Potential European cruises for 2026

As we await the itinerary release next week, I was thinking about taking my first European cruise. I had considered the group cruise next year out of Southhampton, but could  not convince my wife to pull the trigger on the booking. However, it brings up the question, what would be a good itinerary to sail on in Europe? I am interested in England, Norway, and other North Sea destinations. I would also be up for Italy and Spain. I have also told my travel agent to be on the lookout for any transatlantic sailings on an Oasis-class ship either from Europe to a Florida port (Since I live here) or vice versa. But I wanted to find out what you guys thought. I would like to do this in the summer as my daughter is in elementary school and would not want to pull her out of school. 

Hi! I am from  Norway, and I would definitely reccommend coming here in the summer. I would say Kristiansand and Stavanger (and Oslo or possibly Bergen) are great ports of call (if available) at that time of year. If you want to do excursions of your own with kids here are some ideas that my girls (age 8 and 10) love if you go to these ports:

Stavanger: Kongeparken (Theme park with a farm theme) 

Kristiansand: Dyreparken (Norways biggest zoo), Aquarama (aquapark in case you go on a ship without it)

Bystranda/Hamresanden/Høllesanden - 3 great beaches (Kristiansand is the best summer spot in Norway, and it is like a mini Barcelona, disclaimer: I am from Kristiansand city.) 

Bergen: Akvariet (aquarium), Bergen Urban zoo (reptiles) - urban zoo is right next to cruise terminal

Oslo- Freia (chocolate factory where you get to make and taste loads of lovely chocolate). Feel free to ask mote about specific ports and so on when you know your ports of call. 

-Chris- 

4 minutes ago, TheoneandonlyMICAH said:

Awesome! Thanks for the ideas. My daughter is 9 and I am trying to get her to see other parts of the word. I am looking forward to seeing  these places with her. 

I just posted a topic where I added things (under excursions) I forgot to say you should take her to the kings castle if you go to Oslo, and to Arendal (Arendelle from Frozen) if you go to Kristiansand.

Feel free to ask when you know more about which ports you are visiting. 

2 hours ago, TheoneandonlyMICAH said:

As we await the itinerary release next week, I was thinking about taking my first European cruise. I had considered the group cruise next year out of Southhampton, but could  not convince my wife to pull the trigger on the booking. However, it brings up the question, what would be a good itinerary to sail on in Europe? I am interested in England, Norway, and other North Sea destinations. I would also be up for Italy and Spain. I have also told my travel agent to be on the lookout for any transatlantic sailings on an Oasis-class ship either from Europe to a Florida port (Since I live here) or vice versa. But I wanted to find out what you guys thought. I would like to do this in the summer as my daughter is in elementary school and would not want to pull her out of school. 

Norway is one of the most beautiful countries I've visited. We have 2 cruises booked for Norway for 2025. 

Would not get my hopes up for 2026 European cruise schedule next week. 2026 Europe deployment will most likely be released in October/November of this year. 

2025 deployment was released in October of 2023.

I have taken one European cruise in summer 2022 on odyssey it was great I loved the port but I had never seen so many rude kids on a cruise or parents not parenting. I assume this was luck of the draw and I am a teacher so I spend all day with kids they don’t normally bug me. I am doing a b2b this summer on explore of the seas through Greece and the Adriatic from Ravenna. I am looking forward to this! I would recommend. In 2027 I am hoping to do another European cruise. 2025 I already have booked with a new years cruise and Alaska.

If you are looking for a summer cruise then a Transatlantic cruise is out because Royal sends the ships over to Europe in April for the European season and they return to the US in October and November (I'm doing my first Transatlantic cruise this coming November on Odyssey). 

I've never done a cruise to Norway it is on my bucket list and I heard it is beautiful.  My husband and I have done several Mediterranean cruises on Oasis Class ships those are a lot of fun and generally they tend to be 7 night cruises on Oasis Class ships. Other ships that are smaller have longer itineraries and offer more options when it comes to ports of call.

Which ever cruise you choose one thing is for sure you will not be disappointed. 

5 hours ago, Jill said:

If you want Norway you better go in 2025 because they are putting big restrictions on cruise ships starting in 2026 

Oh no.  Really wanted to go next year but already have 3 great cruises booked so we were going to wait until 2026.   Wanted to book the fjords itinerary, is that not going to be possible in 2026?

They will probably change up itinerarys, because some ports add restrictions whilst others open up for more. There is also a new proposal being voted on now as to whether or not to add a tourist tax for cruise passengers (1$ per passenger or something low like that) to mitigate the pollution issue. So 2026 is not off the table but it is uncertain.. (i reckon 2026 itinearys visiting here in Norway  would probably be more city focused and less fjords focused) 

I noticed the 2025 schedule got released in October/November. My wife and I are going to be celebrating our 5 year anniversary and wanted to do a European cruise. It will be our 4th cruise ever and our first time leaving North America. We looked at the itineraries from 2024 and 2025 and seem to be leaning toward the Mediteran Ones specifically leaving from Barcelona, (traveling around thru italy and greece), ending in athens, greece. 

I noticed Celebrity Cruises has better and more options available for Europe, which makes me sad. We've only ever done Royal Caribbean and they have been amazing. 

14 hours ago, Va4fam said:

Oh no.  Really wanted to go next year but already have 3 great cruises booked so we were going to wait until 2026.   Wanted to book the fjords itinerary, is that not going to be possible in 2026?

There is a phenomenal itinerary this year as a 9-day sailing (Ultimate Fjords) as a part of the World Cruise in August.  However, the price has gone up 67% since we booked it last year.  

7 hours ago, Doug_Texas said:

There is a phenomenal itinerary this year as a 9-day sailing (Ultimate Fjords) as a part of the World Cruise in August.  However, the price has gone up 67% since we booked it last year.  

We considered it but the timing and price escalation didn't work.

On 2/10/2024 at 8:19 AM, Ryansox said:

I noticed the 2025 schedule got released in October/November. My wife and I are going to be celebrating our 5 year anniversary and wanted to do a European cruise. It will be our 4th cruise ever and our first time leaving North America. We looked at the itineraries from 2024 and 2025 and seem to be leaning toward the Mediteran Ones specifically leaving from Barcelona, (traveling around thru italy and greece), ending in athens, greece. 

I noticed Celebrity Cruises has better and more options available for Europe, which makes me sad. We've only ever done Royal Caribbean and they have been amazing. 

Celebrity is owned by Royal and considered their “premium” line. It’s a more “ sophisticated” experience. No waterslides, flow riders etc. Ships are smaller. We booked the fjords for 2025 and I had Indy on hold, for a great price, but opted to go with celebrity apex because the itinerary included Geiranger and Flam, 2 deep fjords. 

I wouldn’t hesitate to book celebrity in the med simply because the itineraries are better and many celebrity sailings are actually lower in cost than Royal. I’ll miss my 5 free drinks a day (they only offer a couple of hours of happy hours in the evening), but being port intensive, I don’t think I’ll miss it too much 

6 hours ago, Jill said:

Ships are smaller. We booked the fjords for 2025 and I had Indy on hold, for a great price, but opted to go with celebrity apex because the itinerary included Geiranger and Flam, 2 deep fjords. 

We booked Indy for August 2025 with a large group the day the deployment was released. When Celebrity released their schedule we jumped on the the Apex Itinerary with Geiranger and Flam. We love both of them. These 2 ports have been specifically mentioned as being closed to non-zero emission ships in 2026. 

It will be our first Celebrity cruise and we are looking forward to it.