Has Chef's Table become locked down with its menu?

I was looking at the dining options on my Odyssey sailing for next year, and saw that they were offering it on Day 1 and nothing else. I realize that might well be because they just haven't opened up more evenings yet because it's still far off, so I'm not worried there. But what did worry me was the menu I saw listed. It was exactly the same menu as I had in 2018 on Freedom of the Seas -- scallops carpaccio, smoked tomato soup, lobster salad with hearts of palm, branzino or filet, and The World for dessert.

Please tell me that's just a sample menu and they vary it up a bit. If they are still serving the exact same menu for the past 6 years, across the fleet, I will not book that no matter how much I enjoyed it back then.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Even if they change out the wines, it completely defeats the purpose of a chef's table. The menu should be down to the individual chef responsible for the meal.

Exactly! When this was originally a thing, the point was that it gave their head chef a chance to flex their creativity and serve something unique and unlike anything else available on the ship. Combined with the wine pairings, that made it well worth the cover charge.

Now? I’ve had those individual items in Coastal Kitchen and various specialty restaurants, and they’re all clearly standards on the menu. So I guess my wife will be saving herself a couple hundred bucks since she was offering to take me to that as a birthday gift.

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Exactly! When this was originally a thing, the point was that it gave their head chef a chance to flex their creativity and serve something unique and unlike anything else available on the ship. Combined with the wine pairings, that made it well worth the cover charge.

Now? I’ve had those individual items in Coastal Kitchen and various specialty restaurants, and they’re all clearly standards on the menu. So I guess my wife will be saving herself a couple hundred bucks since she was offering to take me to that as a birthday gift.

Maybe she can find something nice for you to do in one of your ports instead 😊

On 3/26/2024 at 9:20 AM, FionaMG said:

Maybe she can find something nice for you to do in one of your ports instead 😊

After I told her the situation, she said that we'll use some of our OBC ($225 on this Odyssey sailing, thanks to a promo when I booked) to eat at one specialty venue. And then she'll pay for dinner at another venue of my choice. So definitely still getting something good for B-Day. I'm thinking we'll use the OBC for teppanyaki at Izumi, and the one she covers will be dinner at Giovanni's. (I've heard the new Giovanni's is way better than Jamie's Italian ever was, and it's even better than the original Giovanni's Italian Kitchen on ships like Freedom)

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

After I told her the situation, she said that we'll use some of our OBC ($225 on this Odyssey sailing, thanks to a promo when I booked) to eat at one specialty venue. And then she'll pay for dinner at another venue of my choice. So definitely still getting something good for B-Day. I'm thinking we'll use the OBC for teppanyaki at Izumi, and the one she covers will be dinner at Giovanni's. (I've heard the new Giovanni's is way better than Jamie's Italian ever was, and it's even better than the original Giovanni's Italian Kitchen on ships like Freedom)

Sounds like a win-win to me. 🤩