Can I make this flight? (Amsterdam)

Dan49

RC Jewel of the Seas docks at 6am in Amsterdam on 7/18/24. I currently have a 10:45 Delta flight to Atlanta.  Is that doable? Thinking to disembark ship, gather our bags and take a taxi to Schopol Airport around 7am planning to arrive between 7:30-8

Edited by SpeedNoodles
changed title from name to actual subject

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to Can I make this flight? (Amsterdam)

Our return flight departs at 10:55am and is offered by Air-2-Sea.. (we normally use that as a guide). 

We normally walk off with our bags to fast track the departure. 

Arrange your transportation in advance; the airport is not too far away. 

Assuming all on schedule - you'll be at the airport by 8 - 8:30am. 

I've scheduled my flight back to the US for that afternoon on the off chance anything delays the ship docking or allowing us ashore. Then there's potential issues between the cruise terminal and airport. With how full flights are, which means limited rebooking options if a flight is missed, I'm not taking the chance with a morning flight.

We are on the same sailing: Jewel of the Seas 7/18/2024

Yes 10:45 is fine for disembarking in Amsterdam.  I will book the Cruise Only transfer offered by Royal Caribbean on this same 10:45 am Delta flight for this same cruise on Jewel of the Seas. ( They will transfer passengers on flights leaving as early as 10:30am. 

So to be safe, book the Royal Caribbean's transfer.  In my experience the transfers offered by Royal Caribbean get you to the airport in plenty of time. They do not take chances on people missing flights. 

We'll see you on board and hopefully on the transfer.  Phillip

I'm not being mean or dismissive when I say this: 

If you have to ask the question then you already know the answer.  It really is that simple because one thing goes wrong and you've missed your flight, and I can promise you you will not get to the airport by 7:30 am. 

You need to go  with the worst case senecio but being optimistic is lets say 8:30 am arrival at the airport so now lets work our way from there.  Keepin in mind you'll have to stand in line to check in your bags. Also Delta operates 18 daily nonstop flights out of AMS to the US most of those flights leave in the morning so expect long lines just to check-in your bags. After you check-in you have to go through departure proceeding which is another line and after that you then have to go through security which is again another line. If Delta operates like the airline I work for, on international flights back to the US they release all seat assignments 25 minutes before scheduled departure, once your seat has been released if they have standby passengers (and they will) they give your seat to standby passengers.  So in all honesty you'll need to be at the gate by 10:20 am at the absolute latest. 

Now let me ask you this do you actually think you have enough time to make that flight knowing the doors won't open until 7 am?

I've been on ships where I departed earlier, some departed on time and some up to an hour late. My office in the Toronto area. I intentionally go in and leave outside of rush hour traffic (if there really is a thing). I can drive 50 times, the first 49 I have no hurry to get home and it's smooth sailing. The one time I need to be home and they were be 50 accidents, highways closures, you name it. I guess what I'm saying is this thing called Murphy's Law, I seen it in action and prepare for it

On 11/12/2023 at 1:38 PM, Dan49 said:

RC Jewel of the Seas docks at 6am in Amsterdam on 7/18/24. I currently have a 10:45 Delta flight to Atlanta.  Is that doable? Thinking to disembark ship, gather our bags and take a taxi to Schopol Airport around 7am planning to arrive between 7:30-8

We had a cruise that ended in Amsterdam a few years ago.  We scheduled an 11:45 flight out of Amsterdam. We carried our luggage off and had a private driver waiting for us at the port to take us to the airport. We were flying business class so had the shortest lines.  However, we barely made it and are sure that others on the cruise did not.  Why, because the customs in Amsterdam delayed arriving and clearing the ship for over 1 1/2 hours.  10:45 is way too early

Early airport ship transfers to AMS airport:  Your time to leave the ship should be 6:45am according to past RC cruises in Amsterdam.

Looks like  rush hour in Amsterdam is later in the morning as work hours there are usually 9:00 to 5:00 or 5:30. 

So, I still think our 10:45 Delta flight is OK.