CK and MDR menus

We have never been on a ship that had a Coastal Kitchen, but we will be in a few weeks.  We're quite convinced that the CK experience and food quality sound preferable to the MDR.  We're curious though about how the menus compare?  In the MDR, we could always find an entree that we were interested in ordering.  Is that generally the case in CK also?  I realize that what pleases one may not please another.  Any thoughts from those who have experienced both quite a bit?  Thanks for your help.

1 minute ago, happy cruisers 2 said:

We have never been on a ship that had a Coastal Kitchen, but we will be in a few weeks.  We're quite convinced that the CK experience and food quality sound preferable to the MDR.  We're curious though about how the menus compare?  In the MDR, we could always find an entree that we were interested in ordering.  Is that generally the case in CK also?  I realize that what pleases one may not please another.  Any thoughts from those who have experienced both quite a bit?  Thanks for your help.

1. You can view the CK menu in the app. If it doesn't appear for your sailing, just look at the current sailing.

2. CK is MUCH better than the MDR, IMO. Night one filet is excellent.

We find the food in the CK to be slightly above the level of the MDR.  It's the ambiance of the restaurant that makes the difference.  The CK is orderly and reasonably serene - especially when compared to the mania of the MDR.  Don't be expecting Michelin-level menus.  They aren't.  As @OCSC Mike mentioned, be sure and be there for the filet night if you like steak.  It is usually on the first night but Oasis had changed theirs up for a while.  Not sure when filet night is on any of the O/Q class ships anymore, but your Concierge will know so when he/she contacts you (about 5 days in advance of sailing) you can ask and find out.

21 minutes ago, happy cruisers 2 said:

Any thoughts from those who have experienced both

If I had to choose between MDR and CK, it would be CK hands-down every time.  I agree with @OCSC Mike and @WAAAYTOOO, but as you said, pleasure is in the eye of the beholder. 

Also, try CK for lunch and breakfast for sure.

Goods eats!

Thanks for the helpful replies!  We currently have MTD reservations every night of the cruise.  Here's our plan.  We're thinking that since we will favor CK, we will ask the suite concierge to reserve the table situation we want nightly in CK.  We will also keep our MTD reservations.  Daily (or sooner) we will check menus and cancel that night's reservation that we will not need (usually MDR, probably).  Let me know if this seems an unreasonable way to handle it.

I don’t think you will be able to be double booked for reservations. If you book one early and one much later it MIGHT work, but I don’t think their reservation system will allow overlapping times. I know that if you book an MDR reservation at a time, you cannot book a speciality restaurant reservation for the following 2 hours. The system simply won’t do it. I doubt it’s any different for CK

Good point about the double booking.  Thanks for pointing that out, Ryan79.  Makes sense that you can't reserve two places.  We originally thought CK would be an infrequent place to eat, but I've now learned that it's the preferred place if you are in a suite.  Mostly it will depend on what looks most appealing on the menus.

For us, there are 2 nights in a typical 7 night Caribbean itin that we prefer the menu in the MDR - lobster night and the night they serve the lamb shank, which is typically the last night of the cruise.

Back in the day, you could ask the CK to please serve your preferred dish from the MDR even if it is not on the CK menu, but I believe that they have mostly discontinued this practice. That means, if we want the lobster tail (which is much better than it used to be, IMO) or the lamb shank you will have to go to the MDR on those nights.  Other than those 2 nights - for us - the CK menu will most likely be at least as good as the MDR menu and the service and ambiance in the CK will always be superior, for us.

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Back in the day, you could ask the CK to please serve your preferred dish from the MDR even if it is not on the CK menu, but I believe that they have mostly discontinued this practice.

I think it's a YMMV thing. CK did bring us a few MDR items on Wonder in June. The catch, of course, is that the MDR food may not be super hot to begin with... by the time it gets to deck 17... you get the idea. That said, the members of my family who did this thought their MDR food was fine in CK, just could have been warmer.

26 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I think it's a YMMV thing. CK did bring us a few MDR items on Wonder in June. The catch, of course, is that the MDR food may not be super hot to begin with... by the time it gets to deck 17... you get the idea. That said, the members of my family who did this thought their MDR food was fine in CK, just could have been warmer.

Thanks for that !  Maybe there's still hope.  

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Back in the day, you could ask the CK to please serve your preferred dish from the MDR even if it is not on the CK menu, but I believe that they have mostly discontinued this practice. That means, if we want the lobster tail (which is much better than it used to be, IMO) or the lamb shank you will have to go to the MDR on those nights.

Interesting data point for you, @WAAAYTOOO.  This past week were in CK on Allure during MDR lobster night (poached lobster night in CK).  Our server told us that there was "an off menu option" that night that was the traditional lobster tail, and that he could also do it as a surf and turf.  He also told us that as a suite perk, CK diners do not have to pay extra for additional tails. He even brought a few out just for my boys to try them.  Not sure if this is official policy, unofficial policy, or a ship by ship case.

CK is definitely a preferable place just to beat the noise and crowds if nothing else. Comfy seats, calm atmosphere, great food. Also they still have the apple blossom which the MDR dropped once the menus changed.

In terms of food quality, I like to think of it as MDR+. I think both venues have great food but CK has the benefit of small batch cooking vs MDR and CK uses more flavorful ingredients like truffle that the MDR probably steers away from since they have to cater to so many.

Also, the bar is right there so no waiting 20 minutes for a drink (no shade on the MDR for that - no one was smart enough to put a bar in there I guess?)