Should I be concerned?

After 1 month, I finally got all my refunds for Black Friday sale cruise planner cancellations.

The total amount refunded is correct, but the individual transactions they refunded me for make no sense, and 2 of them are the exact amount for an excursion I only cancelled once. The excursion is still showing reserved when I log in.

I'm wondering if they cancelled it twice by mistake, or just consolidated the transactions. Am I right to be worried, or should I just let it go since the total amount was correct and the excursion’s still showing it’s reserved?

To clarify, I want the excursion to show up as reserved. I was worried it would display as cancelled on their end. Purchased twice, cancelled once. 2 refund transactions for the same amount as the excursion. Don’t understand their math. But the total is correct. I’m guessing they consolidated soda package, Wi-Fi and smaller items into fewer transactions. Don’t want this to get messed up, it’s our Naples excursion, once in a lifetime experience probably. 

5 minutes ago, Starrynight0154 said:

To clarify, I want the excursion to show up as reserved. I was worried it would display as cancelled on their end. Purchased twice, cancelled once. 2 refund transactions for the same amount as the excursion. Don’t understand their math. But the total is correct. I’m guessing they consolidated soda package, Wi-Fi and smaller items into fewer transactions. Don’t want this to get messed up, it’s our Naples excursion, once in a lifetime experience probably. 

So you have two refunds but it equals out to the total of one of the excursions,basically?  Or they refunded you a full refund twice? They tend to break refunds up...I got refunded $25 for something I cancel and got it in two refunds of $15 and $10 for some reason

54 minutes ago, ScottD said:

So you have two refunds but it equals out to the total of one of the excursions,basically?  Or they refunded you a full refund twice? They tend to break refunds up...I got refunded $25 for something I cancel and got it in two refunds of $15 and $10 for some reason

Yes, 2 refunds that equal 1 excursion for $447. However they did the math it was the right total amount due for 7 items needing to be refunded. They usually break mine in half too, that’s why it confused me.

Not to scare you, but.....
I have a February cruise, paid in full via my ttravel agent.
He just received a letter from RC stating I have an outstanding balance.
He spent 2 hours on the phone with them going over charges that are all Black Friday related.  It is extremely unfortunate as I was the one who did all purchases/returns/purchases....I had a total of 18 purchases and 10 returns spread across a number of cruises.
I feel my privacy was violated with them going over ALL of my purchase/return history-which included many cruises that are NOT booked with this travel agent.

I spent another 4 hours on my purchase history, credit card statements and my email confirmation/cancellations for all transactions to reconcile the things I could not figure out.  Royal broke transactions into 6 seperate returns for what was one credit card charge.  Things like this happened numerous times and I had to play detective to find the postings on my statement.  Anyhow, I have it all figured out-there were a number of things that had used OBC so I thought Royal owed ME money!!  but I have now reconciled every single purchase as well as cancellation with them.  I do not owe a penny, nor am I owed a penny.  They currently charged me $183 and change-via my travel agent and then called him back last night to ask for more $. 
Understand that if they think you owe $ they will cancel your cruise if it is not paid in full-according to THEIR paid in full standards. So everything might seem ok but if they can figure out an issue (or invent one) it may just bite you in the....

I have an email into Michael Bayley's office about my situation.  I've also asked my travel agent to bring me into a 3 way call if resolutions calls again.  He shouldn't be privvy to every single line item with Royal on cruise planner purchases for cruises he does not hold the booking for.  I also want a guarantee tha tthe 4 cabins I have booked for my daughter's 21st birthday celebration are not cancelled.
The irony of this is they are saying the issue is regarding hideaway beach. purchases and returns.  My purchases and returns for hideaway were done under MY reservation.  My daughter's reservation only dealt with Internet and beverage packages.  Resolutions says that they somehow charged a purchase to the balance of my sailing, just yesterday issued a refund (not anywhere on my credit card statement) and then had the TA charge me via my card on file.  I figure worst ase scenario is I do a dispute with my credit card company, but I would have to wait til the cruise ends in March-I want to be sure I get onboard that ship!

24 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

He spent 2 hours on the phone with them going over charges that are all Black Friday related.  It is extremely unfortunate as I was the one who did all purchases/returns/purchases....I had a total of 18 purchases and 10 returns spread across a number of cruises.
I feel my privacy was violated with them going over ALL of my purchase/return history-which included many cruises that are NOT booked with this travel agent.

I spent another 4 hours on my purchase history, credit card statements and my email confirmation/cancellations for all transactions to reconcile the things I could not figure out.  Royal broke transactions into 6 seperate returns for what was one credit card charge.  Things like this happened numerous times and I had to play detective to find the postings on my statement.  Anyhow, I have it all figured out-there were a number of things that had used OBC so I thought Royal owed ME money!!  but I have now reconciled every single purchase as well as cancellation with them.  I do not owe a penny, nor am I owed a penny.  They currently charged me $183 and change-via my travel agent and then called him back last night to ask for more $. 
Understand that if they think you owe $ they will cancel your cruise if it is not paid in full-according to THEIR paid in full standards. So everything might seem ok but if they can figure out an issue (or invent one) it may just bite you in the....

I have an email into Michael Bayley's office about my situation.  I've also asked my travel agent to bring me into a 3 way call if resolutions calls again.  He shouldn't be privvy to every single line item with Royal on cruise planner purchases for cruises he does not hold the booking for.  I also want a guarantee tha tthe 4 cabins I have booked for my daughter's 21st birthday celebration are not cancelled.
The irony of this is they are saying the issue is regarding hideaway beach. purchases and returns.  My purchases and returns for hideaway were done under MY reservation.  My daughter's reservation only dealt with Internet and beverage packages.  Resolutions says that they somehow charged a purchase to the balance of my sailing, just yesterday issued a refund (not anywhere on my credit card statement) and then had the TA charge me via my card on file.  I figure worst ase scenario is I do a dispute with my credit card company, but I would have to wait til the cruise ends in March-I want to be sure I get onboard that ship!

I've seen a few posts about this exact issue lately, someone on Reddit is having the exact same issue!

• 3 months later...
On 12/20/2023 at 10:02 AM, Pattycruise said:

Can you tell us about the update regarding this issue? 

I was just charged an amount towards my cruise balance for excursions/purchases that were previously charged on my credit card and paid in full. 

This additional charge were added to balance I owe you my travel agency. 

I've emailed TA with all the info, waiting for reply back. 

In the end

after they said I owed money

they put a credit on my credit card on file for the first portion, and then put a charge for that same amount  on that same card which zeroed out my balance due
Then they put another credit on my card on file for the remainder of the balance of the item purchased and again a charge of the same amount to zero out the charge.

i wholeheartedly believe it was an IT issue. Somehow the system showed an additional refund of $ -taken from a fully paid cruise balance-  on returned items that were already credited to me from the original form of payment.  The original refund was accounted for.  There was no way anyone owed -me to them or them to me. I think the only way they could clear this bizarre accounting error was to issue a refund and then charge it again. The reason it was done in 2 parts was the purchase was done for a few cabins and despite paying “$100 for 2 cabins item reservations” when Royal refunds it shows as “$50 and $50”  their refunds are broken down to “per cabin refunds” so essentially 2 different charges/refunds had to be done to clear their system. 

12 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

In the end

after they said I owed money

they put a credit on my credit card on file for the first portion, and then put a charge for that same amount  on that same card which zeroed out my balance due
Then they put another credit on my card on file for the remainder of the balance of the item purchased and again a charge of the same amount to zero out the charge.

i wholeheartedly believe it was an IT issue. Somehow the system showed an additional refund of $ -taken from a fully paid cruise balance-  on returned items that were already credited to me from the original form of payment.  The original refund was accounted for.  There was no way anyone owed -me to them or them to me. I think the only way they could clear this bizarre accounting error was to issue a refund and then charge it again. The reason it was done in 2 parts was the purchase was done for a few cabins and despite paying “$100 for 2 cabins item reservations” when Royal refunds it shows as “$50 and $50”  their refunds are broken down to “per cabin refunds” so essentially 2 different charges/refunds had to be done to clear their system. 

Thanks for the update. 

Hopefully my similar problem, gets sorted out as well. 

Waiting for my TA to email me back. Since I've just recently found out about this problem. 

Reading these post lets me know I'm not alone as I wait patiently for my refunds.   I hear Matt say book things early and get refunded if prices change.  While that sounds good, it seems to cause confusion on RC end as they take too long to refund you or don't refund you at all.   It takes the a second to charge you and forever to refund you.  I just don't feel I should have to make 20 phones calls before my issue is resolved.  But if I want my money I will do it.  

25 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You don't get refunded if price changes. You just get the lower fare reflected on your final balance due.

Well if you cancel and rebook, which is what Matt says, you will get a refund. Which is what I have experienced.

3 minutes ago, Fastfaller said:

Well if you cancel and rebook, which is what Matt says, you will get a refund. Which is what I have experienced.

That's not the problem. I'm not sure, maybe you've misunderstood the problem of this thread and mine as well. 

Royal posts the charge of excursions or purchases to the cruise balance. Even though they were paid for. 

For some reason the system thinking that you owe them money because it sees the refunds, but does not see the payment that followed it. 

So even though all is paid, especially the cruise. They sort want more money or your cruise is getting canceled! 

36 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You don't get refunded if price changes. You just get the lower fare reflected on your final balance due.

Does that apply to drink packages too?  Because rep on phone said they had to cancel my order and refund me and then have me repurchase.   I did this for the refresher package for myself (husband has DBP) and my grandson who is a minor (his dad has DBP).  I gave my credit card information over the phone again for the new purchase.  Looked at my credit card statement and I see full charge for new purchase but no refund or price difference.

24 minutes ago, Gilley said:

Does that apply to drink packages too?  Because rep on phone said they had to cancel my order and refund me and then have me repurchase.   I did this for the refresher package for myself (husband has DBP) and my grandson who is a minor (his dad has DBP).  I gave my credit card information over the phone again for the new purchase.  Looked at my credit card statement and I see full charge for new purchase but no refund or price difference.

Did you had a balance problem? 

Or just trying to save money? 

31 minutes ago, Gilley said:

No... @smokeybandit is referring to cruise fare price drops. If you want to reprice a Cruise Planner purchase you need to cancel and rebuy at the lower price.  It's advisable to always cancel through the Cruise Planner as it will generate a cancelation email for your records. If you call in to cancel, I would make sure you have a cancelation email before hanging up. Credit card refunds always take significantly longer..the purchases go through immediately.

25 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

No... @smokeybandit is referring to cruise fare price drops. If you want to reprice a Cruise Planner purchase you need to cancel and rebuy at the lower price.  It's advisable to always cancel through the Cruise Planner as it will generate a cancelation email for your records. If you call in to cancel, I would make sure you have a cancelation email before hanging up. Credit card refunds always take significantly longer..the purchases go through immediately.

25 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Thanks.  I have all my cancellation emails saved.