Royals Transportation

Ok, so decided to push the boat out and hire a car and driver to get from Miami airport to Hampton inn Brickell. (We have too much luggage for public transport).

Supposedly Hampton inn Brickell works with a 3rd party vendor (Still trying to confirm) to get you from hotel to port for a small fee. So that can save on an Uber XL (again lots of luggage. LOL).

So.... looking at Royal Caribbean transportation from port back to airport at end of trip. (OIA/PC so much easier and cheaper). Royal says to call 2 weeks before to purchase/arrange transport from port to airport. So questions.

Is this how it's done?

Is a few weeks out enough notice?

Does it have to be a phone call? (Don't see any online options.)

What is the cost?

Do they use large buses? (This would be great since amount of luggage doesn't become an issue unlike Uber size etc)

Do they ask about flight times? (Delta moved us to a 230pm flight, so in no rush that morning. LOL).

Thanks 

5 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Ok, so decided to push the boat out and hire a car and driver to get from Miami airport to Hampton inn Brickell. (We have too much luggage for public transport).

Supposedly Hampton inn Brickell works with a 3rd party vendor (Still trying to confirm) to get you from hotel to port for a small fee. So that can save on an Uber XL (again lots of luggage. LOL).

So.... looking at Royal Caribbean transportation from port back to airport at end of trip. (OIA/PC so much easier and cheaper). Royal says to call 2 weeks before to purchase/arrange transport from port to airport. So questions.

Is this how it's done?

Is a few weeks out enough notice?

Does it have to be a phone call? (Don't see any online options.)

What is the cost?

Do they use large buses? (This would be great since amount of luggage doesn't become an issue unlike Uber size etc)

Do they ask about flight times? (Delta moved us to a 230pm flight, so in no rush that morning. LOL).

Thanks 

Not sure on this Royal Transportation, but we've used Larry's Limo to go between Fort Lauderdale to Port Miami, several times.  With the distance, it was comparable in price to Lyft.  If you need a larger vehicle and such for the luggage, they may have some options as well. 

https://larryslimo.com/

The one time I used RC's transfers (in 2009) was from Miami to FLL and they did use larger charter buses.

I don't recall being asked about my flight time, but I was in a similar situation as you with a mid-afternoon flight.

I don't remember how much it was, but being so long ago, I'm sure the price wouldn't be relevant now anyway.

I don't know how far out your cruise is, but often these things (transfers/excursions) become available online as your sail date gets closer. I fairly certain that I booked online about 4-6 weeks from my sail date.

12 minutes ago, SPS said:

fairly certain that I booked online about 4-6 weeks from my sail date.

Says on "transportation page" you have to call. One thing says to do it no later than 2 weeks out. Another says at 2 weeks. LOL. So I'm thinking call at 3 weeks to be safe.

On our last trip on Oasis a couple of weeks ago, we used the services of SAS Transport. We used them from our hotel in Fort Lauderdale to Port of Miami and back to FLL airport. The van in the picture looks like a "molester" van but in fact was a nice modern Mercedes van that took us both ways. They charge $15 per person per trip (up to 4 people) and $13 if you're more. Everything is done by email and was booked 3 weeks before our cruise. Wasn't sure what to expect at first but since we were 5 decided to try it out. In the end we were quite happy with our experience with them.

15 minutes ago, Mturk said:

On our last trip on Oasis a couple of weeks ago, we used the services of SAS Transport. We used them from our hotel in Fort Lauderdale to Port of Miami and back to FLL airport. The van in the picture looks like a "molester" van but in fact was a nice modern Mercedes van that took us both ways. They charge $15 per person per trip (up to 4 people) and $13 if you're more. Everything is done by email and was booked 3 weeks before our cruise. Wasn't sure what to expect at first but since we were 5 decided to try it out. In the end we were quite happy with our experience with them.

SAS doesn't do pickups from Miami hotels. Thanks anyway.

I used a Royal Caribbean transfer from Port Miami to MIA in October 2022.  We were using terminal G instead of Royal's newest terminal, which I think is A.

Regardless, it wasn't a pleasant experience. We received luggage tags and the instructions seemed to indicate we should put our luggage outside the night before rather than self assist as I usually do. This was my first mistake. When we arrived in the terminal, it was a zoo and took almost an hour to get our luggage. Once we had our luggage in hand, the area with the busses was even more insane. We asked which bus, and the agent just pointed at a line of busses. We asked a bus driver if he was going to MIA, and his response was "I don't know." We found someone else and was told to get in a line and board a specific bus.  However the line really wasn't a line and was redirected several times.  After an hour in the "line", we finally boarded the bus with the driver that didn't know where he was going.

Once on the bus, everything was fine. It was a 48 passenger road bus with a wheelchair lift. There was room for luggage in the belly boxes below.

In comparison, I took the shuttle in Los Angeles and everything worked like clockwork.  We were at the airport an hour after leaving the ship.

Also for comparison, I sailed through terminal G in January 2024. I did self assist and an Uber to the airport.  Everything worked like clockwork and we were at the airport without hassle. If you do this option, I suggest ordering an Uber as soon as you clear customs. Surge pricing got us for an extra $10.

We used Royal's shuttle bus on the cruise before last and booked it onboard. In fact, it was regularly an option in the cruise planner starting about midway through the cruise. It told people to go to guest services to book. For Ft. Lauderdale it was $20 per person. They use shuttle buses. And they assign you a departure time based on your flight (before noon or after).

We didn't use it on our last cruise because the option through our pre-cruise hotel was $5 cheaper per person and could book it in advance so we didn't have to worry about anything being filled up.

Yes. we have used the Port to MIA shuttle twice recently, purchased directly from Guest Services while we were on the ship.  Sometimes, not always, it is available on the app.  Cost is 20-dollars each person.  And yes, it was a large and modern bus.  This works so well for us, this is how we get from any Royal ship back to the airport, every time, regardless of which port we are at.

There is one issue I have learned to be pro-active about.  For whatever reason, in spite of them asking our flight time, when we get our luggage tags and debark assignments, they never match the actual time we need, to get on the bus.  For example, the bus may load at 0830, but our debark group may be such a time that by the time we get to the bus, it's already quite loaded and many of the buses have already left.  That means we get leftover seats, and maybe not even sit together.  To remedy this, I go to guest services and have them change our debark time to an earlier group.  And on my very last cruise from Miami, I discovered it's just as easy to ask our cabin attendant for an earlier tag.  He has them all and can change your debark time just for the asking.

Screenshot_15-3-2024_65224_.jpeg

On 3/15/2024 at 10:55 AM, CanHardlyWait said:

dreading another potentially long Royal phone call.

For what it’s worth, a good travel advisor can handle these requests for your before your trip. We’ve had ours add it to many of our cruises that way it’s done and paid before we even leave. One less thing to deal with while we’re relaxing.

6 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

For what it’s worth, a good travel advisor can handle these requests for your before your trip. We’ve had ours add it to many of our cruises that way it’s done and paid before we even leave. One less thing to deal with while we’re relaxing.

I don't mind asking at guest services onboard. I find they tend to have more practical knowledge than anyone over the phone.