Sail away and dining conflict

Hi,

My husband and I are doing 8pm dining on our June Rhapsody cruise because most of the sail aways are at 5 or 6pm and we'd like to enjoy them before heading to a show or dinner.  However, embarkation is at 8pm out of San Juan.  We really want to enjoy the nighttime sailaway by El Morro and old San Juan but it absolutely conflicts with the 8pm dining.  I don't want to screw up the waiter or the table (we are going to request a 2 top, but if we don't get one...).  How late is too late before we punt and just do windjammer? Jane

30 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

It isn't mandatory to eat in MDR night 1--you won't lose your res. So eat somewhere else if you want to enjoy the sail away.

I know it's not, but I'm really trying to give the MDR a shot this time! Our last few cruises I think we've been in there maybe 1 time! Jane

5 minutes ago, barjpoe said:

Maybe stop in at the MDR when you board and see about changing that nights res?

Can you do that if you don't have mtd?  That would be perfect and we will be in the MDR for lunch anyway.  Jane

24 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

Can you do that if you don't have mtd?  That would be perfect and we will be in the MDR for lunch anyway.  Jane

You can certainly ask. Nothing to lose. Worst case... they say they can't help but they will usually do what they can in my experience.

We had early seating on Allure in October... but when we boarded our sea passes said MTD. We went to the MDR in the afternoon on Day 1 and were told the computer screwed up a bunch of people. Long story short, there was no room left in early traditional but an MDR manager told us to show up around 5:00 every night and they would seat us within a few minutes, it just wouldn't be at the same table each night (which didn't bother us). So that's what we did and we were given our preferred 2-top each night with no more than a 5-10 minute wait.

14 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I know it's not, but I'm really trying to give the MDR a shot this time! Our last few cruises I think we've been in there maybe 1 time! Jane

We had this issue on Oasis last January- dinner was at 530, sail away was set for 5 so we thought we'd be good.... Sail away got pushed back to almost 7 but we were never informed, so we just kept waiting out there. Next thing we know it's almost 7 and way past our dinner time- I was a little upset because it was our first cruise as a family and I wanted to enjoy dinner at MDR that night, but we just gave in and hit windjammer that night and hit MDR a few other nights that week. 

8 hours ago, ScottD said:

We had this issue on Oasis last January- dinner was at 530, sail away was set for 5 so we thought we'd be good.... Sail away got pushed back to almost 7 but we were never informed, so we just kept waiting out there. Next thing we know it's almost 7 and way past our dinner time- I was a little upset because it was our first cruise as a family and I wanted to enjoy dinner at MDR that night, but we just gave in and hit windjammer that night and hit MDR a few other nights that week. 

That's awful:(.  I figure we will know pretty quick if sailaway is delayed.  I just need to check how late windjammer is open.  And normally I wouldn't mind missing the sailaway but San Juan is just so cool at night! Jane

56 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I think that's officially against the rules (mixing traditional and MTD).  While they might allow sometimes, I wouldn't count on it. 

It's obviously totally against the rules, but worth asking.  If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.  Just hadn't considered it! Jane