2nd MDR dish not served at same time?

I forgot to ask this since we have been back off Anthem on Sunday. We have been on many, many cruises now almost all on Royal Caribbean. This is not a huge deal, we just thought it was strange, very strange. 

We have ordered at times because e didn't know if we would like one dish over another so we not order 2. On Anthem last week we did this one night, and they said as a company rule we can't bring the second dish out till you finish the first dish. I don't ever remember that and found that policy extremely odd. Is this something new? Is it just an Anthem thing? 

4 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

It may not always be enforced but it is a policy RC implemented a while back; not just an Anthem thing.

That has got to be the strangest policy I ever heard of. I thought the way the server started talking that they were charging for it but that wasn't the case, just delayed. That is an odd one that I didn't know about. Thanks for the info. 

12 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, this is a relatively new thing….maybe 6 months ago.  My recent experience has been that the servers have been largely ignoring the rule but it is still a “thing”.  I have found that if I tell the server that Dan and I are going to “share” the second entree, they will just bring it.

I still find it very strange. Not sure why it would make a difference when they come out but not a huge deal, just odd. 🤣 I'll keep that in mind that we will tell them we sharing. See if that works. I just find the whole thing so strange. 🤣 🤔

Yep. they got us on Oasis in October, also. We also did the "share" thing and it worked, ordered 1 each for the 3 of us then told him we were going to share a 4th plate to all try it and he always brought it out.  He said they can bring multiple apps per person, but only one entree. 

5 minutes ago, ScottD said:

Yep. they got us on Oasis in October, also. We also did the "share" thing and it worked, ordered 1 each for the 3 of us then told him we were going to share a 4th plate to all try it and he always brought it out.  He said they can bring multiple apps per person, but only one entree. 

I don't know why but that is hilarious to me. So, so odd. Thanks for the info. 

Just now, Jolly Ogre said:

So if i don't like the 1st entree I have to finish it before they will bring me a 2nd?? WTH?? I will just have to toss it on the floor!!

I didn't think of that, but yeah I guess if you truly don't like it you'll have to say I'm done and they'll bring you a second. It has to be the strangest policy I ever heard of. 

Now unfortunately the way I read Royal Caribbean is this is a first step in charging for a second entree. I hate to be that cynical but I have to go there. ☹️

16 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I didn't think of that, but yeah I guess if you truly don't like it you'll have to say I'm done and they'll bring you a second. It has to be the strangest policy I ever heard of. 

Now unfortunately the way I read Royal Caribbean is this is a first step in charging for a second entree. I hate to be that cynical but I have to go there. ☹️

So I take 2-3 bites and don't like it then sit for another 15-30 min for them to bring another dish. Oh and don't forget the 5-10 min for them to get me a menu again so that I may look at it and decide what I want.... What a wonderful dining experience. 😒

39 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

So I take 2-3 bites and don't like it then sit for another 15-30 min for them to bring another dish. Oh and don't forget the 5-10 min for them to get me a menu again so that I may look at it and decide what I want.... What a wonderful dining experience.

Yeah, I'd either order multiple from the start or not bother.

21 minutes ago, ScottD said:

I assume it's an attempt to stop waste, people ordering 2-3 entrees and eating a bite of each one.  If they hold up on the 2nd one, you're more likely to eat all of the first one before asking for the 2nd one, and not even getting a 3rd one. 

Yeah we have never ordered 3 and would feel really weird about doing that. How manu people do order 3 can't be much. Two I think it's reasonable at times. 

57 minutes ago, ScottD said:

I assume it's an attempt to stop waste, people ordering 2-3 entrees and eating a bite of each one.  If they hold up on the 2nd one, you're more likely to eat all of the first one before asking for the 2nd one, and not even getting a 3rd one. 

Here's the thing though....let's say it does stop people from "wasting" food.  What happens to that same food that is prepared, waiting to be eaten, but never ordered/served ?  It goes to the fishes just like the plate of food would do if you ordered it and then wasted some of it.  The whole thing is just stupid.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Here's the thing though....let's say it does stop people from "wasting" food.  What happens to that same food that is prepared, waiting to be eaten, but never ordered/served ?  It goes to the fishes just like the plate of food would do if you ordered it and then wasted some of it.  The whole thing is just stupid.

Royal has software which predicts how much of each dish will be ordered based on passanger demographics. Their kitchens then make enough to cover anticipated orders plus a buffer so they don't have to tell someone they're out. While they're making extra each evening, getting passangers to order fewer dishes means less will be prepared in the future and less food for the fishes. In other words, the kitchen isn't making enough for everyone to order everything off the menu each evening, and wasn't doing so before this policy. But the policy should help reduce food waste from people who were ordering multiple dishes then barely touching either. 

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is how I feel about the buffet...the food is prepped and out.  It's not getting put away to use tomorrow, may as well try a little of everything if you want!