Transportation from central Rome to civitavecchia

You can check on Cruise Critic under Italy ports for all the discussions.

Many travelers on a budget opt for the train, but then you need local transportation from the train station to your ship.

Taxis have a set price, which is around 125 Euros. 

Private shuttles may be a bit less or more, depending on the company.

I opted for a shared shuttle, and I thought the price was fair.  The trip is less than an hour, right to the ship check-in.

There is also information on TA:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k14686912-To_From_the_Port_of_Civitavecchia-Rome_Lazio.html

8 hours ago, PhillyLady said:

You can check on Cruise Critic under Italy ports for all the discussions.

Many travelers on a budget opt for the train, but then you need local transportation from the train station to your ship.

Taxis have a set price, which is around 125 Euros. 

Private shuttles may be a bit less or more, depending on the company.

I opted for a shared shuttle, and I thought the price was fair.  The trip is less than an hour, right to the ship check-in.

There is also information on TA:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k14686912-To_From_the_Port_of_Civitavecchia-Rome_Lazio.html

Another strong vote for the train! It is inexpensive and simple and getting transport from the station to the ship is too. The hardest part is getting out of the train station (you have to go down via stairs or a small elevator to get under the tracks to exit). There are cabs waiting if you're in a hurry for the 10-minute or so trip to the dock, but shuttle buses also run between the station and the dock... there are different colors for the different cruise lines so ask the driver to make sure you get on the RC shuttle.  They are cash only (was 3 Euro per person a couple years ago) and very easy.  For two people it can;t be beat, plus once you get out of Rome the train through the countryside is lovely.

We did the train last year and I would definitely do it again, but there are a couple things I would do differently.  

1. Two of us had 3 suitcases, which was a bit of a challenge managing on the train.  Luckily it was not too crowded leaving Rome (morning) so we managed, but it is definitely easier if you can travel lighter.  As we were staying overnight in Civitavecchia, we opted to just walk from Train to hotel (about 1km) and then from hotel to port (another 1km).
2. Plan the return trip-   Post cruise, the train station is chaotic to buy tickets back to Rome and they sell out for early trains.  I would highly recommend buying the return ticket to Rome before going to ship, so that when you leave, you can basically get right on the train.  Also, the trains are even more crowded going back, so luggage is still a factor.

19 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What was the company that you used?

We used Cab Roma for most of it and another service, Civitavecchia Cab Service, for our trip from the port to the airport as I was late to book with Cab Roma. Very happy with both services and all done by email. I wasn't sure how we would be in touch with them once we landed/disembarked but as soon as i had WIFI, I received notifications from each company by WhatsApp. 

www.cabroma.com

www.civitavecchiacabservice.com