Diamond Plus B1G1 specialty restaurant question.

Jzx1103

Question about Diamond Plus buy 1 get 1 specialty dining. So I heard somewhere Hooked is excluded from B1G1 for some reason, so is it just excluded as the free restaurant? Are you allowed to pay for Hooked and get Chops or 150 Central Park for free then? Or do you not even get a free meal if you book Hooked as the paid restaurant? Hooked is actually our favorite specialty restaurant since we both love seafood. 

"Buy any specialty restaurant dinner on the first/second night of your cruise and receive complimentary dining for second guest. Reservation must be made for dinner on the first or second night (excludes Izumi Hibachi, Teppanyaki, Chef’s Table & Hooked Seafood)"

This seems to say it is for 2 guests at the same restaurant on the same night and only the 1st or 2nd night of the cruise.

We like the Chops +1 dining package.  We just reached Diamond+ so you got my hopes up that we wouldn't need to purchase Chops +1.

57 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Many will let you use the BOGO on any nights you want (as long as you book on night 1 or 2), some let you use it on lunch, etc.

Can I use my Diamond+ benefit at Chops on the first night or second night so my wife gets her meal for free?   

Before we leave Chops,  can  my wife use her Diamond+ benefit and reserve another restaurant so my meal can be free at the second restaurant?

3 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

Can I use my Diamond+ benefit at Chops on the first night or second night so my wife gets her meal for free?   

Before we leave Chops,  can  my wife use her Diamond+ benefit and reserve another restaurant so my meal can be free at the second restaurant?

Yes.  When you board head to any of the locations that book specialty dining and discuss your wishes and they will guide you

10 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

What sort of twists???

Some ships are very strict in enforcing the days you can eat the meals while others are more flexible.  You must eat a dinner on day 1 and/or day 2, all other days are not allowed.  A different ship interprets it to mean make the reservation on day 1 or 2 for a meal any night.  Another ship might allow you to make the reservation at any time during the cruise, for a meal anytime during the cruise.  

Some ships enforce the restaurants listed yet while in practice some ships don't always enforce the venues. 

Some ships interpret that the BOGO applies to one specific visit.  One person pays, a 2nd guest is free for that specific dinner only.   That works for a couple but this would prevent a solo guest from using the BOGO.  Most ships allow a solo guest to pay for one cover charge at one venue then eat at a second restaurant on another night for their free meal.   Sometimes on some ships a solo guest has to escalate this to management.

Consider the first point with the last point if they are on a ship with a Coastal Kitchen and staying in a suite.  What if they want to visit CK for the filet on night one?  That only leaves day 2 for the BOGO.  A solo guest is then locked out of the BOGO and a D+/P couple can't both use their BOGO.   Some ships do just that, other ships allow the second meal on another night.  

Some ships randomly add other conditions or venues as they see fit.    

Some ships don't have that many specialty venues.   If one venue is sold out on night 1 or 2 it effectively renders the BOGO unusable if they strictly enforce some or all of the points above.   For example Enchantment only has Chops.  If Chops is full on day 1 or 2 then no BOGO.   Other ships have 3 specialty venues, others have more.  When a ship enforces one or more of the points above it can render the BOGO useless or very restrictive for that ship.    

8 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Yes.  When you board head to any of the locations that book specialty dining and discuss your wishes and they will guide you

If I make a reservation for just me on cruise planner before the cruise with the reservation being on the first or second day of the cruise.... when I'm on the cruise can I subsequently invite my wife as my guest and still get my BOGO Diamond+ benefit?

1 minute ago, Dad2Cue said:

If I make a reservation for just me on cruise planner before the cruise with the reservation being on the first or second day of the cruise.... when I'm on the cruise can I subsequently invite my wife as my guest and still get my BOGO benefit?

You can try. It has worked for some. If they follow the rules, you must make the reservation onboard at the onboard price.

Chances are it will work, but they may or may not reprice it at the onboard price.

This week on Grandeur the BOGO worked like I hoped it would.  On night #1 we ate at Chops.  We both paid full price for our meals.  We have reservations at Chops again on night #4 and on that occasion, both of our meals should “free”.  Tomorrow is night #4.  If we run into a snag I will let you know !

2 weeks ago, on Wonder, we weren’t so lucky.  There, we were required to use all of our BOGO meals on nights 1 and 2.  Since we also had the 3 night package, we just re-arranged our eating itin and it worked out but this was a bit of an unnecessary nuisance.  I really don’t think the lady helping us with our dining reservations knew what she was talking about when she forced us to jam all of our BOGO’s into the first 2 nights but it is what it is….

39 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

You can try. It has worked for some, not for others. If they follow the rules, you must make the reservation onboard at the onboard price.

Chances are it will work, but they may or may not reprice it at the onboard price.

Sounds like there's no harm done by trying this ... I wouldn't want to blow up their reservation system.  We are doing a B2B on Jewel soon.  I will figure out what works on the first cruise and try to replicate it on the second cruise. 

Gratuities are always a dilemma with these BOGO deals.  We try to be generous.  The gratuities can wind up being more than the cost of the dinner.  We usually consider the prepaid 18% as part of the cost of the dinner.   We add additional gratuity but sometimes that seems overly generous.

3 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Gratuities are always a dilemma with these BOGO deals.  We try to be generous.  The gratuities can wind up being more than the cost of the dinner.

Huh? You'd have to tip a total of 50% of the full 2 meal price to match paying for one meal. That's one hell of a tip.