in November 2015 and loved it! Our two guides were very knowledgeable in the food and history of Jamaica. We felt very comfortable strolling through Falmouth with our local guides. This is a great option that is affordable and very organized. They have a booth right at the port, so it is very convenient.

Edited by Steve

Thanks for this great tip Don! I think I found the website here:

http://jamaicaculinarytours.com/tours/view/falmouth_food_tour_868291713#.VZ3UlUo8KrU

It's highly rated on Trip Advisor and will be a perfect tour for my wife and I on the inaugural sailing of Liberty of the Seas from Galveston in November. That's what these message boards are all about!

Looks like a great tour and the price seems reasonable.  I'd definitely do this.

This excursion sounds like a whole lot of fun and I would love to do it. I spent 3 weeks in Jamaica once, roaming all over the island in a rental car, on dirt back roads and in teeny villages where no tourists go. The locals are so nice and friendly and love to talk about their interesting culture and beautiful island. The food is super. The water is such a gorgeous shade of turquoise. Sometimes the vendors can get a little annoying in the port cities but it sounds like this tour helps corral that. I'm jealous. Let us know about this if you do it.