Nassau help

heysi1968

I often read on here that people have "been to Nassau a dozen times and they don't even bother to get off the ship"...... but at some point they must have found something to do in Nassau. So can I get a list of things to actually do? I know its a small city and that after a few visits....it gets a bit boring.....but there has to be something that someone that has never been there before should do when they visit. So come on folks.....tell me what you remember doing that was fun....at least once.

4 hours ago, heysi1968 said:

I often read on here that people have "been to Nassau a dozen times and they don't even bother to get off the ship"...... but at some point they must have found something to do in Nassau. So can I get a list of things to actually do? I know its a small city and that after a few visits....it gets a bit boring.....but there has to be something that someone that has never been there before should do when they visit. So come on folks.....tell me what you remember doing that was fun....at least once.

Have you been to Nassau before? If not take one of the excursions either thru Royal or a third party excursion site that goes around the island and stops at various places. We've been to Nassau quite a few times, so whenever a cruise takes us there, we just opt for a day pass at an all inclusive resort.

My first time in Nassau was just last month. What I did was The Weekend Cruiser's walking tour of Nassau. The only drawback was it was Sunday so hardly anything was open, but it gave me a great experience walking in the city away from the main strip and seeing some things I probably wouldn't have seen before. I got off the ship right around 7:30am, so it was quiet, not horribly hot, and very few people were out and about.

I'm just going to post a few non-tourist-spot photos that I took along my walking tour way. I would love to do this again when it's not so hot!

image.thumb.png.9e9b6f22c3a00b948ac30943f409ac26.png

Above: The street in front of Graycliff, facing east

image.thumb.png.654a1757f5f378fbed64ae469e625bd1.png

Above: Cool stairs I saw along the route

image.thumb.png.6015a76cdb8085ac813a2c73a14f52d2.png

Above: I can't remember what this building was, but I took this photo to remember that this was where I saw the largest rat I've ever seen in my entire life scamper by! 🤣

I second @Cactus527 recommendation.  Check out The Weekend Cruiser's video!  We really enjoy visiting John Watling's https://www.johnwatlings.com for a drink while walking around Nassau.  The new port area is also very nice (https://youtu.be/2piVCYs4OLU?si=wP4W6m4JP2Pu_RvB).  If you are up for an adventure, take the #10 bus (https://www.nassaucruiseport.com/transportation-parking#:~:text=Bus%2FJitney%3A Take the Route,will take about 19 minutes.) to Cable Beach and go to the Daiquiri Shack (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147416-d6922323-Reviews-Daiquiri_Shack-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html).  They have great drinks and you get a nice tour when riding the inexpensive public jitney busses.

On 10/14/2023 at 11:36 PM, RH_cruise said:

I'm watching this thread. My hubby are I are meant to be in Nassau in December and are planning to wing it maybe, I'm having trouble finding anyone saying anything good about this stop. 

Probably not the best place to “wing it” unless you know what you are getting into. 

I really dislike this stop, however, there is a catamaran snorkeling excursion that was fun and we had a good time (kids) at Blue Lagoon  minus the tourist prices for the local beer (which is not great beer anyway IMHO). The Atlantis water park excursion is a huge rip off and unless you are Army Infantry, the walk(s) back and forth from the various pools will basically flat line you. Good luck. I normally take a cab to Atlantis or Baha Mar and gamble while the wife and kids hang out on the ship. Nassau rating IMHO a 2.999/10.00 which equates to a crime ridden wasteland with one or two positives but everyone has an opinion. 

DH, DS and I enjoyed the "Adventure Jeeps, Beach & Local Lunch" excursion offered by Royal, although it could have done to be about an hour longer, as we only had time for half an hour at the beach at the very end of the tour.

The food served at the local lunch was very tasty. It was a fun excursion. You do need to bear in mind that the jeeps take 4 people so if there are fewer than four in your party you may have to share with others.

Depending on the time of the tour, you may do lunch first or last.

We got this tour heavily discounted during the Black Friday sale, at $68.99 pp. In the week before we sailed I saw it at $100.

PXL_20230428_174242128.thumb.jpg.ce66a43c6f48403005f0f6d5553d35de.jpg

PXL_20230428_184005365_MP.thumb.jpg.362a0e913cf6cdcc0c8e1e2289b7c596.jpg

PXL_20230428_184417755.thumb.jpg.00d59c664a751c0a3ac31bf9f4ee952a.jpg

PXL_20230428_185108370.thumb.jpg.0ad2db74097b793d90d19bb5c3f16156.jpg

PXL_20230428_185316688.thumb.jpg.c9de69010f2fc034790feb64a4517e0e.jpg

PXL_20230428_190008045_MP.thumb.jpg.04229d5afc6788ad386ee00edae51ec8.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice (Please continue to post any other advice....its very helpful).

So far I'm thinking I may walk to the Queen's stairs (the wife's requested stop) then head across to John Watling's for some rum (thank you @instaGator and then head to the Pirate Museum. Basically a big triangle across the near part of the city. I know people are suggesting a beach visit.....but I grew up in Redondo Beach so I'm all full up on beach days from when I was a kid....plus I think Coco Cay covers that pretty well on the cruise.

Again, I'm still open to suggestions. I know that this stop has been given a low score on the "things to do" list...but I know this group has done most everything there is to do.  I appreciate the help.