Prices - GTY vs Choose your own

I am wondering what to do...

On my next cruise, we paid GTY interior. We got our cabin assignment and turns out we have an ocean view and we didn't pay more. 

The cruise I am looking at, the GTY is $25 more before fees and taxes. If I choose the cheapest option, which is 'choose your own', I won't have the 'chance' to get a free upgrade, will I? 

I will still Royal Up no matter what, but was wondering if it's common getting a free upgrade when booking a GTY or was I super lucky...

3 minutes ago, Someone_else said:

was wondering if it's common getting a free upgrade when booking a GTY or was I super lucky

No, it's rare... that said, upgrading to an OV from an interior isn't a big jump but I'm glad you're happy with it!

Choosing my own interior for less money than a GTY is a no-brainer to me.

8 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

No, it's rare... that said, upgrading to an OV from an interior isn't a big jump but I'm glad you're happy with it!

Choosing my own interior for less money than a GTY is a no-brainer to me.

That window means the world... I originally booked Interior for my next one and my wife starting getting all weird about not getting any light from the outside, so we "upgraded" to an OV GTY... now she's just been anxious to find out where our room is, lol.  

Keep in mind that GTY rooms can only be booked as non-refundable.  For that reason, we don't book them but if non-refundable is ok, then it's a good way to save money (well, in most cases as per your post).  I've seen that too the odd time where the GTY is cheaper than a selected category.  It's just based on inventory and dynamic pricing.  

Wow...that's great that you got assigned an ocean view even though you booked GTY interior.  I would think that is rare.

If you do book the GTY room, once you have your room assigned, if you don't like the location, you can move to another available room as long as it is the same category code.

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

That window means I’m likely on a deck much lower than I prefer & light might get in & bother us. 🤣

#teamvampire

I'd never get the family out of the room! lol... My wife and kid can sleep like rocks, I have that internal alarm so I'm up at the crack of dawn either way... but man would it be a battle for me to get them up and out without the old pulling the curtain back trick I use at every hotel! 

13 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

That window means I’m likely on a deck much lower than I prefer & light might get in & bother us. 🤣

#teamvampire

We are happy with a lower deck (and you will be happy if we are on a lower deck) because....kids! No need to wait for an elevator when leaving to or arriving from a port! 😂

9 minutes ago, Someone_else said:

We are happy with a lower deck (and you will be happy if we are on a lower deck) because....kids! No need to wait for an elevator when leaving to or arriving from a port! 😂

Everyone likes what they like for whatever reason. I spend too much time on higher decks and try to take the stairs when possible so something like deck 10 on Oasis class is my sweet spot... can walk up to the pool deck or down to the promenade without dying or at least pulling a hammy.

My wife's a teacher. With a couple exceptions, all we do is sail with tons of kids even though we don't have any. I'm used to it.

We're easy to please too. Kids don't get in the way of our routine much.

EDIT: BTW, I'm not even sure how those other posts were meant.

1 minute ago, Someone_else said:

Are you stalking on me? I feel important all of a sudden! 😄

Yep ..really! I really mean it! 😉

Wether you believe it or not. I genuinely wanted to understand what you were saying/hoping to accomplish. I hope it works/worked out. 

Glad you stuck around. Apparently, given the amount of time you have spent here this week, you see we and our advice (and opinions) have value after all. Lots to learn from folks with first hand experience. Have good evening. 

We will make it work 😉

5 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Wether you believe it or not. I genuinely wanted to understand what you were saying/hoping to accomplish. I hope it works/worked out. 

Glad you stuck around. Apparently, given the amount of time you have spent here this week, you see we and our advice (and opinions) have value after all. Lots to learn from folks with first hand experience. Have good evening. 

We will make it work 😉

You may not believe it, but I really am an easy going and a nice person! 

And you as well!