Cruise check in unavailable onboard in Bahamas

I stupidly chose to stay awake until 3am to check in for my Alaska cruise when check in opened.  (3am isn’t a big stretch I’m normally up til 1 or 2)
Check in opened at 3am eastern since it was midnight in Vancouver where we would be sailing from. 

the website has a message that only the app can be used -which is quite strange-that message has been there ever since we purchased the cruise but it does not appear on my cruise preceding, or following this one so I could not use the website for check in. 

The app would not allow check in via the button OR the check in under the profile. It kept saying “check in had checked out.
I closed the app and reopened it about 3 dozen times.
I deleted the app and reinstalled it
I shut down my phone and restarted it
I even tried to edit the check in for the cruise preceding this one.-same “check in has checked out)  others in the FB group were able to check in via the app. 
and my issue was still the same at 8:30am til present. 
The only thing I can figure is I’m on a ship in the Bahamas and the app won’t allow this action due to my location.
Hubby was home so I didn’t call him at 3 am but when he got up he saw my “message for help” and did the check in.  I went back again to try and edit, but still get the message check in checked out. So I’m thinking location usage issue. 

now, to make it more  bizarre-while I could not access check in I did click on “view setsail pass” and  they were complete and we were assigned 12:30….I took a screenshot in case that disappeared later and only later check ins showed. 
After the husband did check in the times he secured showed on the setsail pass (I took a screenshot that too in case it disappears later)

wonder why some of us on this sailing had the “use the app to check in” message.l there’s a number of folks on our sailing who don’t use smartphones!

anyone else have issues doing check in when on a sailing in the Caribbean?

IMG_3586.thumb.jpeg.a14e95866e7b307624fabc676ce4da97.jpeg

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2024/03/06/royal-caribbean-requires-cruise-ship-passengers-only-app-check-its-app-vancouver

Looks like this is a Royal policy shift just for this port.

I tend to have issues checking in via the app when I'm using VOOM on another sailing. It always gives me a headache and usually I give up and use the website, which wouldn't be an option in this case because Vancouver is the embarkation port.

I always have trouble checking in with the app…so much so that I have ceased even trying.  I just go straight to the website now.

@Pattycruise you do know that now that you’re Pinnacle you don’t need to worry about a check-in time, right ?  I used to stress but now I just wait until I can easily get to the website and whatever check-in time I get is entirely moot.  It’s one of the best perks of being .Pinnacle.

17 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I always have trouble checking in with the app…so much so that I have ceased even trying.  I just go straight to the website now.

@Pattycruise you do know that now that you’re Pinnacle you don’t need to worry about a check-in time, right ?  I used to stress but now I just wait until I can easily get to the website and whatever check-in time I get is entirely moot.  It’s one of the best perks of being .Pinnacle.

I wasn’t sure if it’s “an hour before” what you pick.  If that’s not the case I’ll be stress free for most of my future cruises. However Bayonne had a heart attack when we approached the Pinnacle line as a group and then wanted set sail passes-though 1/2 of us were with hubby and I (we had split ourselves between 2 cabins) and  one was disabled….made disabled go to a long handicapped lane! And 2 of my group accompanied her, then the “nice lady” got her panties out of a twist and let us go -seapass cards unseen. 
Vancouver we are alone-do whatever accommodations for Pinnacle shouldn’t be an issue. 

51 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2024/03/06/royal-caribbean-requires-cruise-ship-passengers-only-app-check-its-app-vancouver

Looks like this is a Royal policy shift just for this port.

I tend to have issues checking in via the app when I'm using VOOM on another sailing. It always gives me a headache and usually I give up and use the website, which wouldn't be an option in this case because Vancouver is the embarkation port.

Well that explains that! Poor technology challenged people!

thank you

If you have non-Pinns in your group then that’s a different story….and the check-in times would apply (to them) but for Pinns, the arrival time is entirely moot these days, as it is for Suites.  I have not cruised out of Bayonne since making Pinn so maybe they’re still going by check-in times, but every FL port now just ignores them anyway.  Priority boarding is one of the best Pinn perks.  Enjoy it !

I sail from Bayonne virtually all of the time.  I always arrive a little past 10 to make sure the garage is open for incoming guests. So I’m usually at the door to the terminal before 10:30. So far, there has never been anyone checking boarding passes. I go right in and get on one of the security lines.

The only time I had my boarding pass checked was right after the restart when they would announce the times over a bull horn and then allow us in. But that quickly went away…at least in the morning. I heard as it became more crowded during the afternoon, they would check for arrival times.

Since then, I always made sure I was up when check in opened to get the earliest time…even though I’m Pinn. I also thought that ‘one hour before or after’ referred to the arrival time. I worry that the one time I don’t get the early arrival time…That’s when they’re going to check!

**By the way…I was up last night at midnight and checked in for my May 5th cruise on the Liberty from Bayonne. It allowed me to do everything but choose a time. There was a message saying ‘check back closer to the cruise date to choose an arrival time.’ That’s new.

For the longest time I've had issues with domains that use rccl.com when on board connected with Voom.  

In the days before the app you couldn't check in on the website using Voom, unless you had a VPN service which circumvents the issue with rccl.com domains used in the background for check in or obtaining luggage tags.

Since the app days I've recently still seen the weird issues with check in when on board using Voom.  The last time was two cruises ago (a few months ago) when I tried to snap an early arrival time for an upcoming cruise and it reported it hit a snag or check in wasn't available.  Then I used my VPN and check in worked fine, arrival time selected.

So it still seems Royal has issues with check in when connected by Voom.   If you are in a port with cellular data as an option disconnect from Voom and it should work, or use a VPN service.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

For the longest time I've had issues with domains that use rccl.com when on board connected with Voom. 

I've noticed the same thing although I had no idea the reason....but even when I am on THEIR computers in one of the lounges or in the Voom kiosk area, I can get onto all of the website my little heart desires EXCEPT for royalcaribbean.com.  So lame