Coastal Kitchen

mworkman

I've notices quite a bit of talk on CC that if your in a Jr. Suite, reservations can be hard to get at Coastal Kitchen with some stating they were turned away.  If this is a perk for sales benefit of purchasing Jr. Suites cabins, along with double points why would RCI continue to offer it as a perk?  Has anyone experienced this yet?

I was able to make reservations online with CK for my upcoming Anthem cruise.  Did that a few months ago.  We are currently booked in a Family Junior Suite.  On Harmony, we had a GS, and could not make reservations until a week before sailing.  We did it when the concierge emailed us. The only thing I can think of is that the JS card does not get you access to the suite lounge and CK area so someone would have to open the door for you.  Maybe that's one people on CC mean?  Not sure how it works on Anthem because CK is on it's own and not attached to the Suite Lounge.

It was mentioned that the JS cards don't work, however the topic was reservations couldn't be made prior and during sailing along with RCI staff treating JS guests as second class citizens pointing them out and bypassing them to serve guest in full suites...I find that interesting..don't know how true it is, as some people tend to exaggerate stories and make a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm not saying this is the case as i've never been on a ship that has CK yet.

First thought is, "It's cruise critic, home of the ever-love-to-complain crowd." Will have to see what the reality is when my Anthem sailing in October gets closer and then when I'm on board. I'm in a J4 for that trip and dining in CK every night was one of the things I was looking forward to surprising my wife with, besides the room itself (she still thinks we're in a regular balcony).

I was thinking of bumping up to a JS for the Allure in Feb as we are in a D5, Now i don't know if it will be worth it? Were in JS's for the rest of our scheduled cruises, although there isn't a CK in Serenade OTS or Navigator OTS, But Anthem OTS and Symphony OTS are on the list of booked cruises.

Well, I'm headed on Anthem in 80 something days so I'll keep you posted on what it's like with the silver sea pass card.  

If the price difference is not much then I would say go for it.  Double cruise points plus the CK in Allure has amazing views.  And the food quality is excellent!  I don't have many issues with MDR either but in CK your food is prepared fresh as you order it because they have their own kitchen up there.  And the flavours are amazing!  

I didn't have any problems getting in to CK when I was in JS on Harmony, but I didn't make the reservations, I asked the Diamond Concierge to make them. I did feel like CK keeps a certain percentage of the restaurant available for the Suite guest.

As far as the Sea Pass card, it didn't work during the day but it worked during the evening.

I think the whole SeaPass card not working on Oasis class is the primary diver of "2nd class citizen status".  It can't be that hard to code the system to allow JS cards to work at dinner hours but then again IT issues are pretty prevalent with RCI so maybe for them it is a big deal.  

Full suites do benefit from the 'one week before suite concierge' ability to book reservations.  I learned that trick from the suite concierge on Oasis when later in the cruise we couldn't get dinner CK reservations while in a loft suite.  For the 1st few days not many guests found CK so dinner reservations were easy the day of, but by day 4 not so much,  

So I suspect if you combine both for the JS experience and folks end up feeling like 2nd class citizens.  

I've also heard conspiracy theories that Oasis elevators are coded to prioritize deck 17 cabins which I can assure you isn't the case.  When ever people who don't have the full access feel slighted in any way related or not, some assume its a grand conspiracy against them.

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked my Cruise Planner for my October Anthem sailing. All specialty dining is already available to make reservations, but there is no option (yet) to make a reservation in Coastal Kitchen, even though my reservation does show I'm booked in JS room 7238. I tried both searching for the CK option in the individual restaurant listings on the Dining page, as well as trying to book using that "Select All Dining" button that @twangster just told us about in another recent thread.

Now, I'm still 9 months away from this sailing; @Sabrinaklai said she made her reservations "a few months ago", which I guess was around four or five months before sailing date. So I'll continue to keep an eye out, but this makes me nervous. I'd like to have those reservations made before we're on board, to keep the surprises coming to my wife throughout that first day.

I think it's a mixed bag about whether or not the JS can make advanced reservations at CK.  I have heard people on Anthem say that they could...but I know that for most of the other ships (maybe all ?), you could not.

Even as a Star Class guest I was not able to make CK reservations in advance on my last Harmony cruise so there's really just no way to tell whether it will be available or not.  I was able (but did not do it) to make CK reservations on my first Star Class cruise on Harmony.   ...so go figure...

9 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I just checked my Cruise Planner for my October Anthem sailing. All specialty dining is already available to make reservations, but there is no option (yet) to make a reservation in Coastal Kitchen, even though my reservation does show I'm booked in JS room 7238. I tried both searching for the CK option in the individual restaurant listings on the Dining page, as well as trying to book using that "Select All Dining" button that @twangster just told us about in another recent thread.

Now, I'm still 9 months away from this sailing; @Sabrinaklai said she made her reservations "a few months ago", which I guess was around four or five months before sailing date. So I'll continue to keep an eye out, but this makes me nervous. I'd like to have those reservations made before we're on board, to keep the surprises coming to my wife throughout that first day.

JS requires on board CK reservations.

On Oasis class in GS or above I could only make advance reservation through the suite concierge a week before sailing.

I was surprised to hear folks saying they could make CK reservation in the cruise planner.  Maybe just an Quantum class thing though.

At any rate, most people in suites don't think about it until on board.  In a JS if you make them on day 1 for the whole cruise I am sure you will be fine.  If you reach day 4 and are trying to make reservations for that night you may run into issues.  

3 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Hey Joe, 

The CK reservation is weird.  Wonky IT maybe?  For Harmony, we were never able to make reservations online.  And I was checking my cruise planner right up until it closed.  We ended up doing it through email with the concierge a week before sailing.  In the end, because of the mess up with all the show times for our sailing, we ended up changing all our times for CK while we were there on embarkation day.

For Anthem, the CK option was there when I initially booked in October.  But at that time I had the 2 connecting balconies so I don't even know why it showed up but it did.  Then a few weeks later when I upgraded to the FJ, the option was gone.  A few weeks later, it popped up again and that's when I made all my reservations for the week.  A few days later it was gone again and has stayed gone.  Over the weekend, I was looking over my calendar for the cruise in 60 days (Yay!!!) and I wanted to modify the time for CK on one night.  Well when I hit "modify", the screen comes up blank.  So I'm not sure what tell you other than keep checking and hope IT goes wonky again and it shows up.  If not, go there your first day and make reservations.

Oh, and I thought of one more thing.  While we were on Harmony, it was Day 5 or 6, we had an short conversation with the 2 crew members who manage the reservations at CK.  We wanted to move our dinner that night to a later time but I told them no worries if we can't since we were doing it the day of (I thought it was last minute).  The one crew member made a comment that there is no problem at all because they never really fill up there.  So I don't think making reservations on board is a big deal even if it doesn't show up on your cruise planner.

And on other boards people even say the CK on Anthem is less busy because it is not connected to the SL and doesn't have the views that the Oasis ones have.  I really don't care personally.  I just want the food! lol

• 4 weeks later...

This is loosely on topic... We are first time RCI cruisers coming from DCL.  We have a JS (J4) booked on the Allure in September.  I have booked a number of DCL cruises and haven't had to deal with figuring out all the show/food/booze options before lol.  

Obviously it's way too early but I'm trying to get prepared and figure some of this out.  For you long time RCI cruisers, I read a catch-22 here and I'd like some advice on how you all handle this situation.  We were planning on taking advantage of the CK for dinner - at least for some nights.   That's actually one of the things that swayed us to the JS based on what we've read about CK.  However, I want to book entertainment before we get on the ship because I understand shows fill up fast and I didn't want to go thru the hassle along with thousands of others doing the same thing on day 1. 

But how can I book entertainment early if I might not be able to book CK reservations until embarkation day?  Would it be reasonable for me to assume (which I hate doing) that reservations would be available to work with our show times?  At what times do most shows start, around the same or scattered?  Thanks in advance for responses.

1 minute ago, HWC said:

This is loosely on topic... We are first time RCI cruisers coming from DCL.  We have a JS (J4) booked on the Allure in September.  I have booked a number of DCL cruises and haven't had to deal with figuring out all the show/food/booze options before lol.  

Obviously it's way too early but I'm trying to get prepared and figure some of this out.  For you long time RCI cruisers, I read a catch-22 here and I'd like some advice on how you all handle this situation.  We were planning on taking advantage of the CK for dinner - at least for some nights.   That's actually one of the things that swayed us to the JS based on what we've read about CK.  However, I want to book entertainment before we get on the ship because I understand shows fill up fast and I didn't want to go thru the hassle along with thousands of others doing the same thing on day 1. 

But how can I book entertainment early if I might not be able to book CK reservations until embarkation day?  Would it be reasonable for me to assume (which I hate doing) that reservations would be available to work with our show times?  At what times do most shows start, around the same or scattered?  Thanks in advance for responses.

CK is fairly easy going with their reservations.  Make your entertainment reservations first.  Then, if the CK option doesn't show up in your cruise planner, just take care of it when you get on board.  We have made changes before the day of and they can always accommodate.  When we have the CK option, we don't even visit the MDR.  It's that good ?

Not sure if it's the same on Allure but the CK serves a nice filet on night #1 on Harmony and it isn't offered again....so if you are into a nice steak I would plan on eating in the CK on night #1 for sure.

You are correct that you will, most likely, not be able to make CK reservations until you get onboard.  My experience, and second hand information from others, say that the further into the week you go, the more difficult it is to get dinner reservations at the CK....  I know this doesn't help your dilemma...

As Sabrina suggests, I would definitely eat around the shows.  I don't know what your dining preferences are, but it has been my experience that eating early (5:30 - 6:00) is the easiest thing to do, regardless of whether you want to eat in the MDR or the CK....or any specialty restaurant, for that matter.  Those early times are 1) apparently less popular and 2) since you are the "first" ones, there has been less opportunity for things to get backed up and they tend to go off, uneventfully.  The hardest times to get are the 6:30 - 7:30 time period AND those times basically interfere most with the shows (at least, the early shows).  I know...it's waaay more complicated than you want for your vacation !

Sometimes it's best just to book what you know you really want and let the rest go to chance.  On my last cruise (Allure over Thanksgiving) we had to eat at Chops at 9PM once which wasn't something I would have chosen but it's all that was available and we had a wonderful meal.

3 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

CK is fairly easy going with their reservations.  Make your entertainment reservations first.  Then, if the CK option doesn't show up in your cruise planner, just take care of it when you get on board.  We have made changes before the day of and they can always accommodate.  When we have the CK option, we don't even visit the MDR.  It's that good

Thank you that's very reassuring.  We are jumping DCL because of some serious price hikes but I will say this, one thing DCL has going for it is that it does make cruise planning a LOT easier.   Don't get me wrong on the surface it certainly appears we're getting a lot more for the same $$ on RC, it's just a bit harder to figure out how.  That's OK, it'll only take once.

4 minutes ago, HWC said:

Thank you that's very reassuring.  We are jumping DCL because of some serious price hikes but I will say this, one thing DCL has going for it is that it does make cruise planning a LOT easier.   Don't get me wrong on the surface it certainly appears we're getting a lot more for the same $$ on RC, it's just a bit harder to figure out how.  That's OK, it'll only take once.

Really?  I find RC so much easier than DCL.  And so much more variety too.  I hate navigating the DCL website.  I hope you have a great time on Allure!  And the views from CK are stunning.

2 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Really?  I find RC so much easier than DCL.  And so much more variety too.  I hate navigating the DCL website.  I hope you have a great time on Allure!  And the views from CK are stunning.

While I agree the DCL website leaves a lot to be desired, I'm talking more about the options to navigate once you've booked - not the actual booking process.  As you know on DCL there are no reservations for anything unless you want to eat a night or two in their specialty dining area, or you have special needs.  So after I book DCL I don't think about drink packages, shows and entertainment (you just show up early and grab any  seat).  We took some neighbors with us last time as first timers, and after we boarded we just told them if you can see it, you can eat it and if someone's not serving it to you and wanting your card, it's included.   They were totally off and running with that for the week. That takes some of the guess work out of cruising - but for a price.

But I absolutely agree what drew us to RC was the variety and something new and shiny (as we are easily distracted) - but because there's so much to do one has to do more pre-planning to take advantage of it.  I'm fine with that.  This discussion board has been a godsend for helping me figure this stuff out and I feel like I'm going to be a mile ahead of at lease some percentage of first timers.  That should be good enough :)

39 minutes ago, HWC said:

While I agree the DCL website leaves a lot to be desired, I'm talking more about the options to navigate once you've booked - not the actual booking process.  As you know on DCL there are no reservations for anything unless you want to eat a night or two in their specialty dining area, or you have special needs.  So after I book DCL I don't think about drink packages, shows and entertainment (you just show up early and grab any  seat).  We took some neighbors with us last time as first timers, and after we boarded we just told them if you can see it, you can eat it and if someone's not serving it to you and wanting your card, it's included.   They were totally off and running with that for the week. That takes some of the guess work out of cruising - but for a price.

But I absolutely agree what drew us to RC was the variety and something new and shiny (as we are easily distracted) - but because there's so much to do one has to do more pre-planning to take advantage of it.  I'm fine with that.  This discussion board has been a godsend for helping me figure this stuff out and I feel like I'm going to be a mile ahead of at lease some percentage of first timers.  That should be good enough :)

I think you will love RCI.  Especially if you are starting off with Allure.  She will spoil you for the rest.  And Fantasy/Dream/Wonder/Magic will all pale in comparison to her.  Oh and welcome to the boards.  This site and these people here have been a godsend to me too.

• 3 weeks later...

We are in a family JS on Anthem for Easter, and I booked Coastal Kitchen for dinner every night.  I was able to do it through Cruise Planner (luckily).  Does Coastal Kitchen host formal night following the MDR schedule, or is it "smart casual" the entire week?   My husband always packs a sport coat and tie, regardless... But if it will have formal we will dress formal.  But I am NOT packing it if I do not need to!  Two teen boys in tuxes is both fun and exhausting! 

9 minutes ago, Mrs. RoyalMoyal said:

We are in a family JS on Anthem for Easter, and I booked Coastal Kitchen for dinner every night.  I was able to do it through Cruise Planner (luckily).  Does Coastal Kitchen host formal night following the MDR schedule, or is it "smart casual" the entire week?   My husband always packs a sport coat and tie, regardless... But if it will have formal we will dress formal.  But I am NOT packing it if I do not need to!  Two teen boys in tuxes is both fun and exhausting! 

The whole ship usually follows the formal night, all of the specialty restaurants included, but that doesn't mean you have to dress the boys in a tux, I would only do that if you wanted to get some really special pictures, otherwise I would go with the smart casual... believe me, no one is going to frown at you or your boys.

6 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

The whole ship usually follows the formal night, all of the specialty restaurants included, but that doesn't mean you have to dress the boys in a tux, I would only do that if you wanted to get some really special pictures, otherwise I would go with the smart casual... believe me, no one is going to frown at you or your boys.

The boys have both dressed way up, and also just worn a dress shirt, NO tie (with pants, LOL...).  Sometimes it is simpler, easier, and less expensive to go rent a tux at home for $75.00 then take it with us (ONLY if we drive to the port) than it is to endlessly shop for pants, shirts, sportcoat, ties, shoes, socks...  before a cruise.  We plan to dress nicely for Easter anyway, I think this time it will just be shirts with ties, perhaps a sport coat for my older son.  I will have to see what fits from the Christmas cruise.  Packing is part of the fun!  We get a couple of free photographs, if I can get them to stand for a portrait of the family I will take advantage of it!

2 hours ago, Mrs. RoyalMoyal said:

As @tiny260 said, the whole ship usually follows formal night. As far as how formal it gets, that's a personal choice. I know in CK on Harmony there was maybe one gentleman in a tux. The rest were just in a dress shirt and tie. Many do not even wear jackets. I'm sailing Anthem in exactly 3 weeks from today and we're booked in the same cabin type as you. I'll likely be live blogging and we're having all meals but one in CK, so I can let you know how formal it gets there.  Just look in the live blog section in a few weeks ?