First Cruise for Family in August 2024-Thrill Island Water Park at Perfect Day

Jayalekznder

Hi!!!

My family and I have a cruise in August of 2024-it will be our first cruise. My son and daughter will be 8 and 6 and I was wondering if the Thrill Waterpark at CocoCay would be worth it considering its about 200$ per person. Our ship Freedom has the Perfect Storm waterslides onboard and Splash Away Bay, so I was curious if we should consider it or just enjoy another excursion/activity?

Personally, just personally I say no way. Is it really 200  bucks a person now!? There is so much awesome free stuff to do I don't think its worth it. Our son was 9 and he had a blast just doing free stuff, we didn't send an extra dime on that island except for souvenirs. (a couple of shirts and some other little stuff) Splash away bay AWESOME and free. Oasis lagoon AWESOME and free, Harbour beach AWESOME and free! We had a freaking blast without spending extra. 

I agree, there is plenty to do for free.  If your kids were older water slide enthusiasts maybe it would be worth it but for me the prices are too high right now. It’s hard at that age to know how interested they will be in the park versus everything else there is to do. I’d say wait until they are older 

My kids have gone three times to CocoCay.  This past time (Thanksgiving 2022) we got the water park for under $50, and even at that price we decided never again.  We left after maybe 1.5 hours, the lines were crazy and the kids were not impressed.  We did head back in the last hour we were on the island, and the lines were down to nothing.  But we all decided we would not do it again, the kids are just as happy enjoying the free parts of the island.

If you are going to Nassau, Baja Mar offers a better water park experience than PDDC for less.  I would do my water park day there and enjoy the included stuff at PDCC.  As others have noted, PDCC slides have long lines.  We always end up in the wave pool, and the oasis lagoon is almost as good without a charge. It is hard to justify $200 pp for the PDCC water park.

We were there with 2 ships (Anthem and Freedom) in March and the lines weren't bad at all for the slides.  All of the slides are fun for sure.  Having said that, we paid $83 on a Black Friday sale and at that price, it was fun and worth it.  For the $207 it is now, we'll do Aquaventure at Atlantis.  I wouldn't touch Thrill for anything more than $125 and only then if I was taking someone who had never been.  For repeat visits, I think $75-$80 and that's it.

I don't think they can sustain demand at the $200 price, but they look to be trying.

On 9/11/2023 at 8:16 PM, RCIfan1912 said:

Personally, just personally I say no way. Is it really 200  bucks a person now!? There is so much awesome free stuff to do I don't think its worth it. Our son was 9 and he had a blast just doing free stuff, we didn't send an extra dime on that island except for souvenirs. (a couple of shirts and some other little stuff) Splash away bay AWESOME and free. Oasis lagoon AWESOME and free, Harbour beach AWESOME and free! We had a freaking blast without spending extra. 

231$ per adult and child at the moment and it's on a 10 percent discount!!! That's why I was a little curious as to whether or not the splurge would be worth it. Thanks for your advice RClfan1912!!! we'll stick with what CocoCay has to offer that is complimentary and save our vacation money for other vacation memories!

On 9/11/2023 at 8:48 PM, 27th Lady said:

I agree, there is plenty to do for free.  If your kids were older water slide enthusiasts maybe it would be worth it but for me the prices are too high right now. It’s hard at that age to know how interested they will be in the park versus everything else there is to do. I’d say wait until they are older 

Thank you 27th Lady!!! being their first cruise I am quite certain they will come to love Royal Caribbean and it would pave the way for more family cruises in the future. Later on we can take a look at Thrill Water Park but for now we'll enjoy what CocoCay has to offer that is complimentary

On 9/11/2023 at 8:57 PM, sleepy425 said:

My kids have gone three times to CocoCay.  This past time (Thanksgiving 2022) we got the water park for under $50, and even at that price we decided never again.  We left after maybe 1.5 hours, the lines were crazy and the kids were not impressed.  We did head back in the last hour we were on the island, and the lines were down to nothing.  But we all decided we would not do it again, the kids are just as happy enjoying the free parts of the island.

Under 50$ wow and for us it's showing up as 231$ per person, even for the children on the Cruise Planner!!! thanks for your feedback, we'll enjoy what CocoCay has to offer that's complimentary for this sailing

On 9/12/2023 at 12:54 AM, Babsy47 said:

If you are going to Nassau, Baja Mar offers a better water park experience than PDDC for less.  I would do my water park day there and enjoy the included stuff at PDCC.  As others have noted, PDCC slides have long lines.  We always end up in the wave pool, and the oasis lagoon is almost as good without a charge. It is hard to justify $200 pp for the PDCC water park.

Our sailing is doing an Eastern Caribbean without a stop in Nassau, but considering its on Freedom of the Seas that had the last Royal Amplification before the pandemic-we may just enjoy the perfect storm slides on the ship and the splash zones. Would we go on another cruise later on though, I will definitely be looking at Baja Mar in Nassau-thank you Babsy47!!!

23 hours ago, Xaa said:

We were there with 2 ships (Anthem and Freedom) in March and the lines weren't bad at all for the slides.  All of the slides are fun for sure.  Having said that, we paid $83 on a Black Friday sale and at that price, it was fun and worth it.  For the $207 it is now, we'll do Aquaventure at Atlantis.  I wouldn't touch Thrill for anything more than $125 and only then if I was taking someone who had never been.  For repeat visits, I think $75-$80 and that's it.

I don't think they can sustain demand at the $200 price, but they look to be trying.

I agree, I know that Royal Caribbean is a business and that they need to make a profit and clear the massive debt they had over the course of the pandemic so they're looking at strategies to increase that profitability, but hopefully one day the Thrill Water Park prices will come down to a more modest price and I will listen to your advice and not consider unless it's under 125. Thank you!!!!

18 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I think the hard part with Thrill Waterpark tends to be the lines and feeling like you've gotten enough runs on the slides to justify the cost. I would personally think at $200/person in the middle of peak season...no...not worth it.

True, I didnt think of it in terms of wait times and stretching the value of the price over how much we would actually be benefitting from the slides. My family and I will enjoy CocoCay without Thrill Water Park this time around, either way its a complete surprise vacation for them and as a family we have never been in the Caribbean. In the past I used to work on the Celebrity Eclipse and loved exploring the Caribbean on my own but they have never been so I want them to see and explore all that I had the chance to when I was younger. 

We had our first RCL cruise this past Feb and definitely debated if we should do the water park or not. It wasn't quite as expensive as you are seeing but was still well over $100/person

We opted not to and honestly found there was a ton to do on the island without it.

So if you are wondering if you *need* to do this to get the full experience/have enough to do for first timers I say you definitely don't - we don't regret not getting it and are definitely not getting it either on our upcoming cruise in Feb'24