What to do with your wallet?

bigaznn

What do you normally do with your wallet?  Do you leave it in the room in the safe or do you take it with you on excursions?  We are already taking our passports with us so is it overkill to take both?  I tend to lean towards the less is better crowd.  What is your opinion?

5 minutes ago, bigaznn said:

What do you normally do with your wallet?  Do you leave it in the room in the safe or do you take it with you on excursions?  We are already taking our passports with us so is it overkill to take both?  I tend to lean towards the less is better crowd.  What is your opinion?

I will take what I need to get back on the ship, and cash or credit cards for any shore purchases. I would also bring a cruise compass, as it has the ship phone number on it. I remember noticing the wallet lump against my butt after the cruise, from not carrying it for so many days.

20 minutes ago, bigaznn said:

Everything is locked in the safe unless you need it. That includes passports. If we're getting off the ship, we take just enough cash we might need and a piece of gov't photo ID other than our passports. Credit card only in the case we foresee needing it to buy something.

We wear no jewelry either on excursions. That includes watches other than our recreation watches already covered in sand and sea salt.

1 hour ago, Gears said:

We wear no jewelry either on excursions. That includes watches other than our recreation watches already covered in sand and sea salt.

What do you do with your things if for instance both of you are snorkeling? Or just go one at a time? I've had stuff stolen on a local beach here I imagine it's tempting elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

What do you do with your things if for instance both of you are snorkeling? Or just go one at a time? I've had stuff stolen on a local beach here I imagine it's tempting elsewhere.

Basically...cards and cash go snorkeling too.

Here's a beach trick...bring some sort of container, put your stuff in it and bury it in the sand. Of course, you have to be able to find it again, but thieves are quick to strike and will rifle through your stuff quickly...they won't go digging in the sand. 

23 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Like @Gears we also bring the bare minimum.  We only bring passports if it's necessary at a port.  We take a look at what we are doing and bring the minimum amount of cash needed.  So even if it does get stolen, it's not the end of the world.  Then we bring a credit card and seapass cards but this is usually stored on us.  So if it's not a water excursion, then in a zippered pocket in my shorts or hubby's shorts.  And if it is a water excursion then all in the zippered pocket of hubby's swim trunks.  I have zero suggestions for snorkeling.

And we also wear zero jewellery.

If at a beach club, then I will rent a locker and put stuff in there. However if you look at amazon there are lockable tote bags where you can lock a bag to a beach chair. I haven't tried one yet so can't recommend but they do look like a good option. I typically don't take passports with us but do have a picture of them on my phone and I'll keep minimal cash and put everything else in the locker. If snorkeling at an excursion, I don't worry about it. The tour operators have much more to lose than the minimal cash they could get out of my bag.

4 hours ago, Gears said:

Everything is locked in the safe unless you need it. That includes passports. If we're getting off the ship, we take just enough cash we might need and a piece of gov't photo ID other than our passports. Credit card only in the case we foresee needing it to buy something.

This is my first cruise so please excuse my ignorance.  Aren't you supposed to take your passport when you get off the ship?

26 minutes ago, bigaznn said:

This is my first cruise so please excuse my ignorance.  Aren't you supposed to take your passport when you get off the ship?

You don't need it at every port. Pay attention to the cruise compass (that's the thing that gets delivered to your stateroom each night). The cruise compass will tell you if a port requires a passport or not. That's what we do anyway. Once, in Nassau, 2 years ago, we forgot our passport in the safe. Well, we still got back on the ship but had to go to a separate area and they had check the ship manifest with our sea pass cards etc. They did not look very impressed with us but we still got back on ☺️ Not saying you should try that though on your first cruise ?

47 minutes ago, bigaznn said:

That will depend on your port of call. We haven't been to a port of call that specifically required passports, just some form of gov't photo ID (driver's licence in our case). I lie...I recall needing it in Key West at one point...but that is because we are non-US citizens.

But as @Sabrinaklaisaid...check the Cruise Compass.

3 hours ago, bigaznn said:

I was looking at a past cruise compass and at one port it asks for a picture id or proof on citizenship.  So in that situation I would only need a drivers license?

Yes, a US driver's license is fine for a picture ID. 

Proof of citizenship may be a different issue.  Where is your cruise destination?  Europe may be different than Caribbean.  Australia different than Alaska, etc. 

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Yes, a US driver's license is fine for a picture ID. 

Proof of citizenship may be a different issue.  Where is your cruise destination?  Europe may be different than Caribbean.  Australia different than Alaska, etc. 

We are going to the Caribbean on Liberty of the Seas.

If you're worried about snorkeling and prefer to take your items with you, you can use waterproof bags. I swim regularly and use these these  for my asthma inhaler - works like a spell, up to now it's completely waterproof. Should be big enough for some money and/or a phone and/or ID.

i leave my wallet HOME.  I have a leather passport folder that has slots for cards.  All I bring is credit & debit cards, and my license.  THATS IT.  Of course I guard this folder with my life for the entire trip.  But I see no need to bring store cards, concealed carry license, membership cards, time card from work, etc.  But hey, thats me.