Deck 13?

Recently sailed on Voyager of the Seas.

This was our 10th RCCL cruise across 4 different classes.

I have observed that some classes have the 13th deck labelled as deck 13 and some skip to 14 after 12...

I get the 'superstition' reason but wondering why the inconsistency?

Ever been addressed?

11 minutes ago, Leroyr55 said:

Actually I know from planning our cruise Ovation has a deck thirteen 😱

If I remember correctly, Ovation was made for the Chinese market and in many east Asian cultures 4, not 13, is a superstitious number (because the character or word for '4' is often similar to the word for 'death'). And since deck 4 on Quantum class ships is a public deck, Royal had no need to skip a deck

2 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

If I remember correctly, Ovation was made for the Chinese market and in many east Asian cultures 4, not 13, is a superstitious number (because the character or word for '4' is often similar to the word for 'death'). And since deck 4 on Quantum class ships is a public deck, Royal had no need to skip a deck

Spectrum was built specifically for the Chinese market.  She was the fourth ship built in the Quantum class.  Quantum was deployed to China after an initial deployment in America but sending Quantum to Asia wasn't the original plan, it was an afterthought.  Ovation and Anthem have spent the least amount of time in China among the Q class.  

I don't think the presence of a deck 13 on this class is related to any region.  I've yet to hear any sound reasoning behind the inconsistency.   

49 minutes ago, twangster said:

Spectrum was built specifically for the Chinese market.  She was the fourth ship built in the Quantum class.  Quantum was deployed to China after an initial deployment in America but sending Quantum to Asia wasn't the original plan, it was an afterthought.  Ovation and Anthem have spent the least amount of time in China among the Q class.  

I don't think the presence of a deck 13 on this class is related to any region.  I've yet to hear any sound reasoning behind the inconsistency.   

Ah Spectrum that's the one. In that case...I have no idea why it has a habitable deck 13 lol

This is from an old practice with hotels and some other buildings, not just cruise ships.  13 is an unlucky number to some (think of Friday the 13th as another unlucky 13 example), and hotels were not wanting complaints from superstitious guests that had to stay on the 13th floor.  Personally, I think 13 is a great number as I was born on the 13th of May.