Strange, very strange email from Royal

I'm confused, I got a very strange email from Royal Caribbean through my TA. We have a Bermuda cruise booked for next May part of a back to back. Anyway we put down 500 deposit which was over the 400 required because it's 5 day cruise.  

The email today said there was a glitch in the system and they were supposed to ask for a 1,000 deposit because it's Bermuda but they are gonna allow the 500 deposit. There also was a price drop on the cruise. I'm as confused as you are reading this. 😵‍💫  

Ok got full clarification from my TA. Glitch in the Royal Caribbean system allowing for a lower deposit. They are allowing the deposit to stand and the price drop. If there is another price drop they will require the extra 500 deposit before honoring the price drop. 🤣 That's all crazy but expected from Royal Caribbean. 🤣

10 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Ok got full clarification from my TA. Glitch in the Royal Caribbean system allowing for a lower deposit. They are allowing the deposit to stand and the price drop. If there is another price drop they will require the extra 500 deposit before honoring the price drop. 🤣 That's all crazy but expected from Royal Caribbean. 🤣

Given that the additional deposit money will eventually be paid, putting it up to get another price drop sounds reasonable to me.

What's funny to me is that the $250 per person might be most of the cost of the 3rd and 4th passengers, depending on what discounts/sale type happens to be in play.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is the first time I've ever heard of Bermuda having some weirdo deposit requirement.  Something to put away in the ol' brain pan....

I never knew about it either.

Actually looks like it's relatively recent.

Here's today's FAQ which mentions Bermuda:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/deposit-requirements

Then from last August, which doesn't mention Bermuda

https://web.archive.org/web/20230807190820/https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/deposit-requirements

Does anyone know why they would require extra deposit money for Bermuda? That seems odd to me. Why that one port? 

Honestly though I'm happy with this outcome as opposed to them saying at final payment your cruise is cancelled because we never received the full deposit. That wouldn't surprise me in the least. It still actually wouldn't surprise me even though they said the deposit we made was fine. This is part of our first back to back so I would flip my lid if it was cancelled on us. I mean freak out!

4 hours ago, VeronicaS1970 said:

So I am planning to book Bermuda for next May/ June when I am on Ovation in 2 weeks😁. I am expecting to put down $200 deposit as is the norm with Next Cruise. So will I have to pay more deposit? Just want to be prepared.

Yeah seems like it to me. I guess for 2 expect 500. Odd that it's just Bermuda but there must be some good reason.