Sushi Making Class - Shellfish?

NS8VN

So Matt's review of the sushi making class got me very interested in booking it, but one of my friends is allergic to shellfish.  Does anybody know if they ever use shellfish in the sushi or, if they do, whether substitutions are easy to make?  Luckily it isn't a situation where he can't be in the same room as the allergen, only his own sushi would need to be free of shellfish.

If anyone can share their experience or knowledge I greatly appreciate it.

Complete side-note, I never knew this was something that could develop seemingly out of nowhere.  Apparently as a child he would devour peel and eat shrimp very regularly.  Then one day he got very sick after eating some and testing confirmed he was allergic.

This is out of the article on the main blog page:

" The sushi class is offered on most Royal Caribbean ships, but I had resisted trying it primarily because I do not eat shellfish and I knew many of the rolls made used shellfish.  While dining at Izumi on Brilliance of the Seas, my waiter informed me the chef could adjust my offering for something I could eat, so I decided to give it a try. "

So it sounds like they can adjust the content to meet your friends needs if you let them know in advance.

46 minutes ago, NS8VN said:

Complete side-note, I never knew this was something that could develop seemingly out of nowhere.  Apparently as a child he would devour peel and eat shrimp very regularly.  Then one day he got very sick after eating some and testing confirmed he was allergic.

Yeeeep. Can confirm. My brother was highly allergic to shellfish, fish, eggs, and nuts/peanuts growing up. 

They can randomly go away, too. My brother actually grew out of his egg allergy, but as he got older his other allergies got worse. He once got sent to the emergency room when he kissed his girlfriend after she went to a fish fry. No joke!

3 hours ago, tiny260 said:

This is out of the article on the main blog page:

" The sushi class is offered on most Royal Caribbean ships, but I had resisted trying it primarily because I do not eat shellfish and I knew many of the rolls made used shellfish.  While dining at Izumi on Brilliance of the Seas, my waiter informed me the chef could adjust my offering for something I could eat, so I decided to give it a try. "

So it sounds like they can adjust the content to meet your friends needs if you let them know in advance.

Ever have those moments where the answer to your question was staring you in the face, but someone else has to point it out?  This was mine for today :8_laughing:

Thanks everyone.  We will be giving this one a try then, sounds like fun.

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have heard (perhaps an old wives' tale) that allergy cycles are approximately 7 years in duration and that something you have eaten all of your life can become something to which you are allergic, later in life....vice versa.  From accounts, I think it might be at least reasonably possible....

Not sure if it's 7 years but a good friend of mine became allergic to shellfish after growing up eating it...after a whole bunch of tests recently, tests involving skin, blood and actual eating tests she can eat what seems to be all except for shrimp.

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2018 at 4:44 PM, KLAconQueso said:

Yeeeep. Can confirm. My brother was highly allergic to shellfish, fish, eggs, and nuts/peanuts growing up. 

They can randomly go away, too. My brother actually grew out of his egg allergy, but as he got older his other allergies got worse. He once got sent to the emergency room when he kissed his girlfriend after she went to a fish fry. No joke!

I find it hard enough with nuts (I can luckily have peanuts still) but all the others would make it hard to eat anything on a cruise. Meat and veggies would be most of his diet I guess. 

Also, my wife tends to forget when she ate something risky and I have been to the hospital multiple times from kissing her. It sucks but you get used to it.